811 Software Updated to 262

I have my 811 connected with component cables to my toshiba rear projection TV. The picture looks 10 times better with SD than it did with my old 301 receiver. Not as much pixelation and the picture is actually brighter.

oldman said:
Thanks,

I got the download and it totally fixed the aspect problem. Every channel fills up the TV screen on strech and looks great on my 50" Samsung DLP, I'm using DVI connection for all channels.
Thanks Dish, now please fix the dark problem and add more HD programming

How do you like your Samsung DLP HDTV? I have the same 50" TV coming on Wednesday.
Ron

928gt said:
It does stretch SD using the DVI output and remembers your "mode" setting when going from SD to HD channels just like the 6000 did , BUT it doesn't quite stretch SD all the way horizonally, even on full zoom. Lacks about an inch on each side of my 46" plasma.

Your post had me worried. Just got home and checked this and fortunately, I'm not finding any problems. On both my plasma and a widescreen 22" Mits LCD HD set, the stretch completely fills the screen. There is only minimal overscan on both sets. I'm not sure why your set isn't filling the screen.

I haven't seen anyone mention how fast the 811 changes aspect modes. No picture loss during the change. The 6000 was agony in comparison. Took a few seconds to change the aspect mode and picture and sound were lost during the change. A major improvement over the 6000.

After the software update the picture fills the screen for SD channels, but I've noticed that the picture quality of SD is considerably worse through the DVI connection than it is through the s-video. So for now I'll probably continue to swap back and forth using DVI for HD only and s-video for SD. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Your post had me worried. Just got home and checked this and fortunately, I'm not finding any problems. On both my plasma and a widescreen 22" Mits LCD HD set, the stretch completely fills the screen. There is only minimal overscan on both sets. I'm not sure why your set isn't filling the screen.

It only doesn't fill the screenwhen using the DVI connection and ONLY with SD, all HD fills screen completely. Component fills the screen completely. But when you do "grey bars" with the 811 there is still a gap between the bars and the video and this can not be due to a TV issue.

Try this on S-Video, Component or DVI outputs and maybe you will see what I am talking about :

Select "Grey Bar" aspect mode with an SD channel, look closely at the left and right edges where the grey meets the video and you may see a thin black area. It is sort of like the SD "box" isn't quite being filled completely with the actual video. Of course this could be just on my 811, but both of mine do the same thing.

Dave

PJH said:
After the software update the picture fills the screen for SD channels, but I've noticed that the picture quality of SD is considerably worse through the DVI connection than it is through the s-video. So for now I'll probably continue to swap back and forth using DVI for HD only and s-video for SD. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The 6000 looked that same way. The up conversion softens the picture.

Jerry G said:
I haven't seen anyone mention how fast the 811 changes aspect modes. No picture loss during the change. The 6000 was agony in comparison. Took a few seconds to change the aspect mode and picture and sound were lost during the change. A major improvement over the 6000.

I just noticed this and was going to post about it also. This is a major improement over the 6000. Now if they would fix the guide.

Re: dim picture

I wasn't suggesting that it would FIX anybody's problems, just making a suggestion of something to try for those that might not have. I have a an 811 with a Sony HD direct-view and I don't have the problem that I have noticed up to this point. Just trying to be helpful.

I was not trying to be rude, I was merely pointing out that those adjustments do not resolve the issue. You may not have watched programming yet that highlights the problem. Your set may some how be different masking the problem, but its really annoying for the many others that are experiencing this issue.

928gt said:

It only doesn't fill the screenwhen using the DVI connection and ONLY with SD, all HD fills screen completely. Component fills the screen completely. But when you do "grey bars" with the 811 there is still a gap between the bars and the video and this can not be due to a TV issue.

Try this on S-Video, Component or DVI outputs and maybe you will see what I am talking about :

Select "Grey Bar" aspect mode with an SD channel, look closely at the left and right edges where the grey meets the video and you may see a thin black area. It is sort of like the SD "box" isn't quite being filled completely with the actual video. Of course this could be just on my 811, but both of mine do the same thing.

Dave

You are right about that, you will see a black edge where video meets the gray bar and that is because it is part of picture(If you see it closely it is moving not a static color). If you tune to a channel like HBO Channel#300 you won't see this thing but I think dish should do it like 6000 although we might loose some part of video but who cares anyway it was a 4X3 pic.

Spoke to Dish this evening..

They are taking reports on the dark video and starting a trending report. I assume this means if they get enough calls about this issue, that action will be taken. Or they are working on the problem and want as much feedback as possible.

So the more people that are experiencing the Dark SD video problem that call about this issue the sooner we might get some feedback about a resolution now that Dish has relased 2.62 perhaps they will focus on this issue..

Can anyone else confirm that the 811 send out an audio signal though the TOSLink cable even with the 811 off?

Neutron - yes and this is very common with satellite receives (even most of the toslink switchers mention this fact)

rad said:
There was also a slight change to how PSIP worked on the OTA channels. There's one channel that worked fine on the 6K I had. On the 811 it would tune it in only 1 out of 10 times. Now if the 811 can't get it the box removes the channel from my OTA HD channel list completly and I have to readd it if I want to try it again.

IT seems like this "slight change to how PSIP worked" broke it. I have channel 57 mapped to 4.01 and 4.02. When I switch from 4.01 to 4.02, it jumps instead to 57.02 and the mapping to channel 4 is lost.

It worked fine before the latest update.

BudShark said:
Neutron - yes and this is very common with satellite receives (even most of the toslink switchers mention this fact)

Then explain why the 6000 and 510 NEVER did this with TOSLink??

Well I have been reading this great forum for weeks now and since I have had a 811 for a few weeks I thought it was time that I chimed in with some issues I have noticed with the latest update Ver 2.62.

- OTA Analog channels appear to have flashes of white pixels (switching noise?) when in the normal & grey bar aspect mode. This goes away under all other aspect modes. I am monitoring the component video out.

- Timer function, at the point an event timer is triggered, video output turns off.

I also agree with other posts stating that we need a way of logging in issues from our beta tests so that Dishnetwork can keep tract of valid software issues.

I have performed various QA firmware / software verification testing in the past and would be available to contribute my efforts to making the 811 a better product for all. I also think a formal task tree may be helpful in preventing multiple tests, and also provide us a more structured testing procedure. This would also expand the testing to other areas of the software that may otherwise be overlooked.

Barry

"IT seems like this "slight change to how PSIP worked" broke it. I have channel 57 mapped to 4.01 and 4.02. When I switch from 4.01 to 4.02, it jumps instead to 57.02 and the mapping to channel 4 is lost.

It worked fine before the latest update"

I have the exact same problem, it worked beautifully before the upgrade - now it's a mess. Do these Dish engineers test their upgrades before releasing them?

Nicu

So what is changed exactly on the aspect ratio control?

I have the 262 software. The 811 is hooked up in the following way,

811 component to my B&K ref31 then to my Pioneer RPTV,
811 S video directly to the TV.

I am using the S video output, tuned to local digital channel in all its 4*3 glory, cycling through the "*", but no stretching, no zooming. What gives?

nclee said:
So what is changed exactly on the aspect ratio control?

I have the 262 software. The 811 is hooked up in the following way,

811 component to my B&K ref31 then to my Pioneer RPTV,
811 S video directly to the TV.

I am using the S video output, tuned to local digital channel in all its 4*3 glory, cycling through the "*", but no stretching, no zooming. What gives?

The format control works only throug the DVI or component outputs. If you use composit or s-video it's up the monitor to control the aspect ratio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)