811 & Vonage

joeylberry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
I am wanting to give vonage a try has anyone had any issues with the 811 and digital lines? Thank you in advance.

The 811 doesn't require a phone connection, but in any vase i think most people have said vonage is ok, it's some of the other ones that dont work.

Vonage.

I have some personal info that may be useful. Make sure you get the Linksys version instead of the Cisco. I had trouble connecting at anything higher than 2400 baud with the Cisco/Motorolla. My Linksys unit seems to connect ok. At least I can pay Dish online. Make sure you also use a supporting router for the remainder of your network.

McCrawdad, that's humorous, considering Cisco bought Linksys a few years back. I guess if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em!

They only issue a Linksys/Cisco box unless you have more than two lines of service. I have Vonage and I have my 811 & 522 hooked up with no problem. But hey, if you are going to try them out, let me send you a referral so you and I can get a free month of service. What's your email address?

I have a Motorola ATA with Vonage. I have a 322 and a 522. Neither has a problem with Vinage.

Just a Thank you....

I wanted to thank everyone that posted... The vonage router came in today.. It is connected and every device that I was worried about works great... This is great my phone bill will no longer be 70 plus dollars a month just 24 now hehehheheheheheheh yes!

We are in the process of switching over to Vonage. Have our 811s and a 301 hooked up to the 2nd (fax) line. The 301 connects to Dish Home and we can pull up our statement (it dials out on 877-249-7387). The 811s won't connect and they dial out on 866-767-2757.

Has anyone here been able to view their statement via Dish Home on an 811 with Vonage? It of course passes all of the phone tests in the Menu.

We were thinking of "Taking the plunge" (Vonage).

What do you think of it?? What really does it cost per month?

thanks in advance,
Ayrton 811/510

Has anyone tested it with BroadVoice or any of the other ten or twelve VoIP services. The main claim to fame that Vonage has is the amount of money they spend on marketing. I usually select my technology based on engineering capability rather than marketing capability. Your milage may vary.

-Bart

I have a 522 and Vonage. I have never been able to download a copy of my statement, but I don't care about that. I can see it on the web site. We do PPVs on a semi regular basis and they have never missed billing me so I know something is going through.

mpabart said:
Has anyone tested it with BroadVoice or any of the other ten or twelve VoIP services. The main claim to fame that Vonage has is the amount of money they spend on marketing. I usually select my technology based on engineering capability rather than marketing capability. Your milage may vary.

I use Vonage for 3 primary lines in my house. I also have a BroadVoice number for incoming calls only, which I give to my bank, credit card companies, and other people who I don't want to call me during dinner.

My Vonage service has been flawless, and I can't say enough good things about them. BroadVoice has also been fine, but I probably wouldn't know if there were problems, given my low usage of that line.

My brother used Lingo for a while, but had very poor service (often no dial tone, dropped calls, etc.). He switched to Vonage, and everything has worked well since.

Tip for satellite boxes using Vonage: Add *99 to the "Dial Prefix" settings on your satellite box. That tells the ATA to expect a data call. This also works well for fax machines.

You may also want to try voicepulse

I have had voicepulse for over 14 months now and it worked with my equipment when I had DTV. It is also cheaper than vonage which is a plus to me. I have 2 lines, unlimited local calling with 200 long distance minutes, and an 'open access' line which is configured as a fax line for the house. All of this for a total of $19.98/month.

Just another great option for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts