8300HD in HD mode, SD mode?

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
I am getting a new AVR to replace my "R" (which currently does no video switching). So I started reading the 8300 docs to see which connectors to route to where. Complicating things a bit is that there is a combo VCR/DVD player recorder in the components which needs to both transmit video/sound when playing and receive video/sound when recording.

This manual confuses me greatly. One big stumbling point is that it talks about two modes for the box-SD and HD. But even when in HD mode, it can send to SD devices (so why did they have two modes???) and how do you know what mode it is in???

My new AVR (Onkyo TX-SR575) will, for awhile, interface to the SD VCR/DVD mentioned before and to an SD TV (S-vid and composite inputs). See my beginning lash up here, which show the inputs-outputs available on 8300, AVR, VCR/DVD, and subwoofer.

My main questions are
- how get video/sound from 8300 to AVR (S-vid and Optical audio?, or Out1 ?, or Out2 ?)
- how get vid/audio to the VCR/DVD from AVR
- how get vid/audio to the AVR (or direct to TV?) from VCR/DVD
- how get vid/audio to the TV from AVR

Boy, I had no idea the "simple" task of wiring would be such an issue.

I quote:
"My new AVR (Onkyo TX-SR575) will, for awhile, interface to the SD VCR/DVD mentioned before and to an SD TV (S-vid and composite inputs)."

I am not trying to "get an HD signal" for the present (HD coming later), but since the manual for the 8300 says it works with SD TVs in HD mode, why do they even have the SD mode in it?

Then, back to the original question of how to best make this work.

Ok well, then why did you add all these questions about HD modes and such if all you want is an SD image. Anyways you dont have to be so freaking rude asking people for help. You do this everytime you have a question its no wonder no one wants to help you.

My main questions are
- how get video/sound from 8300 to AVR (S-vid and Optical audio?, or Out1 ?, or Out2 ?)
- how get vid/audio to the VCR/DVD from AVR
- how get vid/audio to the AVR (or direct to TV?) from VCR/DVD
- how get vid/audio to the TV from AVR

*IF* I remember correctly, OUT1 (for sound) is always on no matter what mode your in. SD or HD, and even when your using an HDMI cable to an HDTV.

Looking quickly (I did say quickly) over your PDF, your second picture is the stereo system? You didn't label that one. Since the 3rd pic is the dvd/vcr combo I am going to guess thats what it is.

If the picture IS correct, there are 2 ways to attempt this. I see that the stereo system has HDMI inputs. You could hook up an HDMI cable from the 8300 to the stereo system (labled HDMI in 1) and it "should" route the video & sound to all outgoing ports. You have to go into that manual to verify that.

I cant fully read the pic as your yellow line covered up that one slot a little. This will also get you the best picture going from box to box with less degradation.

If it does not, then I would use The digital optical audio in 1. This port again, "should" route all sound coming into that port to all out going ports. Again, only your manual can answer this question.

The onkyo web page is giving "oops database errors" so I can't look up your system.
I did find a very GOOD picture of the back of your unit. http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/images/txsr575_rear_300.jpg

Hope thats the same one.

Now, I see right next to the optical connection, it has ypr connections, 2 in and one out. I would use that OUT to goto your vcr/dvd combo.

Ok, If none of this works, (ugh) then going by your diagram, you would have to move your yellow line over 2 slots to the vcr/dvr incoming side, and then use the output to goto th dvd player. Then using another set of cables coming from the dvd player to the dvd section, or the ypr section.

? Audio and video signals received via the HDMI IN 1 and 2 jacks are output by the HDMI OUT jack as they
are (HDMI pass-through), so even if you only make the connections in steps 1 and 2, your TV will output
sound. However, if you want to listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, in addition to an
HDMI connection, you’ll also need to make a separate analog or digital audio connection.

In other words, you still have to hook up some sort of cable to get sound to play through the system. The HDMI ports are pass through only.

Way ahead of you....had that on screen! and on page 30! when I clicked over here and read yours.

BUT, you are supposed to pick ONE of (ABC) and ONE of (abc). Which do you think is best and why? My questions stem more from a lack of knowledge about how the 8300HD works than the AVR...things like:

- "Digital audio output. Optional. Provides digital sound for channels 80+"
. Huh? What about sound for 1-79?

- "Component output (for HD viewing)"
. Huh? Does that mean the port is 'silent' if signal is not HD???

- On the composite port: "Audio/video for channels 2-699 and 800+"
. Huh? What happened to 700-799?

In other words, the manual for the 8300 says words, but they are not at all clear and precise.

I guess one of my big questions is: given that my current setup is SD (except the STB is 8300HD), can I, and if I can, is there any advantage to, using component cables STB to AVR instead of S-Video ?

On my current working diagram, I have tentatively S-Vid and digital coax STB to AVR.

Last edited:
continuing and venting...I hate it when manuals further confuse an already confused person who is using the manual to become unconfused.

The Onkyo manual in two places shows running connections from the DVD to the receiver and connecting to a port NOT labeled DVD when there is a port right next to it that =IS= labeled DVD. I'm left to wonder whether there is a reason or was it just idiocy on their part to not use the port THEY labeled exactly for that device. Arghhhh.

Details:
DVD coax they say put in port 2 which is where I have the CBL connection because it is labeled CBL. Port 1 is labeled DVD.

Component they say run to port 2 when port 1 is labeled DVD. Geesh.

And why, for recording, do they show running composite cables rather than component. I'm irritated.

Not expecting answer, just venting. But I don't feel better.

jcarrera - I can't answer that question. Everyones eyes are different. I can tell the difference between rca - s-video - HDMI.

I have talked to people who swear theres no difference. You have to figure out which looks best for you.

OK, I think I laid down too many questions at once and got it confused (although it should be clear that *I* am indeed confused)...so let me ask just one at a time and specific...

Will the component connectors on the 8300HD send out the signal for every channel, whether HD or SD, analog or digital. Does it send EVERYTHING out the component?

You are correct, however his manual states that you have to use the "same connection" to record with. So it' best to use rca cables in this case.
As best I can see in the manual, that does not apply to my TX-SR575, only to 505,505E and 8550 models.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)