WOW modem/router suggestions

Rick341

Captain Obvious
Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
Cottonwood, AL
After years of waiting, we finally got cable internet in this one caution light town! WOW (WideOpenWest) fiber optic cable is the provider and the plan I have came with a free modem/router for one year. I don't plan to rent their modem after the one year period expires and would like to go ahead and replace their modem with an equal or better one. Any suggestions for a modem that's compatible with WOW internet?

I'd suggest two separate devices rather than a gateway.

What hardware did they give you?

Sometimes a web search is a good way to start:

Thanks. I had searched and found that list and was hoping someone could recommend the best wifi modem based on their experience. I don't have a clue which has the best range. etc.
The only hardware that came with the plan was the wifi modem.

You didn't state the make/model of the one you currently have. DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1? Or is it true fiber, an ONT modem?
I've helped a few convert from ISP equipment to their own.
Personally I'd stay away from combo units and do as Harsh suggests. A separate modem and a separate wifi router.
Standing by.

I wish I knew more but I'm new at this and all I can tell you is the modem supplied is a Calix GigaCenter model # 854G-1
This is a full-featured gateway (modem/router combo) with voice and fax. The only complication is if you're using WOW voice service.

If you're not using voice/fax through WOW, then I reiterate my recommendation to get a separate modem and Wi-fi router. The router should come from the recommended list and the router is none of WOW's business. The TPLink Archer C7 has served me well and it is a great value at $50.

This is a full-featured gateway (modem/router combo) with voice and fax. The only complication is if you're using WOW voice service.

If you're not using voice/fax through WOW, then I reiterate my recommendation to get a separate modem and Wi-fi router. The router should come from the recommended list and the router is none of WOW's business. The TPLink Archer C7 has served me well and it is a great value at $50.
Thank you.. I'm starting to understand. I don't need or use the voice or fax. My biggest concerns are speed capabilities and WiFi distance and those may not be as important as I think they are. I'll do some research on the advantages of a separate modem and router. Again, Thank you very much!!

If you have problems with WiFi range in your home like I did you might want to consider a mesh net for your router. I use an Orbi router with 1 satellite and that took care of all the dead spots in my home. It's not cheep but the performance is phenomenal.

If you have problems with WiFi range in your home like I did you might want to consider a mesh net for your router. I use an Orbi router with 1 satellite and that took care of all the dead spots in my home. It's not cheep but the performance is phenomenal.
I see meshes as being for those who have chosen to go all in on Wi-fi to the exclusion of Ethernet. A good centrally located Wi-fi router or maybe a router and a WAP are a much simpler solution that costs less than half as much (again, assuming your Wi-fi needs aren't ludicrous by design).

I see meshes as being for those who have chosen to go all in on Wi-fi to the exclusion of Ethernet. A good centrally located Wi-fi router or maybe a router and a WAP are a much simpler solution that costs less than half as much (again, assuming your Wi-fi needs aren't ludicrous by design).
Nope, not in my case. My house is big and old. My home office is completely ethernet through an 8 port switch. I'd love ethernet through the entire house but it's not practical nor is it cost effective to run wire everywhere. I did a cost analysis and the mesh network option was much, much cheaper to install.

Now I have zero dead/slow/unreliable WiFi areas in my house like I did with my WAP. As a bonus I have a strong WiFi signal on the patio. That was never achievable before no matter where I placed the WAP. Being able to stream music at the BBQ/smoker is worth the $300 I spent on the mesh. I spend a lot of time out there except when the weather is crappy. Nothing about my needs are ludicrous. Every situation is different and mesh worked perfectly for my application. It was a simple and inexpensive solution. I have no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: John2021
Nope, not in my case. My house is big and old. My home office is completely ethernet through an 8 port switch. I'd love ethernet through the entire house but it's not practical nor is it cost effective to run wire everywhere.
My house is big but it is only 60 years old and is two stories so I probably have an advantage. I would only really need to run one wire to add a WAP but my Wi-fi router serves whole house with 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-fi as I've located it pretty much in the centroid (between floor joists under the top floor). All of my wired gear passes through one of two cheap 16 port Gigabit switches. I may pay a few dollars extra to get devices that have built-in Ethernet but I never have to worry about them being starved for bandwidth even if I have a houseful of people.
I did a cost analysis and the mesh network option was much, much cheaper to install.
Everyone's home layout is different as is their budget.
It was a simple and inexpensive solution.
I don't consider in $300 "inexpensive". Then again, I see YouTube videos of "homelabs" using professional networking gear and rack servers that cost many hundreds of dollars so I'm doubtless a tightwad.

I'd suggest two separate devices rather than a gateway.

What hardware did they give you?

Sometimes a web search is a good way to start:

I've been using a gateway for years, never a problem. Why don't you like them?

I've been using a gateway for years, never a problem. Why don't you like them?
It isn't that I don't like them, I simply prefer separates over an all-in-one solution.
  • Gateways don't offer the upgrade flexibility that separate components afford (a new broadband service may require a whole new gateway)
  • Third party firmware for gateways is rare so you'll often have to bypass the gateway's router and add an outboard router anyway to get modern features (like mesh Wi-fi and secure VPN)
  • Gateways often complicate what would otherwise plug-and-play or handled in software via SNMP
  • Gateways are often not as readily purchased as modems -- eBay seems to be the only place offering Calix gateways (some of which are probably stolen)

If anyone has peeked at the install and users manual for this particular ONT. It's pretty feature loaded.
IF the ISP doesn't lock you out of getting to the settings.
I would say if after the free usage period is up and it has seemed to work well. There are quite a few on eBay for sale. The ISP cant gripe about that.

I'm so new to fiber that I really don't know about optical network termination units. Although I have assisted others in obtaining their own DOCSIS modems and routers.
I am not really a fan of all-in-one anything. People here with Zyxel modem/router/voip combos from the local ISP just don't have good experiences at all. And the fact that if you do have issues with them, the service guy swaps it out with a used peanut butter, cat hair, cigarette stenched one.
Jesus. I'd hate to have a car with an engine and tranny all in one casting.

Harshness is right. But really. Obtaining your own device to use should only require a phone call to request a 'provisioning' and providing info of the unit (MAC address). Many ISP's actually have an automated service to do it.
Fiber may be a different animal. Because this is one of the sideline things I do, maybe it's time to try the brand new REC fiber service so I can get an ONT in my own hands.
BUT. From what I've seen here. The ones they supply that look like the Led Zeppelin Presence monolith have the management page locked out for subscribers.

Now. If you get your own Asus modem any day of the week it's pretty much a breeze to extend your network. Wired or 100% wireless. But. Drill a hole and run some CAT if you can.
Mesh is built in, bridge mode is too. And they work great.
If you get 2 Asus routers such as the RT-AC68. Mesh is built in. And if you get more into it. Merlin firmware takes 10 minutes to download and install into them.

As for voip. Some "have it", some don't (ISP's). Ours simply suck. A call to Vonage and a wait for "Brown" to show up. There's your home phone service. That works.

Enjoy your fiber. You have lots of time to worry and investigate obtaining your own equipment to bypass future rental fees. But when you make the plunge, make sure they don't lock you out of the configuration pages.
Your Calix GigaCenter 854G-1 is impressively feature robust.

If anyone has peeked at the install and users manual for this particular ONT. It's pretty feature loaded.
IF the ISP doesn't lock you out of getting to the settings.
I would say if after the free usage period is up and it has seemed to work well. There are quite a few on eBay for sale. The ISP cant gripe about that.

I'm so new to fiber that I really don't know about optical network termination units. Although I have assisted others in obtaining their own DOCSIS modems and routers.
I am not really a fan of all-in-one anything. People here with Zyxel modem/router/voip combos from the local ISP just don't have good experiences at all. And the fact that if you do have issues with them, the service guy swaps it out with a used peanut butter, cat hair, cigarette stenched one.
Jesus. I'd hate to have a car with an engine and tranny all in one casting.

Harshness is right. But really. Obtaining your own device to use should only require a phone call to request a 'provisioning' and providing info of the unit (MAC address). Many ISP's actually have an automated service to do it.
Fiber may be a different animal. Because this is one of the sideline things I do, maybe it's time to try the brand new REC fiber service so I can get an ONT in my own hands.
BUT. From what I've seen here. The ones they supply that look like the Led Zeppelin Presence monolith have the management page locked out for subscribers.

Now. If you get your own Asus modem any day of the week it's pretty much a breeze to extend your network. Wired or 100% wireless. But. Drill a hole and run some CAT if you can.
Mesh is built in, bridge mode is too. And they work great.
If you get 2 Asus routers such as the RT-AC68. Mesh is built in. And if you get more into it. Merlin firmware takes 10 minutes to download and install into them.

As for voip. Some "have it", some don't (ISP's). Ours simply suck. A call to Vonage and a wait for "Brown" to show up. There's your home phone service. That works.

Enjoy your fiber. You have lots of time to worry and investigate obtaining your own equipment to bypass future rental fees. But when you make the plunge, make sure they don't lock you out of the configuration pages.
Your Calix GigaCenter 854G-1 is impressively feature robust.
Thank you for that. Gives me a lot to think about and investigate before pulling the trigger.

Installed ALLO fiber last year and love it. They also use the Calix GigaCenter but because I already had a mesh system they just bridged the gateway. No extra cost through ALLO, so I have mesh wifi using ASUS RT-AX86U routers one upstairs and the other down near where the fiber meets the gateway in the utility room.