87 west/whats up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

icu1954

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
lower alabama
can't get but the strongest transponders..tweaked the dish,checked el/az,skew....no switches between lnb and receiver...whatsup:rolleyes:

a little more info would help....thats whats up

what transponders are you getting?
what setup is it? (dish, receiver)
what kind of signal quality are you getting on the transponders?

6ft dish with openbox s9 no switches.getting nasa with 70 signal....56 quality and roberts feed with about same quality and strenth..no me tv,this or estrella....checked everything down to the rg6

I have a 7 1/2 foot dish with an AZ Box Premium Plus and I get reasonably good signals on the stuff I want to watch, ME TV, NASA and THIS TV. RTV S2s @ 3800 are very weak and rarely come it and RTV S2s @ 4080 comes and goes from weak to strong on a daily basis peaking out at 70%. AMC 3 has always been a hard one for me to get and naturally what I want to watch is usually on that satellite. I have strong signals (70-90%) on S2 channels in other satellites, so I like to think I am aligned properly. I have found out since I got this AZ Box that the cure all answer to any question is "you need a bigger dish."

I have the exact same setup as you, only I'm on the west coast. As I was reading your post I was going yup, ahuh, yes, exactly...

I have a 7 1/2 foot dish with an AZ Box Premium Plus and I get reasonably good signals on the stuff I want to watch, ME TV, NASA and THIS TV. RTV S2s @ 3800 are very weak and rarely come it and RTV S2s @ 4080 comes and goes from weak to strong on a daily basis peaking out at 70%. AMC 3 has always been a hard one for me to get and naturally what I want to watch is usually on that satellite. I have strong signals (70-90%) on S2 channels in other satellites, so I like to think I am aligned properly. I have found out since I got this AZ Box that the cure all answer to any question is "you need a bigger dish."

Were they working before? Is 56 quality on NASA normal? Without moving the dish, does the Q on an 87W TP change throughout the day? Could it be TI during the day? Maybe this thread may shed some light, or suggest a "help". http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/260928-adding-panels-extra-6-a.html On the 10ft'r here, occasionally RTV S2s @ 3800 gets weak enough and break up. 4000 TP Q drops, but still is watchable. Think T.I. has a lot to do with it. From what I've read, a 6ft is pretty small for the S2 stuff. Have to have everything just right, and even then it's iffy.

The temp got down to 97 this afternoon so I went out and tinkered with the elevation. It brought 3800 up to a watchable 66% and 4080 up a very good 70%. How long will it stay that way......who knows, I've been down this road before.

Is 56 quality on NASA normal?

I've had it that low before and still have good video and audio. After I finished today it is up to 74%, which is great.....at least for me. I would say you should be getting a lot more than 56% with a 10 foot dish, possiably in the low to mid 90s. 3800 and 4080 are the only ones that go up and down for me, the rest are pretty stable.

Last edited:
this tv is back plus i blind scan in a couple of wildfeeds,still not getting me tv or estrella.this 6 footer would normally would go to the extreme on performance with the s9 backing it up but lately everything started going down hill.on some other sats i could get some 5/6 s2 signals and would stay stable with decent quality,but i have never have gotten the rtv s2 mux on 87w,like i said this 6er has done some remarkable things,maybe she will come back to where she was before long....by the way what do you mean by T.I.

On my 6 footer im getting This,Metv,Nasa and RTV at 4080 with good signals.For some reason that i havent been able to figure out yet! RTV was giving me headachs during the day with pixel breakup but lately its been strong as a ox 24/7.

My RTV 4080 started coming in good over the last few days. It jumped in to mid 60s, which is what I need for stable video. 3800 has always weak. After tinkering around with it today 3800 is stable in the mid 60s and 4080 has jumped to 70%.

4080 is always a 70+Q here. , 3080 is also usually in the low 70's, But one has to remember, it;s an Openbox S9. the meter isn't that truthful. On occasion, I have lost 3800, Q drops significantly, below threshold(about 50?)but 4080 is still 70 some Q and watchable. T.I.= Terrestrial Interference or it may be Earth Thermal noise(?). Think the "Earth Thermal Noise" has to do a lot with local atmospheric and topographical conditions of wind, humidity, air temperature, cloud cover/sunshine, moisture level of the surrounding soil and vegetation, etc. Basically, too many variables to calculate.

Fat Air,you sound like a dude who know where it's at...that's what i'am talking about....all of you guys and gals have been a big help to me.By the way as we speak weather nation has popped back in,see it seems like she is coming back to life.

I wonder if reception will improve when SES-2 is launched in November to replace GE-3? It was launched in September 1997, so it is now nearly 14 years old.

I wonder if it's an uplink issue, as all other TP's on 87W are stable and only 3080 has gone below threshold. 4080 weakened slightly. This happened a couple of months ago. Been fairly stable since then and haven't seen 3080 go below threshold. TP strength could be varying, or TI or ETN levels varying, and if the receiving system doesn't have enough gain, during periods of lowered TP strength or higher noise, outages may occur more often. Right now, 3080 is bouncing between 67 and 70 Q, with an occasional 65 thrown in now and then. So slightly weaker than I have recorded. I'm kinda thinkin' SES-3 will have the same, or similar, EIRP. Who knows until the publish a map, or turn it on? Nothing said about it on the SES website. But if there are changes to EIRP or coverage area, I believe there's mandatory reviews and approval needed from various authorities. Think that we would have heard about it via one of the sites that track this kind of event/news.

FaT Air said:
So slightly weaker than I have recorded. I'm kinda thinkin' SES-3 will have the same, or similar, EIRP.

Still, I would think a new bird should still provide a stronger signal. I know back in the analog C-Band days for instance, when GE3 replaced Spacenet 3, there was a significant improvement in signal quality. The same was true when Galaxy 1R replaced Galaxy 1.

icu, are you sure you are getting both polarities on 87W, beginning to sound like H is all you're picking up. But like other folks here, I've had some trouble with 87W, usually at night, but mine was related to feedhorn/skew-which I adjusted, or the fact that sometimes me-tv just plain goes out! I believe you would have an easier go of it if you had a bigger dish. My 10' SAMI works fine in most cases, but I don't have an lnbf on it, just the old-fashioned servo-controlled feedhorn. And heat will cause some problems, even with those!

6ft dish with openbox s9 no switches.getting nasa with 70 signal....56 quality and roberts feed with about same quality and strenth..no me tv,this or estrella....checked everything down to the rg6

Welcome to my nightmare..

I had precisely the same issues with a 6 foot dish on this satellite.
I spent months fighting this and gave up. I ended up having to use a 10 foot dish.
But I'm not the brightest bulb here... Others say it works fine for them but I couldn't get it to work.
YMMV....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)