8PSK Conversion Update...

First the only acceptable standard is all channels in HD and then the crying for all channels to be in 4K will start.

As a sports fan, I keep going back to the RSN in HD 24/7. Living in Chicago, I can only comment on my area - maybe other RSN's were different. But when Comcast Sportsnet started showing games in HD, not all the games were even in HD. Nor did WGN show all the games in HD. It was a big deal when the game was in HD. And they only started with some select home games, and if two teams were playing at the same time, only one was in HD. Then a year later it was all home games, even if two teams were playing at the same time, with select away games in HD. Then the next year it was all home and away games. Now a days, everything except for the infomercials at night is in HD - the replays, studio shows - even the high school state championship games they show. The part time RSN idea made perfect sense 8 years ago when even live games were hit and miss being in HD, but now a days with almost everything on the RSN in HD, it makes sense for it to be HD.

All of the RSNs owned by Fox have letterboxed their SD feeds as well. Face it. HD is the standard now and it's time all of the TV providers treat it as the standard and not as a privilege.

bluegras, FYI, February can NEVER, EVER, have more than 29 days, and it only has 29 days every FOUR years, 2016, 2020, 2024, 2028, 2032, etc... Ever heard of a leap year? The rest of the time February only has 28 days.
I predict that every channel will be at least HD on February 29, 2100. (2100 is not a leap year. Don't forget the centennial rule: years ending in 00 are not leap years unless they are evenly divisible by 400.)

There are people whose career is making such calculations. I'm sure they've calculated it to the nth decimal place, factoring in things such as how long before the next "MPEG" comes out. HEVC.
Yeah, I agree that with HEVC chipsets still coming out, it would be more wise to change to HEVC if and only if Dish see any point in spending the money to do so with the world changing to content via internet and depending upon how popular SlingTV gets. Charlie did say that if he were building Dish today, he would not be investing in satellites. Of course, he has a legacy satellite system that still has to be kept current, but his point was he would probably build his pay-TV service today as OTT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)