8PSK Conversion Update...

Her best was a BBC production of a Midsummer's Night Dream and she wore a coat of paint.

Can we please get back to the topic of the 8PSK conversion. Because I have a question to ask on this topic.

Will the SD channels go MPEG4 or are they gonna stay at MPEG2 on the Western Arc setup?

That sucks, but maybe there will be more bandwidth for more HD channels in the near future
There are too many receivers out there for Dish to replace for them to go MPEG-4 on Western Arc. I'm sure that's the plan in the long term, but only when Dish believes the cost to do it is manageable.

There are too many receivers out there for Dish to replace for them to go MPEG-4 on Western Arc. I'm sure that's the plan in the long term, but only when Dish believes the cost to do it is manageable.
what they should have done though is replace the QPSK receivers with mpeg-4 that way there would be less to do in the future.

what they should have done though is replace the QPSK receivers with mpeg-4 that way there would be less to do in the future.
Could I see your calculations on that? I'd like to share them with Charlie.

Could I see your calculations on that? I'd like to share them with Charlie.
Just think about it.
If you replace a receiver with one that doesn't do mpeg4 if the future when you decide to go all mpeg 4 well guess what you'll need to replace that customers receiver "again".
If you give out mpeg4 receivers now the current customer will be all set for the switch to mpeg4 so that's less to do in the future.

There are people whose career is making such calculations. I'm sure they've calculated it to the nth decimal place, factoring in things such as how long before the next "MPEG" comes out. HEVC.

Just think about it.
If you replace a receiver with one that doesn't do mpeg4 if the future when you decide to go all mpeg 4 well guess what you'll need to replace that customers receiver "again".
If you give out mpeg4 receivers now the current customer will be all set for the switch to mpeg4 so that's less to do in the future.

That assumes that there is no additional current cost for replacing obsolete equipment with MPEG4 equipment. I'm sure there's an extra cost with making the jump and I'm sure someone crunched the numbers and then someone on the operations side decided that doing it in two distinct phases made the most sense from a business perspective in light of the number crunching results. And, as Navy said, there's no way to know what future tech will bring. Maybe they decide to jump WA directly to a future HEVC only class of receivers when they finally decide to move away from MPEG2. It all depends on the time horizon for future transitions and I don't think we have enough insight into Dish's plans related to this to criticize this current decision. Would it be nice to go MPEG4 and have a ton of extra bandwidth on WA? Sure, but they'd still be limited by the bandwidth limitations of only having two EA satellite slots currently in use (so they wouldn't be able to use all the extra bandwidth unless mirroring the Arcs went out the window).

The costs of swapping out QPSK receivers for MPEG4 receivers a much more more then swapping them to an 8PSK receiver.

DISH has found out that when people upgrade their TV's at home to new one they are calling DISH and doing the MPEG4 update as needed per customer.

So if customers are doing their own updates as needed why should DISH pay more?

Besides with the way we are going now, it might not be long until we see MPEG5/HVEC upgrades coming down the road. So why put obsolite equipment in homes where people are not going to use it yet.

MPEG5??????? Ok , Mpeg 4 was like 8 hd channels on a transponder and no difference in p/q. So how many hd channels can you put on a transponder and not see any changes in p/q with mpeg 5 ?

Conflicting recordings.

DIRECTV says it will go all HD in 2016 , what about DISH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)