8vsb module question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gredneck

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
I stumbled across and 8vsb module for the dish 5000, is this a module for receiving over the air hdtv signals? or is it for the satellite(hd) signals?
and do they still transmit in 8vsb?

thank you for your answers :)

gredneck said:
I stumbled across and 8vsb module for the dish 5000, is this a module for receiving over the air hdtv signals? or is it for the satellite(hd) signals?
and do they still transmit in 8vsb?

thank you for your answers :)

The 8vsb module is for OTA Digital TV only. It allows the OTA channels to be integrateed to a 5000 or 6000.
The satellite HD is 8psk format. My understanding is that the 5000 cannot be used for satellite HD anymore. With a 8vsb you can turn your 5000 into an OTA tuner.

Tahoerob said:
The 8vsb module is for OTA Digital TV only. It allows the OTA channels to be integrateed to a 5000 or 6000.
The satellite HD is 8psk format. My understanding is that the 5000 cannot be used for satellite HD anymore. With a 8vsb you can turn your 5000 into an OTA tuner.
I believe this is not quite correct. The 8VSB modulator converted the satellite HD signal into an 8VSB signal that an external HD tuner could receive. It was valued until recently because it allowed recording of Dish Network HDTV channels.

This modulator can not "turn your 5000 into an OTA tuner".

The 8VSB module you are probably thinking of is for OTA reception but is for the 6000 receiver only, not the 5000.

The HDTV module for the model 5000 receiver would convert a satellite HDTV into an 8VSB signal that could be processed by an OTA HDTV tuner. The 5000+HDTV module does not work with 8psk satellite transmissions. As all Dish Network HD channels use 8psk this module has been made useless. Don't buy it.

The 8vsb module for the model 6000 receiver is an OTA HDTV tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)