900,000 subscriptions

I don't know who would expect the DVR to rent for $5/month when they rent their receivers for $10/month. Perhaps the rental will be $10/month for the DVR plus a $5 DVR fee and $5 per client.

cohiba said:
Is that the theory--that Voom's HD DVR is going to be $1000??? Ouch. I suppose I was a bit naive to expect a $5/month lease. Does anyone know if they plan on offering a SD DVR as well?

Thats what D* charges for a HD-DVR..... I would expect the voom dvr to be leased from 10-15/month.

I see people talk about how much DVR's cost and what V* will make on them, and what satellites and uplink centers cost and how if X # of subscribers pay Y amount of dollars that V* can make Z $'s per year. However nowhere do I see anyone say how much the programming is costing V* and what it will take to pay for that. They just added more programming, that can't help the bottom line. Plus V* doesn't carry all those shopping channels which help E* and D* on their costs.

IIRC, Dish took until about 2 years ago and around 7 million subs prior to breaking a profit the first time.

philhu said:
Very bad logic.

900,000 subs to pay off all old debts in a year.

He just has to make more than he puts out.

900,000 is $90M/MONTH, or a billion a year. What makes you think he needs to make $1B a year to break even? They took all sorts of writeoffs to come up with their numbers.

We all agreed that they lost about $75M/quarter

So, rethink your numbers

I noticed the same - utterly clueless numbers, doesn't worth a topic.

$20 a month = $240 a year OR $480 in 2 yrs OR $960 in four yrs OR $1,200 in five yrs
$15 a month = $180 a year OR $360 in 2 yrs OR $720 in four yrs OR $900 in five yrs
$10 a month = $120 a year OR $240 in 2 yrs OR $480 in four yrs OR $600 in five yrs

Customers could be made to sign a two or three year contract in order to get the DVR at the specified lease fee.

Another thing they can do is charge $25 a month the first year, $20 a month the second, $15 a month the third, $10 a month the fourth, and $5 a month the fifth year, a gradual reduction in the lease fee cost. If it were to include the DVR fee then they could leave it at $10-15 a month to cover the lease and DVR fees. This is not counting the additional outlet fees that they could get.

They have not even got the ink on paper yet and folks are all ready cringing at what all this high end will cost them and for good reason I suppose.

Yep, you bet your going to have to pay the big bucks for all this, after all your talking about a high end product and this is DBS people.

Lets see,

$94.90/month
You save $198 off our Base Offer, and over $349 off the competitor's price!
PLUS!
Get our Upgrade Offer 2-months of Free HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, & STARZ!,
Current promotion for 1 room.
I don't know what you are paying now for each additional room but if you add an HD DVR plus the plethora of HD and SD channels they claim to be adding that put's you at roughly 15.00 to 20.00 mth for DVR and same for more channels you should be around 150.00 mth for one room.
Hungry for more?

If you add a couple more rooms that should about equal a car payment in my estimates and if that's how important it is to you then I say go for it and quit complaining. If not then accept your current package and enjoy it.

hall said:
No way..... plain DVRs are still not that common

I don't know where you get that info from. I have had a DVR in one form or another for 3 years. I currently have 2 Comcast DVRs. But there is legislation pending that will limit not only what can be recorded on our DVRS, but even limit a whole house DVR from sending programming throughout the house if the content provider flags it. Content providers are going to screw it up for all of us and force us to use VHS recorders again!

From Feb 2005 article in Laptop Magazine: "...FCC has mandated that as of July 1 of this year, all digital television tuners must include content protection technology that can recognize "broadcast flags" embedded in television programs.

By flagging a program, a broadcaster may be able to prevent you from recording a pay-per-view boxing match. Or you may be prevented from making a digital recording of a movie. You may also be prevented from beaming, say, a digital video recorder's (DVR) recording to another television in your house."

slick1ru2 said:
I don't know where you get that info from. I have had a DVR in one form or another for 3 years. I currently have 2 Comcast DVRs. But there is legislation pending that will limit not only what can be recorded on our DVRS, but even limit a whole house DVR from sending programming throughout the house if the content provider flags it. Content providers are going to screw it up for all of us and force us to use VHS recorders again!

From Feb 2005 article in Laptop Magazine: "...FCC has mandated that as of July 1 of this year, all digital television tuners must include content protection technology that can recognize "broadcast flags" embedded in television programs.

By flagging a program, a broadcaster may be able to prevent you from recording a pay-per-view boxing match. Or you may be prevented from making a digital recording of a movie. You may also be prevented from beaming, say, a digital video recorder's (DVR) recording to another television in your house."

Yeah they dont want to make it possible for us to actually be able to enjoy something more than once and even justify to ourselves why we spend all the dollars we do on TV.
Bunt don't worry if there is anti copy protection there will be something that will break it. :smug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)