After a Month of Subscription, My VOOM Evaluation and yours?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Im new here but i just read you couldnt be happier with voom ? you have an awful lot of fixes that need to be made and yet you are so happy ? IM confused?

stevesmall said:
VOOM IS TERRIBLE First Let me start off by saying I HATED VOOM ! . THIS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE CASE WERE IT NOT FOR A PROBLEM EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Boxes were freezing , no signal screen way too much, service was horrendous and installers were horrendous. was told it would take 2 weeks for a service call. i didnt even have a signal lol i cancelled after 3 failed attempts for installation and just plain bad customer service.

stevesmall said:
Im new here but i just read you couldnt be happier with voom ? you have an awful lot of fixes that need to be made and yet you are so happy ? IM confused?

Actually, I'm more confused about your total of two posts showing-up in threads where they don't belong.

VOOM GLOOM (Now you see it, now you don't!)

Since I've had VOOM installed about a month ago I've had nothing but problems. First of all, my installer told me that this was only the third VOOM install he'd done, yet the hotshot acted like he'd done a million with the personality of a con artist. Man, do I wish I'd known about these forums before the installation 'cause he did just about everything I've since read not to let him do. He used the diplexer, gave me little to no instruction, and left saying that it was normal that I was only getting 20 or so channels and that the rest of them will come in when the download is complete. Well, after three weeks, I still get only 20 or so channels and to make matters worse, it's not even consistent as to which 20 or so channels I get (including the local ones which aren't always all there either)! At best, I've been able to get about six movie channels. At worst, about four. Channels 109 and 110 always come in, but getting the others is a craps shoot. :confused:

After finding this Internet site and reading a bit I called VOOM who apologized and had Installers Inc send the same guy back to check out the problem. This time the guy didn't even go back on the roof to check his dish/antenna pointing but instead brought a new box and spent his time in the house trying to get the thing to work properly, which he didn't, and then he left saying that they only paid him for one hour per visit! So now, one month later, I'm still left with a system that has channels coming and going as fast as that worthless installer! :eek:

Well, I’ve tried just about everything that I've read on this site, and have been walked through over-the-phone troubleshoot attempts by VOOM a dozen times over. Yet still, I seem to be able to inconsistently get only some of channels. Installer's Inc is sending out a different guy tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

I'm so on the edge. Part of me desperately wants to cancel and get my money back. Part of me wants to grimly hang on and hope they get things together. At this point, I can't get one of my big 4 networks OTA (NBC) and I am still bitter over being shafted out of my plus pack. The constant repeats on Cinema 10 is draining. I firmly feel that it should be downgraded to 5 channels, and use the freed bandwidth for other things right now. Also, rather than cycling 24 hours, play a movie twice a day at the same time AM and PM, then the next movie, then the next... etc;

madpoet said:
I'm so on the edge. Part of me desperately wants to cancel and get my money back. Part of me wants to grimly hang on and hope they get things together. At this point, I can't get one of my big 4 networks OTA (NBC) and I am still bitter over being shafted out of my plus pack. The constant repeats on Cinema 10 is draining. I firmly feel that it should be downgraded to 5 channels, and use the freed bandwidth for other things right now. Also, rather than cycling 24 hours, play a movie twice a day at the same time AM and PM, then the next movie, then the next... etc;
Did you get new CM antenna yet? I think that will help with WVIT. Did you order CM7777 amp. That is the only way I can get WFSB. Unless you have Comcast cable I don't think there is a better option for us in CT right now. Heard "E" has a lot of software problems with there receivers also. I think "D" is stabler but I like having West coast HD feeds and Starz and Encore HD. Be patient, I think we are in the right place.

I completely agree about OAR. I'm about ready to cancel the premium movie channels because all they show is 16:9. There was an OAR HD movie on Encore or Startz the other day and it was great.

stevesmall said:
If you've ever had Dish you'd know what I mean. :( Just because there are some things still to be worked on doesn't mean it's a bad service. Voom rocks. :yes I love it! :cool:

pmalve said:
Did you get new CM antenna yet? I think that will help with WVIT. Did you order CM7777 amp. That is the only way I can get WFSB. Unless you have Comcast cable I don't think there is a better option for us in CT right now. Heard "E" has a lot of software problems with there receivers also. I think "D" is stabler but I like having West coast HD feeds and Starz and Encore HD. Be patient, I think we are in the right place.

I did, and I got the 7777. No joy. I think I've got a multipath issue, because the signal strength is wildly fluctuating. I'm running Cox side by side with it. On the plus side, I can record via DVHS off of Cox. On the minus, it's far fewer channels. If Voom would release the new software to allow me to manually map channels, it would certainly help.

madpoet,

What CM antenna are you using now? And where is it mounted?

The new software with OTA scanning is coming Real Soon Now(tm), but may not make it by April 30th. Wilt just recently posted that they are tracking down the stutter issue, and if they are waiting to get that fix in the software, it could be delayed a bit.

Sorry, not CM.. I'm using the Wineguard 7084P. I'd shell out the bucks for a bigger CM antenna with the UHF extension, but since my problem is multipathing I think I'm screwed. Mounted at the highest point on my roof. I could try and elevate it a bit more possibly.

-MP

I am convinced its a bad service based on the lack of service i have recvd . delays in getting equipment, sorry installers, terrible csr. and most of all a 17 day window to send a tech to fix 3 stb's bad service for me definitely , 1 month for a refund and still waiting, i hope they get better, competition is good

Well, well. I hope Mr. Small can find happiness with a different service provider, and that the refund comes soon.

My own experience is much different, but I honestly think that attitude has a lot to do with the overall experience. I had E* removed and Voom installed on the same day. For me, it was fun to be part of something new, and to be able to participate as an early adopter. Software upgrades and channel additions were significant events. They still are, and it is still fun.

I know I've been luckier than most people, having the good fortune to be able to watch HD television with very few problems, all of which have been minor. My setup works exactly as I had imagined, so I'm very satisfied.

Put 1 in the win column for Voom. Installed in December and I'm here for the long term.

Coming up on 2 weeks my reaction to VOOM is favorable. I found several great old movies to watch; Rush & Gallery are interesting as well as Bravo & Discovery. News channel in HD isn't great but ok. Wouldn't know what to do if my sat. box failed or if I had technical difficulty which I haven't. Call VOOM I guess or Satellite Guys? Right now I have VOOM's basic package and am continuing with Direct TV for HDNET & HBO. Locals are on VOOM via OTA.

Will post again after one month.Great to have this forum for news & updates. Like what's happening with TNT-HD?

Well after a month of Voom I can say that overall I am rather satisfied with everything. I rarely get any receiver lockups anymore and the HD picture is quite good. The SD channels look good on certain ones and I get all my OTA except for one or two independent stations. My favorite channel is Discovery HD for sure along with Rush and Cinema 10. I am glad Voom is adding more and more channels like ESPN. I think things will only get better and better as far as PQ and progamming go. One of main gripes is that the audio level varies way too much from channel to channel. I don't know what causes this. Thanks.

You see so much posted about bad, sorry, pathetic VoOm installers BUT from what I understand.... all of the "VoOm installers" ALSO install Dish and/or DirecTV too, thus I would think an installer is bad for ALL not just VoOm. Seems logical to me.... VoOm's install is no different (except the OTA antenna) than the others...... Am I missing something?

dtsfanohio said:
You see so much posted about bad, sorry, pathetic VoOm installers BUT from what I understand.... all of the "VoOm installers" ALSO install Dish and/or DirecTV too, thus I would think an installer is bad for ALL not just VoOm. Seems logical to me.... VoOm's install is no different (except the OTA antenna) than the others...... Am I missing something?

And 75% of installation problems have to do with the antenna. I think it's relatively repitive and worry free when you just put up a dish.

cyuhnke said:
And 75% of installation problems have to do with the antenna. I think it's relatively repitive and worry free when you just put up a dish.

I agree, but it is not rocket science...install the right kind and point it in the right direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts