90cm Minibud?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

d00d3l

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
College Station TX
If I got a C-band LNB and conical scalar for my 90cm GEOSATpro dish, do you think it would work?
EDIT: Or how about if I bought and placed one of those C-band/Ku-band combo LNBs on it? That would be AWESOME!

You may receive a few of the strongest C-band channels on a 90cm dish with a dedicated C-band LNBF and conical scalar. Reception will be unreliable and experimental testing is the best way to describe it. Even with a much larger 1.2m reflector, C-band reception is extremely limited.

Combo C/KU LNBFs require a full sized optimized reflector. A complete waste of money in my opinion, to mount a combo C/KU on a 90cm reflector. Performance will be significantly worse than either a dedicated C-band or KU-band LNBF.

Yes, it would be awesome if it were possible...

Forget about the C/Ku combo. Those are a compromise between functionality and performance. Since using a 90cm dish for C-band is already way smaller than what is normally recommended, you can't afford to waste anything more in terms of signal quality.

I have tried a C-band LNBF with conical feedhorn on a Fortec 90cm and could not get much. The only channels I was getting somewhat reliably were The Word and Classic Arts Showcase on 91W, and a few very pixelated channels on 40.5W and 113W. I was also limited by the receiver i had at the time (DVB-S only) so there might be a few more. The LESEA channels on 99W are usually an easy target, and so is NHK on 58W, but I was not getting those.

In the end, it was fun to try it, but a bit frustrating. I don't want to discourage you, I don't regret trying, just don't expect much from it.

Since then I was able to find a used 10-foot dish and my LNBF is getting very good use.

I experimented with C/Ku dual LNBs years ago using Ku dish, it was fun and educational but only pulled in a few stations. I became educated that a small dish, even a 39 inch Ku would get the most a half dozen or less stations.

Even tried a 6 foot prime focus stationary, worked better but still left me disappointed.

Reactions: Horsepower
Look at my setup for example. I live in an apartment complex from hell that HATES me with a satellite dish. So thats why i have to watch what i do.

Attachments

• 20170222_170657.jpg
    20170222_170657.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 205
The HoJo (Howard Johnson hotel) has an old 8-foot dish. I should ask if they want to sell it, because obviously it's not used anymore (they have a DirecTV micro headend now). I may just try a C-band LNB on the 90cm dish. It can't hurt, the LNB and scalar from my main satellite shop is about $30. Not a huge waste of money if it doesn't work.

The HoJo dish is likely a good commercial quality set-up. If it is a fixed (non-motorized) I probably wouldn't pick it for your first and primary dish. Most hotel dishes are a fixed mount fixed on a single satellite. Not easily changed to a polar mount. Take a few photos and we could provide feedback and suggestions. Now that you are looking, you probably will see BUDs peaking out from behind houses and on many businesses.

Good luck!

I have a friend with a BUD, and there are many houses around here with them as well. It would be weird to walk up to their door, knock and ask "Hey, can I buy that dish in your back yard?" XD
The HoJo dish has an actuator on it. I'll have to ask if I can get photos (or just be very quiet when taking the photos)

Don't be afraid to ask, the worst that can happen is they say "No" or ask an out of sight price. They can't eat you, it is against the rules.

I have a friend with a BUD, and there are many houses around here with them as well. It would be weird to walk up to their door, knock and ask "Hey, can I buy that dish in your back yard?" XD
The HoJo dish has an actuator on it. I'll have to ask if I can get photos (or just be very quiet when taking the photos)
I hope you do not have deal with an HOA.

Slightly Used 8ft Solid Dish Package for $399 USD shipped - TVROSat

I am the one that bought that, it was only available because of his HOA rules, he had to take it down! FCC allows them to restrict the size of the dish.

Make sure you know what your rights are before you go to too much trouble or spend any money!

What he says doesn't mean squat. What is written on paper has some meaning. For your own protection don't let him change his mind after he sees your dish, put it in writing.

I would go one further. Go before the Association and get formal approval from the HOA in writing, before you get to far. I would then take and record said approval in the County Land Records, be sure that your Lot and Block Number are included within the approval. If for some reason the document is not recordable, attach it as an Exhibit to an affidavit. Consult with a local attorney with experience in HOAs and land law.

By getting approval before putting it up and recording said approval in the County Land records, you will have created a verifiable record of the approval, so the HOA can't try to back track on you down the road. Well, they could try, but you could shut them down with the paper trail.

Since you are having to deal with a HOA, I would strongly recommend that you consult with an Attorney to make sure you don't get cut off at the knees because you missed something in dealing with the HOA. It will cost a few bucks, but having it where someone can't change the deal after the fact is well worth it.

Disclosure: I am not an Attorney and the above IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, but rather friendly advice.

I'm a minor, so all this is impossible. Quite a lot of steps for a satellite dish that isn't that big. I do have an opportunity to get a BUD from a friend (about 7 feet) and I'll just have to see when I get it.

I have to deal with management from hell that hates me because of my satellite dish. Here is my advice "GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING" you will need it they hate paper trails.

Reactions: k.r. and Horsepower
I dealt with a HOA once. By the time my attorneys got done with them, I could have put up a dish the size of the radio telescope at Greenbank, WV and they would have helped me install it. My attorney said most of their HOA agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)