921 and Overscan - Revisited

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
Its been about a year since I've purchased my 921 and about 10 months since the issue was last brought up.

I'd like to see just how much of the OVERSCAN problem I am experiencing is my Hitachi 57" and how much is the built in overscan of the 921 receiver.

Does anyone have an idea what the stock-out-of-the-box overscan is on a 921 via DVI output? Were the overscan issues ever resolved after SW L1.49? Mark L.?

I remember vaguely that my '811' had a lot less overscan when viewing the same HD-Net Test Pattern via DVI output.

I have included pic of all 4 sides taken today 12/30/04:

921 is set to DVI/1080i output

I would appreciate input from Gregg L. or anyone with ISF/overscan knowledge too!

Thanks!

Attachments

• mark_scan.jpg
    mark_scan.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 249
I don't have any idea how much the DVI side is overscanned, but directly comparing the 6000 output vs the 921 output via component video, the tops of the pictures are less than 1% different (51" screen), but with the bottom of the pictures, the 921 is overscanned about 2%-3% more than the 6000. The sides are not visibly different to me between the two receivers.

Also, keep in mind that the HDNet overscan test pattern is NOT accurate. Don Landis posted a mathematical proof of it several months back in the 921 support forum at DBSTalk, along with conversion formulas to convert the HDNet pattern readings to actual overscan percentages. I don't remember off the top of my head what the conversion was, but it was significant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)