921 caller ID

Hi John,
"Guess what, I finally got a 921 that the caller id works on!! "

GREAT NEWS !! Glad you finally got one that works correctly !!

Dave

Hi Alex,
"Mine has not worked yet. 921s has a lot bugs still, hope the id is a software issue."

Trust me (and John), it is NOT a software issue, it is a hardware issue. Call Dish now and have them send you a new 921 !!!

Dave

928gt said:
Hi Alex,
"Mine has not worked yet. 921s has a lot bugs still, hope the id is a software issue."

Trust me (and John), it is NOT a software issue, it is a hardware issue. Call Dish now and have them send you a new 921 !!!

Dave

I'm glad it finally worked on this one, John. Maybe 6th time's a charm!

Mainstreet said:
I'm glad it finally worked on this one, John. Maybe 6th time's a charm!
Finally, I'm glad, It's a real pain tearing down the home theater on a weekly basis. Disconnecting other receivers and testing connections.

I hope nothing elese goes wrong for awhile, I want to sit and watch TV. :)

Hey guys, I was on the phone with a tech guy from dish regarding a ppv timer issue and asked him about any new patches or updates to software issues and he says that they have a lot of new software updates planned and it's up to the engineers when they send them. I hate to send my 921 just for a caller id problem, you never know if the software might help but if I get another one then it might have other problems that I don't have now, nothing better than a turn key system huh guys? Thanks for the advice!
Good luck!
Alex

I actually called dish back to ask them about the issues with caller ID, i went through three different techs, the last one I talked to was the senior tech and he said that my caller id issues would be corrected with the next software update, he also said that the next update should take place sometime in the first quarter, so it could be a month, anyway that is what he said, now if that doesn't solve the problem I guess I can always get a new receiver then.
Alex

I'll have to applaud Dish for trying to make it right, they never hesitated to send me another 921 when I was having problems, even a simple caller id that didn't work. :clap

Alex, I guess the wait is your decision. I had CSR's and tech's tell me the problem was going to be fixed on the next software upgrade, L145 arrived and no fix. I think Dave (928gt) can verify that as well. Dish has a history of problems with their caller id.

Yes I can verify it is a hardware problem and not a software problem.

There also seems to be a bigger problem associated with 921s that have Caller ID problems. The main problem seems to do with the modem, not only does it cause the Caller ID to not work BUT, when the modem dials out it will not release the phone line until it finishes it's call. This may not sound like a big deal, until you need to make a 911 emergancy call and the 921 will not release the phone line for 5 minutes !!! What happens is the defective modem can't comunicate properly when it calls Dish and it keeps trying the call for 3-4 times before it fails. All during that time it takes control of the phone live and will not "let go" when you try to use the phone.. VERY dangerous.

If you have a 921 with bad Caller ID, get it replaced NOW.

You hae been warned !!

Dave

John Corn said:
I'll have to applaud Dish for trying to make it right, they never hesitated to send me another 921 when I was having problems, even a simple caller id that didn't work. :clap

Alex, I guess the wait is your decision. I had CSR's and tech's tell me the problem was going to be fixed on the next software upgrade, L145 arrived and no fix. I think Dave (928gt) can verify that as well. Dish has a history of problems with their caller id.

Ya, I guess you never know until it actually happens, I guess I'll wait for now.
Alex

>> .. the last one I talked to was the senior tech and he said that my caller id issues would be corrected with the next software update,

This may be the canned response when they don't know what's going on, but it MIGHT be software. "Oh, it'll be fixed next update..."

I called about my callerID not working today..they transferred me to a tech who was 'authorized' to deal with 921 issues. They are sending me a 3-prong adapter to try with my phone line connection...uh, ok :rolleyes:

It's hard to know what's going on when different people are saying different things, you would think that their senior tech would know what's going on but you never know.

Alex

Just remember, when the the time comes that the Senior Techs finally tell you that it is indeed a hardware issue (which will be after you have had it so long that you have it full of your favorite HD recordings),... that there were two honest guys with nothing to gain or lose who tried to tell you the truth. When we see your post a few months from now complaining that you have to lose all your favorite recordings because Dish has finally figured out your 921 has a hardware problem and you need to replace it .... we will be ROTFLOAO !!!

Dave

No reason to laugh dude, it's just confusing that's all. I do appreciate your side of it.
As long as it works as far as functionality goes, the caller ID is the last of my worries.
Alex

sclaws said:
I called about my callerID not working today..they transferred me to a tech who was 'authorized' to deal with 921 issues. They are sending me a 3-prong adapter to try with my phone line connection...uh, ok :rolleyes:

The three prong adapter will not likely work. It was designed when the 501's & 508's first had trouble with Caller ID on some units. The 501's & 508's did not have a three prong plug out of the receiver to the wall (they came with a two prong plug). The three prong adapter added the ground, but the 921's already have a three prong plug.

I was one of the first to receive the three prong plug adapter on my 508. It helped, but Caller ID went from not working at all to intermittently working on my 508. This, while others were not having a problem at all. Eventually after a few software updates, my 508's Caller ID worked flawlessly.

Is this a hardware or software issue? It's both! My guess is that slightly different modems are in different receivers. While some don't have a problem at all, others will need a software update to have them work correctly. If non-working Caller ID doesn't bother you too much, you can wait to see if the next couple of software updates do the trick. You can always send tour 921 back later. But if you want the Caller ID now, you can try requesting another 921, which might get you working Caller ID sooner.

As long as it works as far as functionality goes, the caller ID is the last of my worries

Hi Alex,

If it were just the Caller ID that was affected I would have dropped this subject a long time ago. The Caller ID not fuctioning on the 921 is just an outwardly noticable symptom from a larger problem with the modem. In my testing of the modem on a 921 with non functional Caller ID, the modem would not release the phone line when it tried to call Dish. This is just plain dangerous. Since the modem has a problem, it would dial out repeatedly to Dish for approx 3-5 mins and finally fail to complete. ALL during this time it would not release my phone line. You say that is not a big deal, BUT if you or a member of your family needed to call 911 for a true emergancy and the 921 happened to be trying to call Dish you would not be able to make that call. In an emergancy 3-5 mins is a LONG time and can mean the difference between life and death, or the difference between one room burning or your whole house....

This part of the Caller ID issue is of course not a laughing matter.

Dave

928gt said:
Hi Alex,

In my testing of the modem on a 921 with non functional Caller ID, the modem would not release the phone line when it tried to call Dish. Dave

Hey Dave,
I rarely ever use my home phone for anything, let alone calling for any emergencies, I when to the system setup and did the phone tests and after it passed the connection the phone line responded immediately with my home phone, The 921 uses the phone line for calling out barely at all, most updates are downloaded from the satellite, then you take in account more than one line and cell phones, I can call anytime I need to.

As I said when you buy a box like the 921 the most important thing and the reason you buy it is record and watch TV at your own leisure, if the extra fluff of caller ID isn't working, it isn't worth sending it back for, as long as everything else is working properly. Now after the next update which I hear will have a lot of fixes, if that doesn't seem to cure the caller ID and other issues then I will be making that call to the "senior" tech,
Take care,
Alex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts