921 can I disconnect fan?

spiderg8r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Former Dish customer and I'd like to use my 921 as more than just an ugly $1000 paperweight, but its far too noisy to be used in my bedroom for OTA reception, and if I keep it unplugged when not in use, it takes at least 5 min to boot up.

Will there be overheating if the fan is disconnected, but the unit is rarely used and when it is its only OTA?

thanks

If you disconnect fan, you will have yourself that $1000 paperweight you mentioned. All Hard Drives need to remain cool in order to keep working. You could put receiver in another room where noise would not be as much of a factor and run wires to the tv to use it for ota, this works due to 921 have uhf remote. I have my 921 in room next to bedroom with wires run through the wall behind the tv. No noise in bedroom.

Unfortunately, the UHF remotes never did work reliably with mine, I have to push any button several times to hope it might work. I always used an old ir dish remote for it. Also, I want this fh HD OTA, so running wires wouldn't really be workable.

live with the noise, youll be okay?

... you don't understand - its really loud. Easily the loudest thing in the house - like having a single engine aircraft taking off from my bedroom.

Don't use Dish anymore and its a few years old so warranty shouldn't be an issue. And without EPG recording is fairly useless also. But I do get all networks in HD with just rabbit ears. Does anyone know if it would work at all w/o the hdd or is the operating system on there?

I have better idea - use German made replacement fan; I have one, Probst - very quiet, silent using from 4.5V to 14V power line. High quality. [Taken from old lab pricey equipment 250K ;)].

live with the noise, youll be okay?
... you don't understand - its really loud. Easily the loudest thing in the house - like having a single engine aircraft taking off from my bedroom.
I do understand im quite familar with multiple dvr's and laptop cooling fans in the bedrooms
I find the nosies actually quite realxing:cool:

Thanks for the input, I'll try to replace the fans, thats a good idea.

Sorry StonePhillips420, but the noise is seriously too great to make it practical for my bedroom. It may be that mine is noisier than others, but it is ridiculous and not 'soothing' at all, as a cieling fan may be.

again thanks for all the ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)