921 not recording (last weekend)

bobc

Original poster
May 24, 2004
3 times over the course of last weekend I set my 921 to record the F1 race on SpeedVision. It didn't record it at all. The 921 also didn't record some other programs last weekend. Did anyone else have this problem?

No, but it sounds like time for a reboot. My 510 had its first hiccup for me last week when it missed a few timers and wouldn't record. unplug the receiver, wait a bit, and plug it back in and it should heal itself....

I've had a number of timers not fire recently on my 921, and the few that do seem to have the wrong program name showing up on them (though the actual program itself is the right one). I've tried re-adding the timers, but it hasn't helped. I'm now going to try a reboot and see if that helps.

This is getting extremely frustrating -- I don't remember seeing this kind of missed recording on previous builds, except on OTA channels where I had marginal reception. I'm now seeing this a regular thing, even on satellite channels. :/

ronf: You gotta catch up on the threads - especially over on the Official Support forum @ DBSTalk - these are known issues of various causes.

I thought _this_ was the official support forum, and I did look for any other threads here on missed recordings and this was the only one I found. Has the DBSTalk forum taken over as the official place to get support? I really don't have time to read all the different sites these days, but I'd be happy to move over there is that's what is expected.

For what it's worth, I rebooted last night and my recording tonight _finally_ worked (third time's the charm! :/)...

At one time Dish Network had asked Scott to set this forum as a place to post 921 problems and E* would read them (no responses or posts). I don't know if E* vists this site or not, but feel free to posts your questions here. I personally have a 921 and will try to answer any questions you might have.

My 921 had been working great under L184, but last week decided it didn't want to record anything. The only way to fix it was to Hard Power Off (unplug from wall for a couple minutes) the unit. It has worked fine since. My guess is a memory leak finaly used up all the memory and simply couldn't fire the timer. I hadn't had to reboot mine in a month, guess that isn't always a good thing.

I expect(hope) the next non-emergency release to clean up alot of these issues. Mark is hinting that this week won't be the week it gets released, but maybe we'll be suprised.

Ron - both this forum and the 921 forum at DBSTalk are excellent sources for 921 support from me, A_Noland, and other 921 users. The difference between the forums, however, is that the 921 development team leaders (software and hardware) from Eldon scan through the 921 forum at DBSTalk every morning (their time) first thing to see what new issues have popped up. The Eldon folks also read through this forum as well from time to time, just not with the same frequency. Other Dish people also peruse both forums as well.

You get support both places. But, if you want Eldon to see your report, they'll see it sooner if you post it at DBSTalk.

[Disclaimer - nothing in this post was meant to denigrate in any way the 921 forum here at Satelliteguys or to in any way imply that my 921 forum at DBSTalk is "better" than the 921 forum here. The 2 forums serve differnet purposes.]

For the last two weeks I've had timers not fire. When it happens, no timers will fire at all. The only way to fix it is to Hard Power Off (unplug from wall for a couple minutes) the unit. I've tried deleting all timers, reseating the smart card, etc. but the only thing that works is a hard power off reboot. The timers will then work ok for another 3-4 days until they fail again and I have to power cycle the unit again to get them to fire. My 921 was fairly stable but has gotten very buggy lately with this an a lot of other strange behavior.

Well my timers were not going off so I performed the power cord reboot. After the reboot I was not able to get any channels at all. I then did a check switch and all my three satellites appeared. I then performed a power button off, now nothing appeared not even the menu. Time to call Dish..."one of your cables must be disconnected", "your sw64 must have gone bad", "you did a power cord off reboot, you just erased all your settings"....more unbelievable nonsense from the Advance Tec. people. I fix the unit myself by again doing a poweroff and a check switch test. The problem is that again the darn timers wont fire and that I now have only two hours of information on my guide. I again called Advance Tec. so that they can document the problems I'm having with the unit. This is not fun!

Just got off the phone with Dish. Ran thru an extensive review of my satellite signals and power off button resets...outcome still no full guide data, at most guide info is only two hours into the future. Told to call back if the quide is still not getting info, may have to replace the unit.

SimpleSimon said:
jcord51: Have you deleted ALL timers before doing the power cord reboot?

Your EPG should reappear in the early morning hours.
Well I did recover my guide info (thanks Simon) and the timers are correctly in place for firing. The problem is that they will not fire, you actually have to be viewing the showing and manually hit record. Then after the recording you have to manually have to stop the recording (This is not OTA recordings but all guide recordings). I called Dish again to document this and they stated that there is nothing at this point that they can do until the next SW revision. They have credited my account $15 for the month.

Mine seems to LIKE recording, I have had timers fire over the past week which kept on recording until I rebooted the 921.

Its really weird.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mine seems to LIKE recording, I have had timers fire over the past week which kept on recording until I rebooted the 921.

Its really weird.
Also a common problem - but you know that. :)

P.S. Thank the Prize Goddess for the prize pack! - it arrived a couple of days ago!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)