921 or 811?

mailman390

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Connecticut
I'm finally getting installed tomorrow! Question: Should I stay with the 811 or go with the 921? I here the 921 is very buggy. If they are equally buggy then go with the dvr? I think (hope) I'm getting a SuperDish. I ordered HD and locals with the Everything Pak. Are they roof mounting the SuperDish or pole mount?

I have two questions about the 921.

1 - Can you watch live OTA on the 921 (I hear the 942 will not let you do this)

2 - Can you watch OTA while recording (I understand it can only be the one channel)

Thanks

Grandpa J said:
I have two questions about the 921.

1 - Can you watch live OTA on the 921 (I hear the 942 will not let you do this)

2 - Can you watch OTA while recording (I understand it can only be the one channel)

Thanks

1. Yes. I believe the limitation w/ the 942 is not being able to watch live OTA on TV2.

2. You can watch the OTA you are recording, but not another OTA. You can watch the OTA recording delayed while it is recording.

1. YES, you can watch live OTA on both the 921 & the 942 - Its no live OTA on TV2 of the 942.
2. Yes you can watch the channel you're recording.

It should be pointed out that none of the DVRs will record or 'trick play' an analog OTA signal, just the DTV OTAs.

Thank you all very much.

I can not get analog OTA just digital OTA so it looks like the 921 will work for me as I will be losing local nets to keep distant nets. Guess at $489 for the unit I'll go over to Costco. Just wish one of the HD DVRs had 2 OTA tuners.

Thanks again

811 user here with cruddy SD PQ - still looking for a way to better SD picture (grainy/pixelation on a 65" Mitsubishi) anyone who moved to the 921 experience better PQ with the 921 over the 811? Thanks.

I've had the 811 and currently own the 921. The 921 kicks ass. HD WITH dual DVR? It's a no brainer. Specially for $500 or less. PQ for the 811 and 921 seemed identical to me, and ironically, my 721 with s-video out seemd a bit better with SD PQ than my 921 does with SD PQ, even though I'm using the DVI interface for my 921. HD PQ still blows me away every single time.

Ocaddict, I agree the PQ on HD is outstanding. I think thats why we want all channels like that.And we bum out when Dish doesn't promise any more soon. Just (part time HD) ESPN and a few that don't provide much for content.All for the low,low price of $9.99 every month.Every month Voom looks more promising.

ocaddict said:
I've had the 811 and currently own the 921. The 921 kicks ass. HD WITH dual DVR? It's a no brainer. Specially for $500 or less. PQ for the 811 and 921 seemed identical to me, and ironically, my 721 with s-video out seemd a bit better with SD PQ than my 921 does with SD PQ, even though I'm using the DVI interface for my 921. HD PQ still blows me away every single time.

My guess is that your TV is doing the upscaling and most likely will have a better scaler than the 921 or 811. That would be my guess why the 721 SD looked a bit better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)