921 Q/A Hold Thread

It will be at least 2 months before Sears gets any 921's

I wish that wasn't the case cause I have a rain check for a $899 one there .

beast37799 said:
if what i herd from the retail chat was correct we wont have our 921 till next month what the f***

Jim DeFranco said that the 921's would probably start shipping toward the END of March, and even then, there wouldn't be that many coming out. It could be a couple more months before they really start rolling out of the warehouses.

Still No news on when these things ship? I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket, and a new plasma on the wall begging for a HD signal. Anyone have any new hopeful gossip?

I got the same E-mail you did. If Sears is discontinuing theDish hd dvr then what is going on with the 921. This really must be one messed up receiver if even Dish is recalling all the existing ones and haven't release any new ones in what 2 months now? Maybe Dish is realizing that releasing receivers with hardware and software problems and charging 1000.00 a box isn't going to cut it anymore.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!! :p :p :p

MikeD-C05 said:
I got the same E-mail you did. If Sears is discontinuing theDish hd dvr then what is going on with the 921. This really must be one messed up receiver if even Dish is recalling all the existing ones and haven't release any new ones in what 2 months now? Maybe Dish is realizing that releasing receivers with hardware and software problems and charging 1000.00 a box isn't going to cut it anymore.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!! :p :p :p
I got my 921 re-released replacement receiver Friday and it works quite nicely. No re-boots, no freeze-ups, no problems.

The only people who have SERIOUS issues with the 921 are those who don't own one and just spend their time proliferating horror stories of a product they believe to be really bad.

Fact is from this owner, that the 921 is a really terriffic and near perfect recording system for time shifting. I own two 169Time recording systems, a JVC40K, Mits 2000U and a Panny recording system. Now the 921. History and practice speaks for itself. I record several hours of shows each day easily and simply. I now record more shows per day than I recorded in a week with the 169Time stuff just because it works so well and is so easy to do. Yes, the OTA recordings require several more remote clicks to set up than the Sat channels due to lack of guide info. But knowing the time I want to record and setting up manually, they all execute without issues. The DVHS recording solutions I have ALL require a multitude of hoops to go through to do a timer based recording. Then it fires at best 80% of the time. Playback is always plagued with less than perfect quality. The 921 has never presented a glitchy recording, not even when recording two sat channels and watching a third prerecorded program at the same time. Simply put, the 921 rocks! Yes, a few people have some issues with what they expect in an OTA function with this Dish Network receiver but it still works. Maybe all their expectations have not been met yet with the OTA offerings but I can't see anyone complaining that the Dish Channels recordings are an issue of complaint. So what are the real complaints about the 921?
Here's my summation of the major real complaints on the 921-
1. Not available to those who want one.
2. Dishwire not yet active for archiving to DVHS.
3. Dish Network, taking way too long to fix the returned 921's hardware problems.
4. Once in awhile it reboots on it's own.
5. No OTA Guide info.

I think 1 and 2 are real issues but 1 is really a DishNetwork policy issue, not a 921 problem. #3 is also a Dish Network management problem and needs to have better turnaround time. People should not be waiting longer than a week for a repair to happen. #4 is a non-issue, IMO, because it rarely reboots with the latest firmware updates. Last mine rebooted while watching was over 2 weeks ago.

#5 is a huge complaint that there is no OTA guide info. I view this like no Dishwire. It is a feature that is on the agenda to activate when it is ready. Right now it is an inconvenience but it still does not prevent me from timeshifting OTA shows. I have a half dozen weekly timers set now that fire off with 100% accuracy even though some fire off on Network schedule changes. The last week was a disaster due to the networks pre-emption of nearly every timer event I had set. This is not a 921 issue, it is a network issue. I believe the TIVO name based recording would have prevented this but that is a TIVO and it is not yet available. I have the 921 and tonight I recorded 2 sat channels while watching a third prerecorded program all without problems or flaws. I set it up in a few seconds. Try that with less than my $4000 worth of DVHS recording investment. I could do it ( record two sat channels, watch a tape on the third DVHS VCR) but it would take nearly 20 minutes to configure everything.
Yes, the biggest complainers of the 921 seem to be those who don't have one!

Dish Network could put 95% of all the complaints to rest if they would fix the warrantied 921's in a timely manner and open the floodgates for retail sales for the 921 demand. There will always be issues on a new product from Dish but like the JVC30K, the sales should continue. ( JVC had huge issues with that VCR yet as they continued to work on a resolution, they continued to ship product) If they know what the blue line issue was, then fix it in mfg and release newly made 921's and continue to augment the shipping with factory fixed blue line defective inventory.

All I'm saying is that if the 921 works as well as mine does, Dish Network is shooting themselves in the foot for not selling this now.

I could not agree more with Don's post. The 921 was worth the wait for me--its a great machine. I'm hopeful Dish will get these things out in the market again ASAP so we can move forward from bashing the 921 to enjoying it and find something else to bash ;)

The 921 has had its share of annoying quirks (it can't seem to avoid the 0 sec. recording bug on King of Queens lately) but otherwise it is a great machine.

Lightning fast EPG scrolling, gorgeous picture, not a single Dolby Digital audio dropout yet, and a huge hard drive. When it DOES hiccup, it recovers and continues like nothing went wrong. I wish they could figure out a way to speed up the SLOW reboots, but other than that I'll wait patiently until they tighten things up. Hey, even my Dishplayers are stable now, so ANYTHING is possible.

Don Landis said:
The only people who have SERIOUS issues with the 921 are those who don't own one and just spend their time proliferating horror stories of a product they believe to be really bad.

Fact is from this owner, that the 921 is a really terriffic and near perfect recording system for time shifting. I own two 169Time recording systems, a JVC40K, Mits 2000U and a Panny recording system. Now the 921. History and practice speaks for itself. I record several hours of shows each day easily and simply. I now record more shows per day than I recorded in a week with the 169Time stuff just because it works so well and is so easy to do. Yes, the OTA recordings require several more remote clicks to set up than the Sat channels due to lack of guide info. But knowing the time I want to record and setting up manually, they all execute without issues. The DVHS recording solutions I have ALL require a multitude of hoops to go through to do a timer based recording. Then it fires at best 80% of the time. Playback is always plagued with less than perfect quality. The 921 has never presented a glitchy recording, not even when recording two sat channels and watching a third prerecorded program at the same time. Simply put, the 921 rocks! Yes, a few people have some issues with what they expect in an OTA function with this Dish Network receiver but it still works. Maybe all their expectations have not been met yet with the OTA offerings but I can't see anyone complaining that the Dish Channels recordings are an issue of complaint. So what are the real complaints about the 921?
Here's my summation of the major real complaints on the 921-
1. Not available to those who want one.
2. Dishwire not yet active for archiving to DVHS.
3. Dish Network, taking way too long to fix the returned 921's hardware problems.
4. Once in awhile it reboots on it's own.
5. No OTA Guide info.

I think 1 and 2 are real issues but 1 is really a DishNetwork policy issue, not a 921 problem. #3 is also a Dish Network management problem and needs to have better turnaround time. People should not be waiting longer than a week for a repair to happen. #4 is a non-issue, IMO, because it rarely reboots with the latest firmware updates. Last mine rebooted while watching was over 2 weeks ago.

#5 is a huge complaint that there is no OTA guide info. I view this like no Dishwire. It is a feature that is on the agenda to activate when it is ready. Right now it is an inconvenience but it still does not prevent me from timeshifting OTA shows. I have a half dozen weekly timers set now that fire off with 100% accuracy even though some fire off on Network schedule changes. The last week was a disaster due to the networks pre-emption of nearly every timer event I had set. This is not a 921 issue, it is a network issue. I believe the TIVO name based recording would have prevented this but that is a TIVO and it is not yet available. I have the 921 and tonight I recorded 2 sat channels while watching a third prerecorded program all without problems or flaws. I set it up in a few seconds. Try that with less than my $4000 worth of DVHS recording investment. I could do it ( record two sat channels, watch a tape on the third DVHS VCR) but it would take nearly 20 minutes to configure everything.
Yes, the biggest complainers of the 921 seem to be those who don't have one!

Dish Network could put 95% of all the complaints to rest if they would fix the warrantied 921's in a timely manner and open the floodgates for retail sales for the 921 demand. There will always be issues on a new product from Dish but like the JVC30K, the sales should continue. ( JVC had huge issues with that VCR yet as they continued to work on a resolution, they continued to ship product) If they know what the blue line issue was, then fix it in mfg and release newly made 921's and continue to augment the shipping with factory fixed blue line defective inventory.

All I'm saying is that if the 921 works as well as mine does, Dish Network is shooting themselves in the foot for not selling this now.
Right on Don...I love mine.

I love mine too,
but from afar...................
I fact we've never met, and my video shelf is is as empty as a hermit's address book.

Mine's great too. I was fortunate enough not to get the "blue lines" problem, so I never had to get a replacement. It does have a few quirks which I hope they iron out soon, but I couldn't be happier. It was worth the wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts