921 switch check problems

volksman

Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Just received new 921 receiver. When doing the switch check I get an error 923. I also get this message: (When comparing 2 legacy matrices they do not match. They do not have the same number of columns. This receiver will not work correctly in this configuration.) The receiver goes through the switch check list and shows everything OK for satellite input 1 but indicates no switch detected for input 2.

Called DISH for technical help. They indicate a defective satellite input 2 port. Anyone else have this problem. I don't want to trade out for a refurbished unit if there is another solution. Thanks

VOLKSMAN

Just to get it to perform a check switch, be sure that you have two leads from the same switch. If you have a superdish or say three switchs, just be sure that the two inputs are for the same thing like 110/119 not 110/105. After, you modify connections, the 921 needs to see the same switchs on the two inputs.
If it is a faulty switch, try swapping the inputes and rerunning the check switch, You just may have a cable with a short wire that doens't connect well. Be sure to check them. Also be sure that you haven't accidently hooked your OTA lead to one of the satellite imputs.

I use two dishes to pick up 110/119/61.5 and I have traded the two inputs and get the same results.

volksman said:
I use two dishes to pick up 110/119/61.5 and I have traded the two inputs and get the same results.
Ok, I kinda have the same here. 110.119 and 148. I have a quad for the dish 500 and the 300 is dual. I have them separated with two sw-21's. I accidently had a 119/110 and a 119/110/148 hooked to the satellite input. The Check switch took forever and never worked. I had to try different tests until I got the two sw-21 switches to the inputs, as nothing was marked. All works good now.

By trading the 2 inputs, you've pretty much nailed it down to a faulty tuner.

You still didn't tell us your configuration. For example, there's at least FIVE separate Dish500 configurations. Three Legacy and 2 DishPro. I say that mainly for other readers future reference.

Anyway volksman, the only other thing you can try is a full switch matrix reset:
  • disconnect sat feeds
  • run check switch
  • pull power plug
  • run check switch AGAIN
  • reconnect feeds
  • run check switch
  • cross fingers

Did switch matrix reset and I now have other problrms. When I plug the unit back in I get a screen that indicates the unit is downloading satellite data. When the unit completes this download the screen goes blank. If I turn the unit off and then back on the screen is still blank and the blue or green light on the front of the unitdoesn't come on to indicate HD or SD.

I tried the unplug several times with the same results. Any work around for this

How much patience are you having? It takes SEVERAL MINUTES for the box to load & reboot & such.

It's encouraging that the matrix reset got it to a point where it downloaded - now let's hope that your power cycling hasn't killed it. :(

SimpleSimon said:
How much patience are you having? It takes SEVERAL MINUTES for the box to load & reboot & such.

It's encouraging that the matrix reset got it to a point where it downloaded - now let's hope that your power cycling hasn't killed it. :(

As a n00b, can you explain the boot process? I know when I plugged it in, I got this big silver medallion that says "dish network HDTV" does this mean it's booting? There's no real activity light or progress indicator to show what's going on there.... Is this where I'm supposed to wait?

Also, does holding down the power button perform a reset? I think I did that. ;)

With all that said, mine downloaded and installed fine last night. The only thing that goofed it up was one of my local OTA stations locked the device up so it wouldn't display any channel. The menuing still worked tho. Any suggestions on how to get out of that locked state without rebooting?

I've looked thru the forum here and really haven't found a spot where there's a general "noob guide" or the "hints and kinks" for this unit. Am I not looking in the right spot?

Meanwhile, after that reset I did, everything seems to be working just fine. I was able to do the "trick play" stuff with local and sat tv. Wow, that is some neat stuff! :) There was an interesting show on "extreme engineering" in HD that i started watching last night...it was kinda late, so it was very cool to hit record and go to bed. :D

Michael

mwsmith2,

The boot process is just like a computer, except the receiver doesn't show you the steps on your screen.

Holding down the power button is like a Ctrl, Alt, Del on your computer, it reboots the receiver without turning off the power.

A power cord reboot, of course, kills the power and the receiver does a complete reboot.

There is supposed to be a software update on 11/18 which is supposed to correct most/all of the local problems people are having. Notice there are a lot of "supposed" in that statement.;)

Just remember it takes several minutes for the reboot to complete. I always give it about 5 minutes.

Ah! Ok, that makes a lot of sense. They really don't tell you about the 5 minute boot process. I'm coming from a 6000, so that one is ready to go pretty quick. Alrighty, as long as I see the big silver logo on the screen, I'll just hang loose until it comes up.

Dish HD opinions

Dish 500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts