922 (a good experience) There is Hope!

jdolotina

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Shreveport, LA
I have to say I have been pretty skeptical about buying the 922, but this past Tuesday I took the plunge and got the 922. So, I figured I would pass on my “SO FAR” good experience. On this forum there seems to be a lot of negative experiences, which makes the receiver seem as if it is not worth the trouble. So here goes my experience.
Prior to having the 922, I had a VIP 722. That receiver was not hooked to Ethernet or even to the phone line. I had just TV and DVR capability and that was it. So, the 922 was definitely a change. I ordered a 922 from a local vendor here in Shreveport. I picked it up on Tuesday and prayed that I wouldn’t be returning the receiver at the end of the day. I should note that I installed the unit myself and did not have dish network hook it up. After reading a lot of good info on this website, I had enough confidence to set it up myself. One problem that I did have, was that I did not have an Ethernet connection near my TV. After picking up the receiver I went to Best Buy and picked up a Netgear XAVB1004. The Net gear unit is power line adapter that basically has a four port switch with QoS. Port one has highest priority versus port four has least priority. Transfer rate on the unit goes up to 200 Mbps.
Moving on, I then hooked up the receiver which was rather straight forward. I then powered everything up, and at first the receiver went through probably a half hour worth of software updates. I’m assuming that the unit had basically bare bone software on it, and once linked with 119 the software for the receiver downloads. Then once the software downloaded the receiver then rebooted and went through a startup process. Then the receiver updated the firmware on the remote via UHF, which to me was pretty impressive. Once complete, I then had to activate the receiver with Dish Network. Talked to dish, got it activated and the receiver then took another 20 minutes or so to download program data and activate. Once I had programming I moved on to the check switch. At first, the receiver said I had 119, 110, and 129. For the hell of it, I went ahead and ran another check switch. Everything went ok and once again the receiver started updating program data. Once done, I moved on to broadband set-up and the broadband set-up was green. I then logged into my router and reserved the lease for the IP address that was assigned to my 922. I then set the 922 to be a DMZ Host within the router settings. At this point everything was moving smoothly. Channel banners were missing, which I expected, because of what I heard on this forum. Once everything seemed to be working, I tinkered with the menus and setup options. From reading the forum, I figured I wouldn’t even attempt to try and sling anything for at least 3 days. Curiosity got the better of me and of course decided to try. Logged into dish remote access and noticed under “my equipment” that the broadband connection said it was not connected. After tinkering with the menu, I noticed that I could test the broadband connection, and send that info to Dish Network. Did just that and sent the info. Now the only issue I had with the unit was when I clicked on weather or sling everywhere. The receiver would basically lock up. At this point I probably had to reset at least four times. I looked up the forums and found that if you hit the menu button twice, you get some info on sling player firmware. If it is all zeroes you get the lock-up issue. So that explained why my receiver was locking up. By now its 11:30 at night and I’m pooped. I figured I would let it update over night and maybe get some more functionality out of the unit the next day.
In the morning, now Wednesday, I fired up the TV and hit the menu button twice and noticed that the sling player had a firmware update, and my channels all had banners! I noticed on the website when logging into Dish Network that under “my equipment” that the broadband connection said yes. I then move onto the Sling Player under remote access and what do you know I am slinging live TV! I updated my iPhone 4 with the Sling Player App and that worked too. Everything functioning as advertised! The only thing was that even on HD channels it seemed to only stream in SD. I’m ok with this, because I am just trying to watch my shows. I had video on demand, DVR timers are functioning correctly, and the receiver doesn’t freeze up when accessing the weather or sling everywhere. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.
In the end, I just wanted to share my experience since it seems that many people are having tons of issues with no end in sight. My receiver took less than 24 hours to literally be 100% functional. I would like to say that there is hope, and that patience is definitely required. If it doesn’t work right away, please give it time before jumping to the phone to call Dish Network or let alone slandering the unit in the forums. On the other hand and most importantly, I learned TONS of information on this website to effectively install and tame the 922. My thanks to everyone on this forum for the interesting and helpful info on the 922. So far the receiver has been great and I don’t regret buying it. It’s only Thursday though, but so far off to a good start!

In the end, I just wanted to share my experience since it seems that many people are having tons of issues with no end in sight.

Yep my experience as well. I like the unit and it seems that most of the complaints are about stuff that is promised and hasn't yet happened, i.e. tv1/tv2, EHD usage, sling extender, and the like.

Moe

My feelings too. The word "jaded" comes to mind.

Jaded or very well acquainted with DISH's buggy software and promised features that never materialize.

I had the 721 with internet features promised--never happened. I had the 921 with promised features --never happened. I have the 922 with promised internet browser supposedly BUILT in to the receiver--won't happen due to new google bo:mad:discounted for DISH subs at $179.00 and another monthly $4.00 fee). I won't be getting this one.

At this point I will be happy if the external hard drive feature is finally turned on. The 922 works for most recordings now. I have Play-on application that allows me access to Netflix and Hula ,just to mention a few. My sling works if I want to watch tv 2 in hd over my computer.

I really wanted the sling extender ,but gave up on that box a few months back and just added another 211k with dvr software . All I need now is the archiving to external hard drive and I would be feel like this 922 receiver was worth the money I spent to upgrade and Own it.

I will not pay for anymore monthly fees, so the google box is out of the question. DISH is out of control on these made up "charge just because we can fees". My bill goes up every year, this year twice! I don't need anymore monthly fees to hike it even higher.

DISH I have had this box since May 6th and I want the archiving feature enabled! I didn't pay the $40.00 fee to have my 1 tb external hard drive sit idle for months on end. Give me this ONE feature and I will be satisfied.:deal:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)