922 Apps with new S/W

csmith5111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Well found out before going to sleep that the 922 got a new s/w dl. Found out by going into system info. I pressed menu and before I pressed it again I saw a new tile on the main menu. It said Apps. I was wondering when this day would come. Saw we have a MSNBC and NBC sports and a couple games. Will check all out in further detail later just felt the need to post the good news. Dish just keeps on giving this year.

The apps have the ability to be good, but they seem to take me back to my WebTV days... very slow to load with not much real content.

If you are going to show news from MSNBC then show news not just half a paragraph about a story, instead give me the full story and since its MSNBC show me video from MSNBC about that story... speaking of video one of the stories on MSNBC at the moment is one that says "Video: Dozens of bald eagles gather in Iowa" But there is no video. This is a broadband enabled box and these features use broadband so why not give it some broadband features?

The poker and blackjack have nice graphics but are dull, I beat poker in my first hand.

The apps are a good first start but need a lot of work to make them broadband enabled and interactive. There is a lot more they could have done to make you want to use these features more often.

I agree completely. Its just nice to finally have something. Maybe dish wants to see what the reaction is and go from there. And since there are dish people on here I'm sure our voices will get heard. But as we all know it takes time to get new s/w out there but in less than a year we have had 12 or so upg on one box. Which we should. This is Dish's flagship device. I see it getting better and better.

the black jack game won't let you split a hand. other than that and the lack of the news on the MSNBC & NBC sports apps they are pretty good. just need to be tweaked a little. and add a browser to the list.

They have potential. I mean it's all webkit based so they could do something really cool with them. They really need to open it up to third-party developers and let a ton of people bang away at it. I mean imagine if they did a deal with one of the online content providers, or even twit.tv or revision3. It could end up being something awesome. And would make the 922 much more attractive.

I would love if it had those features. Especially TWiT.TV as I watch that one all the time. :) The 922 does not have Flash built in which is one of the reasons DISH like GoogleTV... they could ad internet to their receivers without licensing flash. But since video works via DLNA the 922 can play some video formats.

Oh that's true, it doesn't have Flash. But DLNA support does mean that the unit at least has the capability to play H.264 files and you technically don't need Flash to watch video on the web. Just ask anyone with an Apple iOS device. :) It depends more on the capabilities of the webkit browser that's in there.

Just got this...

"LIVE" Sports Option in Search

On 3/1/2011, the 922 rolled out software S112.

Live Sports is a new option under ‘Schedule’ that is being added to the Themes and Search field on 922s.

If a customer modifies their search criteria using ‘Live Sports’ it will return only sporting events that are being broadcast live.
This will provide more precise search results for customers that are trying to find their game.

Other receivers tentatively scheduled to receive this feature:
722 – Late March
622 / 722k / 612 / 222k – April
222 / 211 /211k / 322 – May
512 / 522 / 625 - June

Interactive Apps on 922

On 3/1/2011, the 922 rolled out software S112. One of the new features is the Apps tile available through the 922 Menu. This new tile will include interactive programs, similar to DISH Home on other receivers that customers will find useful, specifically:

MSNBC
NBC Sports
Access Hollywood
Astrology
Scrambler
Gomoku
Texas Hold’em
Blackjack

Additionally, an option has been added to the Parental Controls to password protect the new Apps tile.

Those apps are a joke, and I am not holding my hopes up that anything better will ever appear. Reminds me of channel 100/Dish Home when the 4900 came out.

I was on the phone with the VIP-922 support team yesterday. I was asking about a slingplayer and they mentioned that they are working on one to be completely compatible with the 922. While in discussion, the lady mentioned that it should roll out about the same time Google TV comes to the 922. Once she said that, I asked more questions about what she just said. I said, "So you are telling me that you are bringing Google TV to the 922?". She said yes, and that it will be a app that runs on the 922. It looks to be a month or two when that will roll out. Hopefully a fully functional slingplayer will come out at that time also. Just thought I would share this with you guys.

Drerex said:
I was on the phone with the VIP-922 support team yesterday. I was asking about a slingplayer and they mentioned that they are working on one to be completely compatible with the 922. While in discussion, the lady mentioned that it should roll out about the same time Google TV comes to the 922. Once she said that, I asked more questions about what she just said. I said, "So you are telling me that you are bringing Google TV to the 922?". She said yes, and that it will be a app that runs on the 922. It looks to be a month or two when that will roll out. Hopefully a fully functional slingplayer will come out at that time also. Just thought I would share this with you guys.

Sweet. That'll make the extra monthly fees worth it

Im confused? Isnt the sling player fully functional allready? I must be missing somthing here? lol.....If they add the google device it will only be an add on for all other recievers?

I think you were told a story... (while I hope it is true)

I met with the Sling guys at CES and the stand along software has been discontinued for all platforms. They want everyone to watch online. If your not a DISH customer you watch via Slingbox.COM.

I am really PISSED at Sling, their recent iPad update disabled support for the Sling Pro units, which has knocked out 5 of my 8 Sling units. They have said that the software would support Sling Pro, Pro HD and Solo and them BOOM out of nowhere this update comes out and you can no longer watch your Sling Pro units on the Ipad. The reason I am pissed is because they use to work before... I believe that the only reason they stopped letting you watch from your Slingpro units is because they want you to upgrade to newer Slingboxes.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think you were told a story... (while I hope it is true)

I met with the Sling guys at CES and the stand along software has been discontinued for all platforms. They want everyone to watch online. If your not a DISH customer you watch via Slingbox.COM.

I am really PISSED at Sling, their recent iPad update disabled support for the Sling Pro units, which has knocked out 5 of my 8 Sling units. They have said that the software would support Sling Pro, Pro HD and Solo and them BOOM out of nowhere this update comes out and you can no longer watch your Sling Pro units on the Ipad. The reason I am pissed is because they use to work before... I believe that the only reason they stopped letting you watch from your Slingpro units is because they want you to upgrade to newer Slingboxes.

I understand your pain. But I think it is apple that is to blame. Some bs about pq on the "big screen"

Right, that makes no sense at all. There are very few iPhone apps that I use on the iPad due to the quality after the "stretch"

Scott Greczkowski said:
WHo cares... now to watch my Slingbox Pro's on my iPad I need to use the iPhone Slingplayer app... do you think that looks good?

No I'm pretty sure it looks horrible. I just remember something on Engadget talking about it a while back. I def don't agree with their decision at all.

I am guessing that the CSR had no idea what they're talking about (as usual). While I don't doubt that Google TV support is coming to the 922, it is extremely unlikely that it will be integrated in with the receiver. Dish will just add support for the Logitech box the same as they did for the 722.

I thought Scott mentioned something about GoogleTV being integrated into the 922 from CES, but maybe I'm totally making that up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts