922 Apps with new S/W

I hear ya Scott. I hope it isn't BS. I bought the 922 with high hopes and I am not very pleased. I guess we will see though. They did say google TV will come as a app and that they are working on a slingplayer. I do know that Sling is not involved in the slingplayer work that dish is supposably "working" on. Sling mentioned that this is all in Dish hands.

I don't really understand the point of a slingplayer app on the 922? You mean to watch other slingboxes? Not sure that makes any sense.

I don't really understand the point of a slingplayer app on the 922? You mean to watch other slingboxes? Not sure that makes any sense.

Something like that shouldn't be an app per say, but part of the drop down menu under the DVR-Recordings menu like where you select an external drive. That list should just populate with any Sling-enabled receivers on your local network and selecting one would bring up an index of programs stored on that receiver. Putting something in under the App menu doesn't make much sense and would probably confuse people.

I still don't really understand the point. Why would you want this? Is this the answer to multiroom DVR or would the intention be to use it to sling from another device (HTPC or something?)?

The reason slingplayer would be useful to me is because I have a couple HTPC's setup around the house and would like it where I do not have to sign into my dish account to watch tv.. Mainly for the kids. Do not want them in my dish account. With the slingplayer, you just start the app and it is up and running without logging into the dish account. I have a slingplayer that works ok with the 922 but not fully compatible. I would like one that is fully compatible.

I still don't really understand the point. Why would you want this? Is this the answer to multiroom DVR or would the intention be to use it to sling from another device (HTPC or something?)?

If you had more then one Sling-enabled receiver in your home it kinda would be like a multi-room DVR. Remember ReplayTV? Back when I lived at my folks place, we had two of them in the house each attached to a receiver. Content recorded on one box could be watched on the other box and vice versa. It was awesome, it was sort of a way to have multiple tuners. As long as one of the ReplayTVs recorded a show, they could be watched on either one. And we didn't have to go to a website to start it, it was just a drop down menu in the UI.

People seem to think that DISH should just abandon using Sling and do something more like what DirecTV does with their whole-home DVR, but really that same experience could be replicated with the Sling tech. They just need to throw some engineers at it to get it working. It really no different than DLNA streaming it's just not using an open standard.

Last edited:
I get it if that is what you were getting at. I'd actually prefer that they move to a real whole-home DVR with 5-6 satellite tuners, a huge hard drive and the ability to watch all programs and use any of the tuners (in HD) from any TV in the house. This would be better because you don't have to set separate recordings on different boxes and figure out which box to connect to in order to watch these recordings. I don't care how they do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts