922 loud fan and black screen

Count me in as one of the 922 owners with these symptoms too. My wife came home this afternoon to our 922 with no lights on and a loud fan noise. Three unplug / replug power boots and it seems to be running normal again... for about 10 minutes. Then is shut off with fan noise. A 4th reboot and it ran for more than an hour before shutting down again. Now, it won't run for more than 2 minutes before shutting down. PM'd MattG, and now I'm scheduled to replace my 922 and 211 with a 1 Hopper / 1 Joey installation on Saturday. The DIRT folks are awesome.

- Paul

yeah, i will do the same, i will buy a hopper and joey this weekend, i'm not going to replace the 922 again.

same thing happened to me last night. replacement 922 is being shipped. I can't give up my roommates receiver for the hopper/joey. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a hit to the receiver to "lock it up".

manteca said:
i removed the sat connections and all i get is an error about the hdd activation, did you disconnect the sat after it reboots and after it detected the sat signal and receive programming?

I don't remember exactly what my onscreen display said, or didn't say. I do remember it looking like it still might not work, but I pushed the menu button and was pleased to find that I could get to the media transfer menu. I believe I did put my receiver into standby once the transfer started, but I don't know if that was necessary, or me just being overly cautious.

I am a retailer. My showroom 922 did the same last week. This is the same one I have had since they came out. I have also switched it out to a hopper.

I am a retailer. My showroom 922 did the same last week. This is the same one I have had since they came out. I have also switched it out to a hopper.
I'm telling you, Dish is purposely sending out signals to 922 receivers to make them "shut down", so they can expedite the Hopper rollout. ;) :D

Has anyone looked at their box they used to be made in china now they are being made in India I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or maybe the other way around but the one they just replaced at my house was made in china and the new one in india.

Last edited:
Has anyone looked at their box they used to be made in china now they are being made in India I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or maybe the other way around but the one they just replaced at my house was made in china and the new one in india.

I just replaced my 922 and it was made in China,my remanufactured replacement was made in India.Since I own mine I will replace them under the Service Plan so they will stay"owned".

My old one was making a rattling/scratching noise like the HDD was going out when the CSR heard it(had the phone on speakerphone) she automatically said"we are changing that receiver out".

Last edited:
I woke up this morning and mine was doing the same. This is the first issue I've had with mine and I've had it since about a month after they came out. I'm contemplating going to a Hopper/Joey setup and I'm wondering what the additional costs are involved, right now I have a 922 on 1TV and a 622 with the 622's 1st TV out hooked 1TV and it's 2nd TV out split to 3TVs, so essentially 5TVs with 3 sharing 1 output. There are only three people in the family so all five will never be watched at the same time. However, short of sharing recordings between all TVs is the cost of the Hopper/Joey worth it? I can only get SD on 3 TVs but they really only secondary TVs and If we are going to watch something that we would want in HD we wouldn't watch on these anyway. Long question short, would I have to have 1 Hopper and 4 Joeys to accomplish what I'm am now? Which, if I understand correctly would cost $32 extra a month, $4 whole house fee and $7 each for 4 joeys or would I be better off replacing the 922 (if I can get one). Does the Hopper or Joey have a 2nd TV out so I could do something similar on my secondary TVs? With the times the way they are I'm not looking to increase any of my current bills. Thanks for any advice.

3rd replacement did not make it to finish the "vital information downloading" screen. Black screen and loud fan restarting every 30-60 sec. Installer put a new one in (5th 922) and at first it was non-responsive (did nothing but show channel 101). After an hour or so it started responding. Anyway the installer requested Dish to send a new one (that would be the 6th 922) because they were out of stock of 922's at their warehouse. By the way still no VOD available (channels 1 or 501 never show up).

Well, I suppose I've become the next victim of the BlSOD (Black Screen of Death) with a loud-fan chaser. Just in the middle of the Olypmics and zappo. It first happened 3 days ago and I wrote it off to random luck. I did no investigation or anything. Then yesterday, it went out again and now will only stay on a few minutes before it zaps out again. It really sounds like a thermal/power supply issue. Dish said I'd have a replacement in 4 or 5 days. I couldn't talk them into over-nighting a replacement so that kinda upset me given I've been a customer 10 years now. Luckily I have 2 622s that are working perfectly so at least I can go to my basement and watch TV. I figure it's not worth moving everything around when the new unit will be here by Sat/Mon. I've not been particularly impressed with the 922 and now that I've read this thread, I'm kinda wishing I asked for a 722 replacement unit. We'll see how my luck holds out with the new unit.

Well woke up this morning at 4:30 to find my 922 failed in its reboot from the overnite update and was making a loud noise. It was the fan...

As soon as the hopper has OTA. My 922 is going bye bye. The sling is nice, but what good is it when the thing doesnt work half of the time anymore...

I am on my fourth 922 in as many months. My latest one lasted a month, and just died again today. I tore up my cabinet checking for bad grounds or something, but I see I'm not the only one. W!T!F! DISH?????

dare2be said:
They want you to upgrade to the Hoppa :D

Which is why I have my 922 being replaced tomorrow with the hoppa. I have had 3 922's in 3 months. I hope to have better luck with the latest equipment that actually gets focus and support.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Just happened to me tonight... loud fan and black screen. Power cycled the 922 and it comes on for up to ten minutes, then happens all over again. Came here to see if anyone else had the issue. Can this really be a coincidence?

atomic22 said:
Just happened to me tonight... loud fan and black screen. Power cycled the 922 and it comes on for up to ten minutes, then happens all over again. Came here to see if anyone else had the issue. Can this really be a coincidence?

Likely time to look into replacement options. Either for a replacement 922 or another model all together.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)