942 and Slingbox

ksload

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
Eastern NC
I have the Dish 942 (in Dual TV Mode) and a Slingbox. I was trying to use the RCA out to connect to the Slingbox and I get no signal.

I need to be able to get signal at the 942 so I can control the RF Remote function. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

dodge said:
You need to hit the sd/hd button on the remote to enable the rca outputs and disable the hd outputs component and HDMi ooutputs.
Wrong. The 942 outputs both at the same time. There isnt even an HD/SD button on the 942. You must have another problem.

make sure all your cables are pushed in all the way, especially into the slingbox. I am using mine the same way except in single mode. Maybe you should try single mode first to try and get it running then switch it over

Paradox-SJ said:
For those that have there Slingbox up and running how do you like it? Would you recomed it?

I second that request, especially since prices are nearing $200 already.

Although I don't use it on a daily basis I think it is great. The main reason I got it was so that I could set up recordings from a remote location. I also record everything Notre Dame so quite often during lunchtime the guys I work with, my dad and brother, watch it remotely.

The only complaint I have is that my ISP is only 256 up and they won't let me increase that. Around the house the picture is incredible (runs directly across the network) but outside the quality is a little low

I use mine all the time. :)

Here is a tip for you if you are h aving remote control issues, take a digital camera and look at the IR blasters through the screen on your digital camera (A Cell phone camera works great for this too)

When the slingbox changes channels you will see the IR blasters flashing on the cameras screen.

if they are not flashing then they are no plugged in correctly. :)

ksload said:
I have the Dish 942 (in Dual TV Mode) and a Slingbox. I was trying to use the RCA out to connect to the Slingbox and I get no signal.

I need to be able to get signal at the 942 so I can control the RF Remote function. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have just gotten my sling box and from my understanding you can only control TV1 from the sling box as the TV2 options on the Dual tunner recievers like 942/625/522 can only be controled with the UHF remote and the slingbox only outputs IR signals.

While It does look very good at home I am not sure how it is going to look when I am out of town. I am usually gone for 1-3weeks at a time and it should be great to view my tv from home. I just hope that the picture quality is there for me at a 350kbps stream.

I hope this helps

The quality is surprisingly good.

When I first got my Slingbox I actually set it up so SatelliteGuys Members could connect to it and see what the video looked like. :)

Yes its true on a 942 the remote control is UHF only.

I use mine in single mode.

How do you have the 942 connected to the Slingbox?

Scott Greczkowski said:
The quality is surprisingly good.

When I first got my Slingbox I actually set it up so SatelliteGuys Members could connect to it and see what the video looked like. :)

Yes its true on a 942 the remote control is UHF only.

I use mine in single mode.

I have a 1500UP/1500Down connection. I want to use it with an 811, mainly because my 811 receiver is just a few feet from my desktop for ethernet connection. I didn't see the 811 listed on Slinbox website., but if it controls a 522, I guess it will also control an 811?

Paradox-SJ said:
For those that have there Slingbox up and running how do you like it? Would you recomed it?
I definitely recommend it! Works as advertised and it's a one-time cost, no monthly fees. I mainly use it to setup recordings and monitor the 942 from work, since the 942 needs a lot of babysitting. My 942 is always in single mode.

256 Kbps is the minimum upstream bandwidth and is sufficient for remotely controlling the box. If you plan to do a lot of remote viewing, then you may want to look into higher upstream capacity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts