942 Degrading OTA HD signal ?

smokejoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I recently connected hdmi cable from 942 to hd monitor in office. The monitor previously received only OTA signal from Humax HDTV receiver fed directly from antenna.
The OTA HD picture from/thru 942 appears significantly worse (less contrast, less vibrant) than it was when it came from Humax.
Could 942 degrade, downrez HDTV signal from my antenna?

I don't think this is the case. Everything I've read says that the 942 records the signal exactly as received and displays it exactly as received.

Different PQ from different receivers?

Confirmed HDTV setting is set to 720p. Tried 1080i.
OTA PQ on either setting, while noticably better than SD, appears more fuzzy and dull than previous non-942 receiver.
Adjusting monitor brightness, contrast etc. doesn't help.
Can one receiver produce better PQ than another on the same monitor??

I have the same problem with my Dish 811 when connected via DVI. Washed out and less vibrant. Component looks great. Same thing on my 921. I always assumed it was the DVI input calibration on my Sony LCD but I guess it could be the receiver. Try connecting the 942 with component video one time and see if it's different.

Last edited:
I have a 811, and the OTA picture qaulity, while still great looking, is not as good as when I had a different HD tuner box.

MY guess is that the 811, and probably some of Dish's other HD recievers, don't have a very good OTA HD tuner.

RobertsD said:
I have a 811, and the OTA picture qaulity, while still great looking, is not as good as when I had a different HD tuner box.

MY guess is that the 811, and probably some of Dish's other HD recievers, don't have a very good OTA HD tuner.

We have a Panasonic TH-37PX50U driven by a 942 in our MBR.

We see absolutely no difference in picture quality between the TV's Tuner and the 942's OTA Tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)