942 DVR and OTA Guide Q/A

Sean Mota said:
You would think that something like this will not merit a complaint and get fixed right away since they are charging money for it.
They're charging you twice, actually. First, there's the DVR fee. But, also the fee for local channels in order to get the local guide info that enables you to use the unit's full DVR functionality. Pretty slimy.

Will I every see digital OTA program listings?

My problem is.....

All of my digital OTA stations that I can receive are outside of my DMA. I cannot receive any OTA digital stations in my DMA due to hills between myself and the transmitters. I am located right on the DMA boundry lines however my zip code puts me in the DMA that I cannot recieve any OTA digital stations. Worse yet, I goto work in the non-DMA city. So when Dish offers me LiL's for my DMA, I ask them why would I want to know traffic reports and local news for a city I don't work in?

Even if I was to subscribe to LiL's would I get any guide information for the OTA digital stations I receive outside of my DMA?

I however receive OTA digital program listings for these stations out of my DMA on my 811.

TALK ABOUT A BIG STEP BACKWARDS.

942, 811 guide problem here:

I live in Milwaukee market, but can get OTA from Chicago just fine. I get guide data for Chicago ABC, FOX, PBS and some other I don't care channels. But there is no guide for WGN Chicago OTA.
Also no guide for Milwaukee PBS HD signal (36.1) and all SD subchannels (10.1 - 10.7).

I'm looking forward to the OTA guide implimentation on the upcoming SBC Dish HomeZone receiver. (IF it is ever released, of course.) I believe it will get its EPG info from an SBC feed via DSL, as opposed to (or in addition to) the satellite-provided Dish guide.
I would imagine it will be more accurate in regard to local channel information. I also do not think they will charge extra for it, other than the total HomeZone package pricing for DSL and Dish, if any. (It may not cost any more than the sum of DSL and Dish, and might even have a package discount.)

Ok the installer was out today to check over my installation of the 942. Since I have a superdish and a 61.5 dish for VOOM he decided I needed a DPP44 switch and installed one. Also I ordered my locals and lo-and-behold my OTA digital channels (outside my DMA)now have program guide information. And it is the correct guide information for the channels (I check to see what the guide displayed when the local news is broadcast.

I would hate to get LiL's just to have the ability to display OTA guide info but at least in my case the LiL's are all different channels than my OTA stations. I cannot receive any of my DMA locals OTA due to terrian problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts