942 Error code 0551

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
I got this error code which also said that the hard disk crashed and was fatal. Just watch for it. DISH is sending a new replacement. Scott said that he had not heard or scene this code before but it cleaerly shows up everytime I turn on the 942. Still can view and change programming. Just can't do any recording.

I had the same 0551 error code after having my 942 for less than one week. I believe the exact wording was "a serious problem with the hard drive." DISH sent out a new one pretty quickly. Couldn't figure out why the drive failed. Both soft and hard reboots were fruitless. The receiver had pretty good ventilation, but seemed to run very hot. We also wondered about its proximity to my center channel speaker [magnetism etc] but couldn't really determine the cause of the failure. I never used it for recording, but that function did work on initial setup. My new 942, which I've now had for 2 days, is much more noisy and for some reason I think the PQ was a little better on the first one.

E* did kindly offer to prorate my monthly charges because the receiver "doesn't work like its supposed to" even though the loss of the ability to view programming was never an issue.

While the Dish Network support center does not list that code I am told the problem is a hard drive controller failure.

Wonder if your units are from the same lot.

Scott Greczkowski said:
While the Dish Network support center does not list that code I am told the problem is a hard drive controller failure.

Wonder if your units are from the same lot.
Grumpy1 is exactly right. I don't know if they are form the same lot but they are made in China. I worry about that. I should also point out that like Grumpy1. My 942 also ran very hot and even had the tempurature warning message. However, I raised it up on 1/4 inch spackers and it ran much cooler. I also had it it in the open an not near any other equipment. So perhaps there is a connection .

Just wondered can an external hard drive be added to the 942 to increase storage space now or do we have to wait for DISH to make it available? If so what would work with the USB port?

Add me to the list... My 942 failed this morning with a 0551 error code. It was working great last night. I've had it a little over a month now. Advanced tech is supposed to get back to me with an RMA within the next 48 hours. In the meantime, and until I get a replacement, no DVR ("live" tv works fine though).

Just got my replacement which works. However, the replacement came with a dent in the case near the left rear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)