942 owner

Neo2006

Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I purchased my 942 in August 05, does anyone know if dish is going to help owners like myself on the new HD receivers now that this one is outdated? Any plan at all?

If you wait until April you can upgrade to the 622 for $99 (299 minus a 200 rebate)

You'll basically get the same offer as a new sub at first: upgrading to a 622 (the new MPeg4 DVR) for $299 (for a LEASE). If you wait for April 1 then you'll qualify for a $200 rebate for the upgrade (the same as any existing customer leasing a DVR).

I've seen mixed comments on this board as to whether or not you'd have to give up your owned 942 in order to get the deal.

You won't lose any functionality by staying with your current equipment, you just can't access the newly uplinked HD channels. Still not great news for someone like you who has spent $700 on purchasing a new receiver.

Of course, some people have been saying they intend to float along with their 942 and the existing HD pack until HD-LiL is available in their area on Mpeg4.

CDH.

:welcome

HD-LIL (local-in-local) Basically your local TV channels in HD. ABC NBC etc.
And I am one of those 942 owners that's going to wait for HD, or the end of the $200 rebate, whichever comes first.
Unless i decide to go to cable, once we can really see the outcome of these recent price and technology changes. :p

Many thanks for your reply. I for one will not make the same mistake a second time, I will not be purchasing a 622, but will consider a lease after April Fools Day.

Any idea if I can use my 942 at the same time as a new 622, to increase my storage of MPEG 2 material.

I'll be willing to deal with someone on their old decrepid 942 if'n they need an outlet for it ...

That way I can use the Pocket Dish I was gonna acquire for my wifes Christmas present ...

Ted...

Neo2006 said:
Many thanks for your reply. I for one will not make the same mistake a second time, I will not be purchasing a 622, but will consider a lease after April Fools Day.

Any idea if I can use my 942 at the same time as a new 622, to increase my storage of MPEG 2 material.

Not sure i fully understand. Yes you can use both. It would be an extra receiver obviously, so you would need to tell dish to activate it, then you would pay for another receiver etc.

What I meant was .... I probably won't be able to sell the outdated 942 to anybody for anywhere near what I paid ( gasp!) so If I now rent / lease a 622 to get the MPEG 4 HD content, I will have both and would at least like to use both, the 622 for MPEG 4 content and the 942 for MPEG 2 content (for as long as it lasts). :eek:

gbjbany said:
then under the current deal yes you can use both, exactly as you suggest, that is execly what i am going to do.

I hope it turns out you are correct. I've played back Mr. Ergen's comments/questions a few times and "Jim" (I think) repeatedly obfuscates the answers so badly as to be of little help. :mad:

I spoke with a rep from ceo@echostar.com on another matter last week and she indicated to me that the upgrade was just that - an upgrade of HD Receivers or HD DVR's to the MPEG4 machines.

I am not trying to argue, just want to identify a different take on what was said on the Charlie Chat.

Also own a 942 and plan to keep it. May buy a 622 if I can keep the same package I have now which is the HD pak with Voom originals about $15 per month with $5 access and $5 dvr fee about $25 monthly total.
My question is would I have to pay another $5 dvr fee in addition to the additional outlet fee and will they let me activate the new receiver with the original package?
This would keep my total monthly cost under $40 per month.

SaltiDawg said:
I am not trying to argue, just want to identify a different take on what was said on the Charlie Chat.

No worries :) I too am fed up with second quessing, interpreting, them, so im just going to wait and see. i will upgrade the cheapest way i can, if i even decide to upgrade, HD locals is the only real reason i would upgrade , or starz HD if it comes along.

I was interested in getting HD on Dish Network, so early in January 2006, I looked on the Dish website where a Dish 942 was advertised. There was no mention of Mpeg4.The 942 was the only option. I found one for $600 on ebay and called Dish Network about it before I ordered. They assured me they could install it and that there would be additional HD channels available soon. So I ordered it and had it installed early this month for a $99 installation fee. NOW I find that if I want the new HD channels that are being offered, I will need a new receiver. To get an "upgrade deal" from Dish, I would have to give them my purchased 942 and would be able to lease a 622 from them for $99initial installation and an additional $20/month for the new programming. This "deal" would be available in April. If I want to keep my purchased 942, I would have to pay them $299 for the upgrade. I find this VERY unacceptable, especially since Dish did not inform me that I would need a new receiver to be able to get additional HD channels. I would lose the $600 receiver that I purchased and be leasing, not owning, the new receiver.

:welcome Sheila unfortunate that you didn't find this site just a little earlier :( , but you are right . Unfortunately the people you spoke on the phone to, the CSR's, are as about in the dark as you are. Their Mgmt chose not to tell them what was going on. Even today they dont know much more than us, in fact, people on here know more than most of the csr's
I suggest sending an Email to ceo@echostar.com stating how you feel they have been unethical in getting people to take the service to charge them again for the new receiver, stating the timing you have here. They do read this email address and let us know if you get a response

Good luck

Last edited:
I emailed yesterday with my questions and got a call today. What I was told was that you could only have 1 upgrade or offer in a 12 month period. If you do the 211/411 for $49 now you will not be eligible to do the 622 in April. I asked if I upgraded could I keep my 921 in addition to the 622 and he said yes BUT then he also told me dish expected a dual tuner dvr returned in exchange for the 622 lease deal. It made no sense. When I asked about people who had very recently bought or leased the 942 and paid $250 and if they would get any special consideration he said that was what the $99 after rebate deal was supposed to take care of.
When I asked about upgrading more than one he also referred me to dishdepot and told me they were giving trade in offers on your other receivers. I dont know if that is true or not.