942 Upgrade Offer - POS

Brewer4 said:
I just dont get why folks want to own versus lease. You dont pay any monthly lease fees, just an upfront cost. If you quit Dish what are you gonna do? I know you can sell the receivers but your telling me its better to own something for 2 years, have it depreciate and lose value and sell the thing for a quarter of the price? I just dont get it.

Well if you own the equipment and they are asking you to give something YOU own for the right to lease one that BS in my book. I gave up on dish last week and happy I did so. I already sold my 811 and almost was enough to pay an entire years cable programming at the promotional price they offered me.

If I were still with E* I would be mighty pissed if they asked me for MY 811 to be able to lease a 211 which seems like a crappy version of an 811 considering it doesn't even have a UHF remote. All it seems to have over the 811 is MPEG4 otherwise its akin to a 311.

If I had a 942 that I purchased 6 months ago for $699, and the upgrade offer was $99 to swap it out for a leased 622, I would be PO'ed. Even a completely free swap out for a leased DVR would be a ripoff.

This is giving no credit whatsoever to the 942 purchasers. Someone who leased a 942, like me, is getting the same deal. So I end up paying $449 less.

This is not taking care of your customer base. They should at least allow a $300 trade-in credit toward the purchase of a 622.

Sorry, but where in the Charlie Chat did they say you had to hand over your owned 942 for the upgrade lease of the 622? I really payed attention, didn't hear that.

I have owned my 942 for about 6 months - a few problems, but getting the 622 for $99 is a no-brainer. I really can't understand the whining. How is this really diferent than buying any other piece of hardware - from audio recievers to cars or even software? You buy somethng becuase you want the features now; a newer model/version is introduced, it has even nicer features. Why do people expect a free upgrade?? Doesn't happen with other goods. Sure wish someone would "upgrade" my Hitachi HD Monitor with DMI...

Just my two cents. I'll be on the phone near Apr 1 asking for the upgrade and be happy knowing I have the best selection of HD available at the time. But, I bet something else will appear in the future and then we go around again...

Brian

Tom Bombadil said:
If I had a 942 that I purchased 6 months ago for $699, and the upgrade offer was $99 to swap it out for a leased 622, I would be PO'ed. Even a completely free swap out for a leased DVR would be a ripoff.

This is giving no credit whatsoever to the 942 purchasers. Someone who leased a 942, like me, is getting the same deal. So I end up paying $449 less.

This is not taking care of your customer base. They should at least allow a $300 trade-in credit toward the purchase of a 622.

I bought my 942 less than a month ago, so yes, I am peeved. Especially when I was led to believe it would be upgradeable hardware and I was refused the opportunity to lease it in the first place.

So I can drop another 300 (after just spending 798) and wait three months for a 200 rebate??? I'm waiting to see if the new lease requires the return of my purchased box. I don't see how that can be unless they want to refund me the purchase price.

Of course now I'm having some technical problems with it anyhow, so maybe I need to return it and insist on a 622 replacement (like that's going to happen!)...

I'm glad there's not that much in the new HD channels I'm that anxious for. I think I'll wait for the unnamed additional national HD channels to come online before I upgrade boxes (unless they make me a fair deal).

Oh well... I priced out Comcast cable today and for equivalent service, it would still cost me more than E*.......

Here's a screen cap that mentions the swap out at the bottom.

attachment.php

If they want an 811 as a swap out I imagine they may want the 921/942s back but I can't be 100% sure. But I would guess it may be something accross the board or you will have all the 811 owners crying foul.

Dogday, did you tell them you had E*? I got a 39.99/month deal for one year for the platinum package with HBO/cinemax, an HD DVR and a second regular receiver. This was w/ comcast btw.

Last edited:
I did not see mention of needing to return the 942. I suppose since we bought it, we can keep it. They had ample chance to mention that during the segment outlining the Upgrade Program.

Even if they let you keep the 942, that's not a real good deal for many people. A lot of people wouldn't need a $700 942 lying around. People could sell them on eBay as a real nice SD DVR that has some HD capabilities (for a while) and can do OTA HD.

It is true that they didn't require a swap out on past lease offers. So that is a good point to raise.

Gary Murrell said:
Charlie doesn't have a clue, who wants to upgrade to HD-Lite and have to pay those prices
notice the guy that called in with the 6000 is totally screwed, having to pay 300$ for having owned the most over priced piece of trash hardare ever released and he still has it
boy I remember paying 600$ each for my 2 6000's
-Gary

My 6000 has been very stable all these years. And I can upgrade to a 211 for only $49. That is fair.

They want to enslave us with this. There is no benefit to upgrading this way as far as I can see. Instead, it appears to be a trick. The 921 was only purchased, it was never leased. The 942 was leased to only new customers, and a few existing customers that were a "squeaky wheel". I have no idea what proportion of 942s were bought vs. leased. The benefits of buying were no need to subscribe to AT60-AEP, or the ability to sell that old receiver when the new one comes out. Now, it appers they want to force the people that paid good money for their receivers to lease the new one, and force them to spend $34.99/mo on compresed SD programming that is very painful to watch on an HDTV.

What does it cost to buy a 622?

If I understand what was said correctly, ANYONE can lease the 622 for $300. Existing 921/942 users can get the $200 rebate, so their upgrade price is $99. What is confusing is that there are some 942 owners that leased their box. All 921 owners paid for their DVR, but not all 942 owners. Does this $200 upgrade work for leased customers too? Somehow I don't think so. Then the question we should all ask is, "is your purchased 921/942 worth $200"? Do you get to keep it, or do you have to send it in? If you can get the $200 rebate, and then sell that machine, it might be worth it to some.

Would echostar allow that though? It would allow someone to buy a used 921/942, get the $200 rebate to upgrade to a 622, then sell it to someone else. They might be able to track some serial numbers or something, but it might be difficult logistically.

The bottom line is that E* is in the business of making money. The deal they made is vague, but there is no doubt that they will make money doing it. Leases are a tool of convenience, and in many cases the customer is charged for that convenience.

rdinkel said:
My 6000 has been very stable all these years. And I can upgrade to a 211 for only $49. That is fair.
Anyone can upgrade to a 211 for $49, only they are leasing the machine and so are you.

They are just using the word "upgrade" as a marketing tool to make you think you are getting a deal. In reality, it is just a lease offered to everyone. New customers can upgrade to the 211 from the SD receiver option.

This sucks for those that paid out all of this money for their receiver just to have to pay out even more money and not keep their orignial hardware in which they have a lot of money invested in. Dish Network probably figured that a lot of consumers would sell these receivers to get a lot of the money to buy the new receivers. Boy am I glad I never bought one of those expensive HD DVR's.

:confused: Just a quick question....for those of us who already have a 942 (along with TWO dish antennas....a superdish and a smaller dish pointing at the HD satellite), which of these two antennas will they replace/upgrade when they come out to install the 622? Didn't they say you'd need a new antenna for MPEG4?

spudmancbr954rr said:
which of these two antennas will they replace/upgrade when they come out to install the 622?

Their installing the Dish 1000's so unless on of you antenna's points to a sat that the Dish 1000 can't receive, I assume they'll replace both.

Brewer4 said:
I just dont get why folks want to own versus lease. You dont pay any monthly lease fees, just an upfront cost. If you quit Dish what are you gonna do? I know you can sell the receivers but your telling me its better to own something for 2 years, have it depreciate and lose value and sell the thing for a quarter of the price? I just dont get it.
In my case, I had to purchase a 942 because Dish would not let me lease a 2nd one. Does anyone know if they will let you lease more than one 622?

That is one thing that many may be overlooking, that they are getting the DIsh1000 out of it as well, but what about those that cannot receive from 129? Are they SOL?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)