942 When set DVR record once records every program

calikarim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Please help, when i set my 942 tv 1 to record a program on dvr and select once, i just want to record that program once, it will record every program with that name for the whole week and continuing into next few weeks. How do i avoid this, i am going crazy. The other choices daily, weekly are out, i just want to record the program say smart travels belgium in one time slot , and that;s it. How do i do it. Do i select once, or what

You aren't using dish pass are you? I get all kinds of shows if I select a dish pass. If i hit once it hits just once on a regular timer. Dish passes will clog your receiver with recordings just like Tivo suggestions does on Tivo recorders. I don't use them for much to avoid this . Maybe you should delete the timer and try again. Also you can restrict the timer to one channel too, under options. If that doesn't work then reboot it too and see if that helps. All else fails call Dish and speak to a tech, not a csr.

calikarim said:
Please help, when i set my 942 tv 1 to record a program on dvr and select once, i just want to record that program once, it will record every program with that name for the whole week and continuing into next few weeks. How do i avoid this, i am going crazy. The other choices daily, weekly are out, i just want to record the program say smart travels belgium in one time slot , and that;s it. How do i do it. Do i select once, or what
Weird. I don't have any problem when I select "once". It does exactly what you want to do.

I've noticed odd behavior when recording also. Non-Dish Pass shows will get skipped, Dish Pass shows will record numerous times, Search will stop working and give error message. I'm reseting the receiver now to see if it helps.

I'm not totally clear on this either but I know I selected to record TNTHD's "Into the West" mini series which runs one new episode each weekend for 6 weeks.

It starts Friday with a new episode and then repeats that same episode on Sat & Sun nights but the 942 just records the one on Friday and then shows the repeats with a different symbol, which I believe means "skipped".

In other words, even though it's seeing those repeat episodes, it somehow recognizes them as such and skips over them, recording only the new ones.
I'm not sure how I set it up though:no but I think it's doing just what it's supposed to do.

Thanks

Thanks guys for all the advice, i am going to follow all your suggestions. My DVR is getting full and i can't waste space. I am hoping for external memory solutions so we can store our programming. Will post results of efforts, thanks

Dish Pass

How does a show become a Dish Pass Show. If we select once, are those the shows that keep getting recorded and fill up hard drive. I record show and select once and it reords several times during and week and again several times in the coming weeks. Very annoying.

On the 942's dvr timer screen you have an option on the right side of the screen to select Dish Pass. If you select this and set it up on the Dish Pass screen it will record everything that you've told it to. I'm a big Nascar junkie so I did this. I went into Dish Pass and typed in Nascar Racing and slected it to search all event info (this sets up much like a search if you are familiar with doing a search). Now It automatically records all Nascar Racing.

As far as the Tnt mini series Into the West I set up a timer to record new episodes only. It uses the program info to determine weather or not it is a repeat. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I also discovered that it will skip any time if you lose signal while recording. If there are a few minutes of signal loss, it will stop recording and start back up as soon as signal is back. Therefore you don't have to watch or skip through the aquiring signal screen. I thought this feature to be very very cool. I'm so glad to have invested in this receiver. I am an installer and I just think this to be the neatest toy I've seen yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts