97W and 125W using 2 dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

central1ny

Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
central ny
For a few years, I have been using an old primestar superdish to receive FTA channels on 97W with a SV-360 elite receiver. Well the receiver died about 6 months ago and I have been dragging my feet on upgrading but am ready to upgrade at this point. I am considering getting the package deal from glorystar which comes with a 36" dish, LNB, and HDVR1200 receiver.

What I would like to do is continue to use my old primestar dish and re-aim to pickup PBS channels on 125W. I will then use the new golorystar dish to receive the 97W channels. I will use a 4x1 DiSEqC switch to combine to two dishes into the receiver. I realize that I don't need a 4x1 switch but have one laying around so this is what I will use. I verified with glorystar that the HDVR1200 receiver has two operating modes. The main operating mode has the preprogrammed glory star channels and this can't be manually changed. The other operating mode allows for full FTA programming so I will be able to scan for non 97W channels. I also verified with glorystar that the HDVR1200 receiver has AC3 decoding for the PBS channels on 125W.

So with all that said, am I overlooking something or should the setup as described work for what I am looking to do? The primestar dish works ok for FTA but is a little difficult to aim. Also, is it possible/better to use the 36" with multiple LNBs to pickup 97W and 125W with a special bracket or are the satellites spaced too far apart?

Two dedicated dishes is the best way IMHO. Don't think you'll have diseqc switching available if in the glorystar mode, but I could be wrong, but manually scanning desired transponders on 97w in the FTA mode and 125W would be a work around. Program your 'favorites list' with desired channels and you'd be 'set'.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=92886&d=1385240196
BTW: how wide is the primestar dish? I ask because I find the 30 inch doesn't work that well if at all on 125W. The 84e does just fine.

In my location 97w has much better signal strenght. 125w especially Montana PBS is much weaker. I would use the 36" for 125w and the old dish on 97w.
The other option is a motor with the 36".

The dish measures 20 3/4" H x 35 3/4" W. I was mistaken as I don't think it is a primestar dish. It is a Dish Network SuperDISH.

Don't think you'll have diseqc switching available if in the glorystar mode, but I could be wrong,
correct. Glorystar mode is set up with just the G* channels and 22k set to ON (from back in the day when G* had both 101 & 97....101 was 0k and 97W is 22k). You have no access to the install menus nor the channel editing area. Best to use the FTA mode

(the advantage of the G* mode is its plug and play which is good for folks who arent technology inclined) ;)

Actually this changed on the HDVR1200.

The Glorystar mode allows the user to change any settings including custom channels, switches, LNB LO, motors, etc. The channel updates only update the Glorystar channels.

39" w/ Sp1PLL lnb here. 97w and 125w works great so far.. granted there was alot of fine tuning involved but having a quality LNB made a big difference. Main PBS trans (create ect) comes in at 70%.. OETA/Montana's at 40% but a very solid picture

Team,

Give me a suggestion. Should SatelliteAV offer following packages?

One MicroHD or HDVR1200 with two GEOSATpro 90cm Dishes and SL1PLL lnbfs = 299 + ship

Or for two rooms,

Two MicroHD or HDVR1200 receivers with two GEOSATpro 90cm Dishes and SL2PLL LNBFs = 399 + ship

What would make this package a value deal? Would you consider buying it if you were just starting out?

Thank you in advance,

Eugene

What exactly is the differences between the MIcroHD and the 1200? (besides size and that the 1200 has Glorystar updating)

Status
Please reply by conversation.