$98.87 HD DVD Players How Many Of You Took Advantage Of This Deal?

How Many Of You Bought the $98.87 HD DVD Player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bought 2 this morning. 1 for me, 1 for Xmas gift. Going back after work for a movie or two.:D

Well, I might have to switch DISHHD to component but I'd rather not because the Picture Quality is already bad enough.:eek:
Chances are Dish PQ will be better over component than over HDMI. Despite the hype, HDMI is no guarantee of better PQ than component. They are both equally capable, it depends on the specific equipment you have as to which method will be better PQ than the other, or no difference at all (most typical situation). Many Dish subscribers report better PQ over component than over HDMI. So far I've only used HDMI out of my 722 Dish DVR, but someday I'll get around to trying component to see if I get better PQ.

HDMI was not designed to supercede the PQ available via component, only to digitize it so they could add HDCP copy protection to it, and also send audio/video via a single cable. HDMI folks often claim superior PQ, but that's all it is, a claim. Real world testing does not necessarily support the claim.

I already have 1 from each gen, so I wasn't really interested. I just wanted to see how they were doing. My Walmart was completely sold out by 8:10. This is good news.

S~

C'mon Joe and Navy. We know you want one :D Elway broke down.

A lot of people are reporting that the 622 has better quality from the component outputs anyway.

I think it depends on the TV. I have tried mine both ways and it looks better with HDMI on my Sony 3LCD 46" HDTV. I use component on an Olevia 32" with a 211 box and that looks good too. I have heard of people having issues with their television's HDMI input and the 622 too, but I am fortunately not one of them.

C'mon Joe and Navy. We know you want one :D Elway broke down.

As did I, not that I have the same status around here as Joe, Navy or Elway... but I have been a pretty staunch Blu-guy until now... I guess now I'm purple.

So tell me, if I can only get away with buying one movie to try it out (for today, anyway), which one should I buy?

Bought 1 and a couple of non-disc. DVDs at about 1:30 PM. I have no idea how many they had at the start, or had left at that point. I saw one guy leaving the store with one as I entered which gave me hope, but I could not find them anywhere on display, piled-up, end of aisle, etc. Then I saw a lady in line at the electronics dept. register with 1 in her cart, so I asked her. She said you had to ask for them, and she was in line to buy another (?!?). So I got in line after her. They allowed her to buy a second no questions asked, and had at least 1 more for me, but I didn't see any pile of them anywhere.

I couldn't find the discounted titles either, so I grabbed a couple off the regular rack, 1 @ $19 and 1 @ $25. (I'll kick myself for that later!) I also grabbed a copy of the new Eagles CD and saw there were only a couple of those left as well. Perhaps there was more of everything in the back.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the A2 only outputs 720p and 1080i, but for $100 you can't expect everything, I guess! It was a definite impulse buy for me inspired by the "fever" I saw in these threads, but at $100 not much of an investment in case I get "buyer's remorse" later...!

If your TV deinterlaces properly, you won't tell the difference. DFergie is right, all of those are excellent titles. It really depends on the types of movies you like. Transformers was outstanding. Both Bournes were great also.

S~

I tried, but Walmart sold out in 20 minutes. I was probably #25 in line of 50+. They got around 30, but people were buying more than one.

Oh well. Still picked up some movies $15 ea. Nobody was buying the movies, and they had a huge center display of them.

I checked near me and they weere all sold out. Called my dad in Mcallen TX and he got the last one for me from Walmart near him. I was going to have him ship it but my Mom said no it just became my Christmas present.:D

I was lucky to get one at my Walmart only seven there. I would of bought two but I didn't think that would be fair to other people in line.

I was lucky to get one at my Walmart only seven there. I would of bought two but I didn't think that would be fair to other people in line.

You are a better man than me if you can stand in a Walmart and look around you at all the "dirtbag" regulars and actually feel compassion and consideration for them. To hell with them if they don't get their unit... most of them would take two if they wanted two, had the money, and got to it first. You should have grabbed your two and said "screw 'em" Tell them to meet you in the parking lot and you'll take $150 cash if they want your extra unit.

Walmart patrons are some of the rudest bastards when it comes to shopping I have ever seen. Most deserve to have it thrown back at them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)