Did you buy Toshiba's $98 deal?

Why did you purchase Toshiba's HD-DVD deal?

• First time buyer of a HD format player.

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Already own one HD-DVD player and I wanted more.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Already own a BluRay player and wanted a HD-DVD player.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I wanted the player to upconvert DVD movies primarily.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purchased the player as a gift.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
My poll is to determine what the primary reason was for the HD-DVD purchase besides the obvious -- a great price.

I have been sitting out the format war. However, the $99 price point was too good to pass up. Even if HD DVD succombs to Blue Ray, I will have a nice upconverting player.

I have been sitting out the format war. However, the $99 price point was too good to pass up. Even if HD DVD succombs to Blue Ray, I will have a nice upconverting player.

Ditto... my buddy and I did the same today.
-Mike

First time HD format buyer, but justified this mid-war purchase as buying an SD DVD upconverter. Secretly wanting an HD player now, before the war is over, but rationalizing this decision by telling myself "Don't consider it anything more than a upconverter, and you won't be disappointed later."

It's logic that worked for me. It's funny how logic seems more logical at $98! Price really does make a difference. Too rich people too. Nobody gets rich by burning their money needlessly.

Now that I have an HDDVD player, of course my bias will probably move more and more towards rooting for HDDVD to win. I think I had a slight leaning that way before, it's amplified now. But not to the fanboy state. I am really waiting to see the BluRay response to this HDDVD pricing. If they do respond, it will be great for all of us. If they don't, realistically they'd be pushing people like me further and further away from considering them in the future.

I spread the word of the sale around the office and we bought out the remaining stock of 12 players. All were first time purchasers of any sort of HD content player. Everyone’s’ primary rationalization for making the purchase was at the least the A2 would make a good up-converting player, if the HD-DVD format ultimately falters.

Same here, my co-worker and I did the same yesterday. My co-worker almost bought a Toshiba HD player about a 1-1/2 ago for $500 when he bought his plasma TV. I told him about the format war and showed him this site to keep informed. Yesterday, his patience paid off.:)

Question is.... Did you Joe?

S~

Unfortunately not. I was taking my grandson back home to GA from NC and did not get close to a Walmart. I had the cash and believe it or not I intended to pick one up but just did not have the time.

Here in GA I went into Frye's and picked up a Polk Audio CSi5 center speaker to go with my RTi12's and LX surrounds. That will have to console me until the next deal.

Unfortunately not. I was taking my grandson back home to GA from NC and did not get close to a Walmart. I had the cash and believe it or not I intended to pick one up but just did not have the time.

Here in GA I went into Frye's and picked up a Polk Audio CSi5 center speaker to go with my RTi12's and LX surrounds. That will have to console me until the next deal.

More will be coming soon.

S~

I got mine as a replacement to a defective A1 which is being returned (purchased extended warranty... it's nice I'm getting $249 back for an A1 and purchased an A2 for $98 :) )

Owned a BD for awhile and was a very strong supporter, Paramount broke my heart.

Was waiting till Jan but $137 for a player and movie could not be missed.

Grandson? Wow, I had you figured completely wrong... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)