99s and 103s with HR23 and SW3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scubabri

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Hemet, CA
I'm having a bit of a problem, and I'm not sure why.

My zip code is 96001, I'm getting all sats but 99s and 103s, which I understand are the spot sats for local programming, which I'm not getting (except one channel). The locals are not showing up in the guide.

I'm pretty sure the dish is plumb (i'm on a tripod, and I'm using a bubble level and also a angle gauge from home depot.

It appears that I am getting everything else that I have subscribed to and care about.

I have an Acutrak 22 MkII, but it I'm not quite sure how I should hook it up.

Can anyone assist me? DirecTv wants 50 bux to send someone out, which i think is a crock.

Does your configuration allow you to see 119? Most of your locals are on 119, with the exception of KIXE which is on 101.

The HD locals are on 99 and 103, but unfortunately DirecTV doesn't offer them in your area yet.

First of all, $50 is a fair price to come to your house and work on your satellite to get it up and going properly...You could run you a Craigslist ad in your part of the world and see if you get can a satellite tech in your area for less. I am an independant and you kind of hurt my feelings. If someone calls me to work on their satellite , my service call would be $75, but then again, I know what I am doing..For that $50 from DirecTv you may or may not get someone who can fix it...What would you think would be a fair price to get in your vehicle and drive , oh say 25 miles spend an hour on your service call using his own material if any was utilized...I am just curious what would be a "fair" price..

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
First of all, $50 is a fair price to come to your house and work on your satellite to get it up and going properly...You could run you a Craigslist ad in your part of the world and see if you get can a satellite tech in your area for less. I am an independant and you kind of hurt my feelings. If someone calls me to work on their satellite , my service call would be $75, but then again, I know what I am doing..For that $50 from DirecTv you may or may not get someone who can fix it...What would you think would be a fair price to get in your vehicle and drive , oh say 25 miles spend an hour on your service call using his own material if any was utilized...I am just curious what would be a "fair" price..
A fair price to receive ALL of the programming I am paying for every month would be FREE.

I am sorry but even the phone company owns up to the responsibility of getting the service to the outside of your house. The OP doesn't go into detail of whats wrong, but if DTV set it up in the first place they should ensure that he is getting signal.
I am not saying techs should work for free, I am saying DTV should provide up keep on their installs. If the system is working fine & then goes down it should be DTV's dime. If a customer knocks the dish off of the roof, their dime. If the signal is weak, DTVs dime. If koolaid gets spilled into the DVR, the customers dime.

I'm having a bit of a problem, and I'm not sure why.

My zip code is 96001, I'm getting all sats but 99s and 103s, which I understand are the spot sats for local programming, which I'm not getting (except one channel). The locals are not showing up in the guide.

I'm pretty sure the dish is plumb (i'm on a tripod, and I'm using a bubble level and also a angle gauge from home depot.

It appears that I am getting everything else that I have subscribed to and care about.

I have an Acutrak 22 MkII, but it I'm not quite sure how I should hook it up.

Can anyone assist me? DirecTv wants 50 bux to send someone out, which i think is a crock.

Are you looking at "all channels" or a custom channels list?
Exactly what sats do you HAVE signal on?
Are you looking for SD or HD locals?
What type of dish configuration are you set up for, does it match the LNB you actually have?
Were you originally installed by DTV?
Did you have the channels before & now they are missing or were they never there at all?

Does your configuration allow you to see 119? Most of your locals are on 119, with the exception of KIXE which is on 101.

The HD locals are on 99 and 103, but unfortunately DirecTV doesn't offer them in your area yet.

Ok, then, that would explain it, and no, cant see 119. The tech that I talked to on the phone thought that I should get all the locals listed in the channel lineup.

How do I get 119 for the SD channels?

As far as the $50 service charge, it was not my intent to insult or hurt the feelings of any installers here. I am of the opinion that part of the monthly fee that I pay should include getting all the service I am paying for.

I suspected that I was going to pay a $50 fee and the tech would come out and tell me that the problem was not with my setup or alignment.

Ok, then, that would explain it, and no, cant see 119. The tech that I talked to on the phone thought that I should get all the locals listed in the channel lineup.

How do I get 119 for the SD channels?

As far as the $50 service charge, it was not my intent to insult or hurt the feelings of any installers here. I am of the opinion that part of the monthly fee that I pay should include getting all the service I am paying for.

I suspected that I was going to pay a $50 fee and the tech would come out and tell me that the problem was not with my setup or alignment.

IF you have the Protection Plan, D* does come out and service your set up, inside and out.

Same as the phone company, have the Maintenance plan and all is covered (except for the phone itself).

You would need the 5 lnb (for current set ups) to see the 119 sat.

With the PP they would also cover the change of dishes.

can I swap out the SW3 with the 5LNB? or do I need to change the dish out as well? Is it still a single cable coming to the receiver? Will I still need to use the 18v power supply inline?

can I swap out the SW3 with the 5LNB? or do I need to change the dish out as well? Is it still a single cable coming to the receiver? Will I still need to use the 18v power supply inline?

IF your swapping out the SWiM back to a 5 LNB (you CAN do that) make sure to unplug the PI and remove the splitter before powering up the 5 LNB set up.

Your getting things mixed up here.

The normal dish using a SL3 (Slimline 3 Dish) will have the LNB and the coax going to the recvrs.
There is probably 4 lines coming off the LNB, run those three to the ground block.
Run the correct coax from the Ground Block to the recvrs.
A DVR requires 2 lines in a normal set up.

The SL3 as well as the ones before that, get 13v and 18v from the recvr to chose the correct channel.
The SWM works differently with a 21V power supply.

No power supply required for the SL3 set up.

Yes, SW3, Power Inserter (PI) got it. So when I change out the Slimline-3S to the 5LNB, will I still have only one cable?

Ok, lets back up here. I have a Slimline-3S, a single cable from that to the power inserter and then to the receiver. I'm in an RV and the dish is on a tripod. I have 2 tuners and both work separately with the single cable.

Thanks for helping me out, not dense, just new to the terminology.

Ok, lets back up here. I have a Slimline-3S, a single cable from that to the power inserter and then to the receiver. I'm in an RV and the dish is on a tripod. I have 2 tuners and both work separately with the single cable.

Thanks for helping me out, not dense, just new to the terminology.

Someone else want to jump in here, I'm not familiar with the Single line Slimline, how does that work for a DVR that requires 2 lines ?

"Slimline-3S to the 5LNB"

Your confusing the model numbers I think

They had a Slimline 5 originally, 5 lnb and 4 outputs. (this saw all the sats )
Then they had a Slimline 3 lnb with 4 outputs. (This saw only the 99,101 and 103 sats, thats what they are currently using for the majority of the channels.)

Then they came out with the SWiM set ups.
SWM3 - Single Wire Multiswitch sees the same 3 sats the Slimline 3 sees. (1 line with Power Inseter to allow multiple signals on one line with PI running the voltage at 21v)

Ok, so to get sat 119, I need to replace my current dish with....? and if I cant continue to use a single cable (dont want to have to rewire the RV or drill new holes), then the point is moot :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.