99W on 6 ft dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Othea

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Hi everyone. After a long pause (about 2 years?) I've set up my 6ft stationary dish to bring in channels on 99W again. My earlier receiver was hit by a power surge during a storm, and I only replaced it recently with a Freesat V7, which is functional but has its quirks. I can get 3720H and 4000H reliably on 99W, but I can't bring in anything at all on 3811H. In the past -- perhaps too far in the past - I always found 6ft to be adequate for 99W here in northeast Georgia. Shouldn't I be able to at least get a partial lock on 3811H in clement weather? Any thoughts?

All these fta you buy for pennies on the dollar. Invest in a dreambox. I keep seeing cheap fta recievers that cant get this free to air channel and that free to air channel. Dreambox hd all the way..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Its been many years however I recall being able to receive the GDMX feeds on 99W with my old WSI 6ft dish. My first suggestion would be to go out to the dish and peak signal.

All these fta you buy for pennies on the dollar. Invest in a dreambox. I keep seeing cheap fta recievers that cant get this free to air channel and that free to air channel. Dreambox hd all the way..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. So
Its been many years however I recall being able to receive the GDMX feeds on 99W with my old WSI 6ft dish. My first suggestion would be to go out to the dish and peak signal.

Thanks for the suggestion mr3p, but my WSI has been peaked to the max! Any further micro-adjustment at this point will only degrade the signals that I now receive. Cable is brand new and good quality, w/ new lnb to replace its sundried predecessor. I've tried with a direct connection, without diseqc, but that didn't help. It could be, as DL76 suggests, the Freesat V7, but I'll wait for comment from someone who has tried the current crop of mini hd boxes on 99W.

Do you have a meter which you can enter that transponder? Short of trying a different receiver, that would at least allow you to confirm that you have signal lock.

Do you have a meter which you can enter that transponder? Short of trying a different receiver, that would at least allow you to confirm that you have signal lock.

Good suggestion; but, no, I don't have one. I've always just used STB firmware for setup. Do Mpeg-4 channels tend to require dishes larger than 6ft for c-band? Mpeg-2 HD seems to be OK on 99W w/ 6ft for me.

3811H comes in fine on a 10' dish but some have been having trouble on smaller dishes because of adjacent satellite interference. Might not be able to pick that one up now without a bigger dish. Checked Lesea on 4000H on the 7.5 footer and it's about 90Q but no 3811H there either.
Modulation has a larger affect than video encoding; 8psk or higher order S2 will require a higher S/N than QPSK, and more difficult to maintain proper data volumes. You may get a lock but not get a picture FEC also can affect reception, 1/2 will be much easier to lock than a 9/10 where some of the network feeds have it set.

You might also be able to move the dish slightly away from the interfering signal by 1/2 or 1 degree with your 6 footer... Might drop the interference enough to bring the Caribbean mux out of the noise for a lock. This would be of course at the expense of signals from other TPs on 99W.

I suspect your inability to get 3811 is a signal issue rather than the v7 tuner sensitivity.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts