A 622 for a non-HD subscriber

DougE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I currently own 2 721's, that as you know, have become very unreliable. I want to upgrade to a 622 but have no immediate plans to obtain HD (current TV is fine but not HD capable). If I purchase a 622 will DISH authorize it for just the Everything Pack (standard def)?

You will have to pay for the HD access which is $8 per month, I believe. This is because the 622 will pick up OTA HD channels. There is also a $6 monthly DVR fee and a $5 per month receiver fee if you have more than one receiver. Yeah, and the $5 phone line fee, if you do not keep it connectyed to a phone line. They fee you to death. Oh, and you will need to pay $5 per month for locals or you do not get the local epg.

Just to correct Jerry a little bit in the fees. The HD enabling fee is $6.00. Plus $5.98 DVR fee and $5.00 receiver fee if you have more than one receiver.

Since you said you want the everything pack, there is no DVR fee with that package.

I currently own 2 721's, that as you know, have become very unreliable. I want to upgrade to a 622 but have no immediate plans to obtain HD (current TV is fine but not HD capable). If I purchase a 622 will DISH authorize it for just the Everything Pack (standard def)?

My 721 is quite reliable. And it's five predecessors were all quite reliable, right up until they failed. :rolleyes:

I also have a 508 & a ViP622.

Frankly, for avoiding future hassle, I'd move to the ViP622 now, rather than have a non MPEG-4 DVR that will need to be replaced in another year or whenever you get an HDTV. You might look around, you may find an HDTV for less than you think.

BUT- if the 721s aren't broken yet, I'd stick it out until they are. It might be worth your while to get the DHPP. Then when one fails, they will replace it. And I know first hand, they have some on hand.

Thanks for all of the info. I think I will tough it out with my 2 721's (one is for backup, I only have one TV). But you are correct in going directly to the 622 (instead of a 625), since it will be outdated in a couple of years. Love this Board!!

My 721 is quite reliable. And it's five predecessors were all quite reliable, right up until they failed. :rolleyes:

I also have a 508 & a ViP622.

Frankly, for avoiding future hassle, I'd move to the ViP622 now, rather than have a non MPEG-4 DVR that will need to be replaced in another year or whenever you get an HDTV. You might look around, you may find an HDTV for less than you think.

BUT- if the 721s aren't broken yet, I'd stick it out until they are. It might be worth your while to get the DHPP. Then when one fails, they will replace it. And I know first hand, they have some on hand.

I also have 2-721's which have been rock solid (with the exception being when I accidently access Dish Home). I also have a 622. I'm going to hopefully wait as long as I can as to get the best deal to trade them straight across for Mpeg 4 compatible DVR's, (when E* completes the changeover from Mpeg 2 to 4). My guess is another 24 months at least. Only problem is when they swap STB's, I'll be paying 2 additional DVR fees that I'm not paying now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)