a basic stupid question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nyquill junkie

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
and this probably is pretty stupid.. but I will ask anyhow.
I dunno how it works, Ive always paid the fee, pointed the dish to one sat and bingo, there is all the channels I want or ask for.... PPV, basics, premiums ect.

now Ive always had a one lnb dish... I'll assume its always been pointed at 101.

ok stand back for the stupid question. :D

what is sat 110 and 119 for?

[as I understand] any channel or package i want to order, is all on 101.... so what does 110 and 119 carry??

see I told you it was a stupid question.... but its one I honestly don't know the answer to.

I did a search and did find out what the deal was with the transponders and whats on which one.

I couldn't find the answer to my particular stupid question.... :D

Hey NYquill,

If you have always been on one satellite, this is no where near a stupid question. DirecTV uses many separate"birds" it just happens that 101w is the "heart" that contains the core programming. Here is a great reference to learn whats on the sats over North America.

DirecTV has sats at 72.5w, 99.2w, 101.0w, 102.8w, 109.8w, 119.0w for our DBS use.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/america.html

Just click the "ChNo" link to see a great display of some offerings in this "packaged view".

Here is the list based on all the sat frequencies: http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

Enjoy the hunting.

Last edited:
ok, stupid question#2

if you have a 3 lnb dish, and you point it at 101 [sitting 90 degrees tilt] with all 3 lnb units hooked together with splitters, so you got all 3 working like one wide lnb....

will it give you a better picture/higher signal?

or is this just wishful thinking....

nyquill junkie said:
and who says ya learn nothing from a stupid question?

lol

Thanks!

Nyquill, 119 is also used for HD programming, but D* can change channels towhich ever sats they need.

Also as for your 90* tilt, that varies according to where you live, the sats are in an arch across the sky therefore in order to hit 3 different sats at the same time you have to tilt the LNB's which is done when you move the tilt positioning on the back, if you look at the LNB when your done setting it up, it will no longer be straight across.

My tilt is set at about 63*, you azmith and elevation (up and down and left and right) also changes according to where in the US you live.

Jimbo

that part I grasp... more or less. where I live I can hit 101 by setting the dish 38.2 elevation and 219.7 azimuth, with no tilt. so like I said it should be an easy hit to find all things being equal.

until the basics ain't on 101, I wont need to tilt... but this is all good to know.

nice site, the more I poke around the more I learn. I might take some extra cash and buy a cool-sat and a motor drive dish... I liked exploring with my old cband BUD before it got blasted by lighting yrs ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts