A better OTA solution please

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So U saying that with HR21 & AM21 You only need one AC Power Cord ?

Yes. You switch the power cord from the HR21 to the AM21 and connect a cord which is attached to the AM21 to the HR21 power input connector. They line up vertically and I didn't even have to remove the ties from the cord (same with the USB connection between the units).

Yes. You switch the power cord from the HR21 to the AM21 and connect a cord which is attached to the AM21 to the HR21 power input connector. They line up vertically and I didn't even have to remove the ties from the cord (same with the USB connection between the units).

Well, looks like the manufacturer used thier head when building this one.

btw, who IS the manufacturer ?

Jimbo

I thought that the USB connection acts like a dual passthrough power connection
meaning the HR21 would be supplying power through the USB.. and those requiring only one power cord plugged in.

I thought that the USB connection acts like a dual passthrough power connection
meaning the HR21 would be supplying power through the USB.. and those requiring only one power cord plugged in.

Possibly the USB port doesn't supply the necessary voltage/current for the tuners. Still, needing only a single outlet to power both is nice.

We've got people that live in markets where HD signals are not carried over the satellite. Some of these customers are leaving D*. People in smaller markets won't get these channels for a long time (or ever), even with D11 coming online in a couple of months.

Also, name 1 market where D* satellite carries all of the subchannels? Isn't there a "must carry" law in place? How will that apply to subchannels in the future?

The point made several times in the thread is MONEY... and this publicly traded company needs to squeeze out $10 a box from the ASTC tuner licensing fee or whatever. Well, what happens when you lose a customer that is pissed off he/she can't get local HD? That will surely cost more than $10 or $30 per customer. That will cost years of $80/month or so subscription fees. Is it worth it?

I thought big corporations were big into 6 Sigma and customer feedback? Well, if you are, listen to this suggestion. If not, blow this suggestion off and lose potential new customers who will just stay with Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, or Charter because they do (or will) carry local HD (or subchannels).

Dish Network makes 3 satellite receivers that have an internal OTA tuner, too. DirecTV is going away from that. Something's wrong with this business plan.

We've got people that live in markets where HD signals are not carried over the satellite. Some of these customers are leaving D*. People in smaller markets won't get these channels for a long time (or ever), even with D11 coming online in a couple of months.

Also, name 1 market where D* satellite carries all of the subchannels? Isn't there a "must carry" law in place? How will that apply to subchannels in the future?

The point made several times in the thread is MONEY... and this publicly traded company needs to squeeze out $10 a box from the ASTC tuner licensing fee or whatever. Well, what happens when you lose a customer that is pissed off he/she can't get local HD? That will surely cost more than $10 or $30 per customer. That will cost years of $80/month or so subscription fees. Is it worth it?

I thought big corporations were big into 6 Sigma and customer feedback? Well, if you are, listen to this suggestion. If not, blow this suggestion off and lose potential new customers who will just stay with Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, or Charter because they do (or will) carry local HD (or subchannels).

Dish Network makes 3 satellite receivers that have an internal OTA tuner, too. DirecTV is going away from that. Something's wrong with this business plan.

I understand part of your post.
D* is the one that started broadcasting LOCALS, not DISH, over the sat.
I do not know what the status of the sub channels over D*, I do not even know if they are required at all at this time.
This is the arguement FOR OTA antenna's...
I personally hope they put the OTA tuners back in but I am in the minority when it comes to people thinking that they will do this.

D* object , without saying it, is to be able to offer everyone thier locals via sat, thus creating no need for the OTA tuner ... However, they will always have areas that cannot be reached for thier locals.
That said, there is always going to be people who cannot get thier locals OTA as well.

D* objective is to be able to supply all 210 DMA's, I feel they have done a good job getting this going, while also implimenting the mpeg4 technology into the system.
I do not have MY locals available in HD on the sat yet, which is one reason I am real happy with my OTA antenna situation, I've been watching my locals in HD for many years now.

Jimbo

D* object , without saying it, is to be able to offer everyone thier locals via sat, thus creating no need for the OTA tuner ... However, they will always have areas that cannot be reached for thier locals.
That said, there is always going to be people who cannot get thier locals OTA as well.
Jimbo

D* is fighting must-carry legislation that would require carriage of subchannels. In one sense, they're right: carrying the primary channel provides the programming that a vast majority of people want to see; and carrying all of the subchannels will add cost and not benefit most people.

I view the subchannels and want to continue viewing them. I need an OTA solution to do that. Currently my H20's and HR20 all contain good OTA tuners. Popping a $10 tuner out of the H21/HR21/H23/HR23, then creating a standalone box to contain (presumably) the same $10 tuner, and costing much more than $10.... ??? :confused:

I'd prefer to pay an additional $25 for a model with internal OTA tuner. Let the masses who don't care save their pennies and use a H23/HR23.

Ditto Jimbo

...being in DMA #101 means that I am playing the waiting game. But with my antenna and HR20, I am not missing anything. And even when D* launches HD-LIL for me, I doubt that they will carry PBS's two subchannels (The South Carolina Channel and PBS-HD)...we already get PBS SD via sat now. So even after the HD-LIL rollout in my area, I will still need my antenna. There is no "valuable" content on the other major network subchanels in my area at this time (IMO), so I don't mind if D* doesn't carry them. So long as there is a solution in place - be it the HR20 with built-in OTA, or the HR21/AM21 combo - I am fine with it. I feel real sorry for anyone in lower DMA's who don't use or aren't helped by add-on antennas. But chances are, those people have access to DNS networks anyway. It may not be local, but they have an option.

As far as the "scan" option for those who are affected by overlapping markets, I think it would be great if they could add that feature to allow you pick up additional markets. But at least they are giving you 2 available markets to choose from in your setup. The design/engineering costs for the ability to choose three might not be worth it for the 1% or less who would benefit.

D* is fighting must-carry legislation that would require carriage of subchannels. In one sense, they're right: carrying the primary channel provides the programming that a vast majority of people want to see; and carrying all of the subchannels will add cost and not benefit most people.

I view the subchannels and want to continue viewing them. I need an OTA solution to do that. Currently my H20's and HR20 all contain good OTA tuners. Popping a $10 tuner out of the H21/HR21/H23/HR23, then creating a standalone box to contain (presumably) the same $10 tuner, and costing much more than $10.... ??? :confused:

I'd prefer to pay an additional $25 for a model with internal OTA tuner. Let the masses who don't care save their pennies and use a H23/HR23.

I agree 100 % with your post . :up

Some cities, mine use to be one of them, have a real nice weather radar on a sub channel. My local FOX station use to have a REAL time doppler, it was great, I used it all the time, then they took it away due to something to do with Childrens programming required.
Why they could not do BOTH, I have NO IDEA.

I would gladly pay an addl. $25 for a unit with an OTA tuner built in to it.
I feel they DO spend MORE money to build the add on unit, of course they are making an addl. $ 50 off each of them.

Jimbo

Ditto Jimbo

...being in DMA #101 means that I am playing the waiting game. But with my antenna and HR20, I am not missing anything. And even when D* launches HD-LIL for me, I doubt that they will carry PBS's two subchannels (The South Carolina Channel and PBS-HD)...we already get PBS SD via sat now. So even after the HD-LIL rollout in my area, I will still need my antenna. There is no "valuable" content on the other major network subchanels in my area at this time (IMO), so I don't mind if D* doesn't carry them. So long as there is a solution in place - be it the HR20 with built-in OTA, or the HR21/AM21 combo - I am fine with it. I feel real sorry for anyone in lower DMA's who don't use or aren't helped by add-on antennas. But chances are, those people have access to DNS networks anyway. It may not be local, but they have an option.

As far as the "scan" option for those who are affected by overlapping markets, I think it would be great if they could add that feature to allow you pick up additional markets. But at least they are giving you 2 available markets to choose from in your setup. The design/engineering costs for the ability to choose three might not be worth it for the 1% or less who would benefit.

Yes, I will STILL use my OTA antenna when D* does bring my locals in HD online, why pay anymore than you have to, it's FREE right now.

As for the Scan option, yes, I would like it back, I do not use it alot, but from time to time I will play around and use to pick up Columbus, which is nice on Saturday afternoons in the fall.
Other than that, you DO have a Primary and Secandary city set up available to you on the HR20's anyways. I set my Primary to Toledo, then turn the antenna and put the Secandary as Detroit..... I just have to remember to turn the antenna in that direction before changing the channel.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)