A Bit of Advise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I am not a FTA newbie BUT I have been out of the hobby for a while being in an APT a while. I may buy a setup as I am looking at homes. I was thinking about the AZBOX or OPENBOX, but looking for advise on what you guys think is the best box right now. I am looking for HD, 4:2:2 and likely C/Ku not sure about PVR at this time. I want a movable dish. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Is there any PC card that does most of what the AZBOX does? What are the pros & cons? Thanks

PCI cards are not know for blindscan capability, but they are inexpensive. They also require a little bit of attention to getting them running, but they work well. I have two that I use for testing and experimentation. Personally, I'd hate to have to use a PCI for all my TV, but using one for just 4:2:2 feeds would be a fine possibility. I think you'll be happier most of the time, with an Openbox, it's an easy to use receiver, and not nearly as kludgey as the Azbox. I have both ( in fact, now two of the Openbox varieties ) , as well as a Coolsat 8000. The Azbox is the last one that I choose to view a feed, even thought it is the most competent overall receiver.
:)

Hmm, decisions..... I was really looking at blindscan as a must-have, so maybe that again pushes me toward either the AZ or the OPEN.

Where did you purchase from? Thanks again

Azbox came from Rick's Satellite and first Openbox S9 from Sadoun in Columbus. If you get the Openbox, you won't have 4:2:2 capability, but you'll have a more nimble receiver. If you find you must have 4:2:2 , then a USB based PCI card solution , like the Profs 7500 is a good choice, in addition to the Openbox S9. The Azbox is complete in itself, but can be a challenge, and I find it kludgey, if that's a word. :)

I purchased Azbox from Rick's and I am well satisfied with the receiver and Rick's service. I was able to replace my Pansat 9200 with the Azbox quickly and efficiently. I have no problems using the Azbox and understanding the menus. Perhaps the Openbox is easier, but since I don't have one, I can't say. I found the Azbox as easy as the Pansat to understand and use. Good Luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)