a car rolled into my 10 ft "unimesh" dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

brita

Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
on 06/05/06 a car ran off the road and bounced and rolled into my front yard, bumping into the bottom left hand quarter of my 10 ft unimesh, polar mount dish, bending it upwards somewhat. did not hit the pole, just the bottom (left hand quarter) of the dish, breaking the connections to the 2 adjoining quarter sections as well as pulling the mesh of 3 of the 4 panels in that quarter away from the screws. also, the feedhorn cover flew off, and there are some spritzes of battery acid on the pole.

Overall, at first glance the damage seems to be minimal. My DSR 922 was turned off at the time and when I turned it back on I was able to activate the dishmover without any problem, but all I get for a picture is snowy screen. It acts like it's trying to come in but it's just snow. I have moved it to other satellites, left and right of the one it was sitting on, but ---- nothing. No sound, no picture.
It could have been knocked out of alignment.

I had bought the original setup (with a Uniden 7700) and separate dishmover box, 10 years ago. Had it installed by a professional (he really knew what he was doing), and had perfect reception. Despite storms and hurricanes no adjustment was ever necessary. Even now the mount seems undamaged, no scratches, no skid. 2-1/2 years ago, thanks to the brown-outs during hurricanes, we bought the DSR from Skyvision. I set it up myself. Then bought a Fortec to try and get the Outdoor Channel back, set it up according to instructions and got the Sportsman Channel instead as the other had moved to KU. Had also bought a new LNB for "digital" although the 10 + year old LNB worked fine.

I called the only local sat repair person left in this county and asked him to come out and for an estimate to repair the dish. He told me right then that I need a new dish, and that a 7-1/2 footer will do for my location, about 60 miles north of Tampa, Florida. He finally showed up almost 3 weeks later, barely looked at the dish and said an estimate would cost me $75.00, and that I need a new or used dish, cost ranging from $700 - $1,100 with installation.

He also said that the LNB could have been damaged from the impact etc. On the web I read somewhere that the "probe" inside the feedhorn is very sensitive and would be messed up by so much as a fingerprint. Needless to describe how devastated I am.
I can't afford another dish, the insurance company will not pay for a new dish (without depreciation for how long I've had the old one), besides that I may be hardheaded thinking that my old dish is quite usable just needs an adjustment and maybe spot welding in a couple small places where the damaged quarter (brackets) are broken off.

Being at a loss as to how to proceed, what damage to look for and how to get the dish realigned (i.e. angle, degrees and elevation etc), I wonder if some of you on this forum can give me some pointers since everyone around here seems to have gone to the small dish networks and the only other sat guy (my original installer) has gone on to get a better job. I've called another "former" sat guy a week ago and he hasn't shown up yet either.

Any help would be really very much appreciated at this point.
Thanks,
brita.

Their insurance company owes you a functional dish. Period.

Depreciation is for the insurance holder, not the victim.

Get 2 estimates to repair the dish, even an out of county one and present them to the guys insurance company.

If no satisfaction, file a claim with you insurance company and let the two companies fight it out.

Insurance companies always come in low, hoping you will go away.

DON'T - you did nothing wrong for all the hassle they are giving you.

philhu said:
Their insurance company owes you a functional dish. Period.

Depreciation is for the insurance holder, not the victim.

Get 2 estimates to repair the dish, even an out of county one and present them to the guys insurance company.

If no satisfaction, file a claim with you insurance company and let the two companies fight it out.

Insurance companies always come in low, hoping you will go away.

DON'T - you did nothing wrong for all the hassle they are giving you.

I agree with philhu here. His insurance needs to fix the problem (not give you crap). Bottom line is they will give you all the reasons why they should not pay for a new dish, however he damaged your (functional) dish and they are liable (up to his total $$ amount in coverage or your damage whichever is less). If they tell you anything else then get ahold of the regulating board in your area (we have an insurance commissioner and a "board", neither are as unbiased as they are supposed to be but this situation would seem to be pretty cut and dried).

I dont see why they are giving you problems though, Approx $1000 in damage is not that much, get your estimates, submit them and if it dosent work out then you have court (small claims in this area is $2500 or less) or you can do as Philhu says and just turn it into your insurance company (and let them duke it out).

That would probably be the route I would take (as long as you understand that your insurance company is out for themselves as well).

One thing that has not been mentioned. You definitely need a new system. If the dish is bent or broken, it cannot be repaired, and put back to the specs needed for good reception. The pole has battery acid on it, It will rust out and never hold paint again. The dish mover arm could have been stressed out to the point that it might not give a true arc. And the lnb would be your call, but if it were me, I would probably replace them, they are relatively fragile. The entire thing took quite a jar, and all of it depends on precision.

thanks all, for your encouraging input.

will look for another sat dealer in next counties and try to get used to the idea that we have to get another dish. I hate losing my micromesh as we had wanted to get KU LNB so we can get the Outdoor Channel back. My husband is retired military and now disabled and that's what he likes to watch, deer hunts.

Tonight we sort of stitched the dish together with some aluminum wire and it looks almost normal, then we put the old "regular" LNB back on to see if it would change anything at all. It didn't. I also forgot to mention that the feedhorn assembly is a buttonhook. I don't think they make "unimesh" any more, do they?

Many thanks and if anyone has additional suggestions, please let me know.

Brita

brita, sorry to hear about your dish. Maybe it won't take too long to get it working again. Thought I would mention that the Outdoor Channel is on C-band. You should be able to pick it up with the Fortec receiver on G10. It's at 4180 H 29270 according to lyngsat. But, I realize you are probably talking about 4dtv, as the Outdoor Channel is on X4 in DCII mode, which is ku. Here's to a quick recovery!

Al

Agreed

partyharty said:
I agree with philhu here. His insurance needs to fix the problem (not give you crap). Bottom line is they will give you all the reasons why they should not pay for a new dish, however he damaged your (functional) dish and they are liable (up to his total $$ amount in coverage or your damage whichever is less). If they tell you anything else then get ahold of the regulating board in your area (we have an insurance commissioner and a "board", neither are as unbiased as they are supposed to be but this situation would seem to be pretty cut and dried).

I dont see why they are giving you problems though, Approx $1000 in damage is not that much, get your estimates, submit them and if it dosent work out then you have court (small claims in this area is $2500 or less) or you can do as Philhu says and just turn it into your insurance company (and let them duke it out).

That would probably be the route I would take (as long as you understand that your insurance company is out for themselves as well).

I agree...I am not an attorney but I think that would fall under Negligent Liability in HIS policy! (Hopefully he has insurance!). As the others said, you could always file a claim under your own homeowners policy and let them go after his company.

It gets really interesting if you both happen to be insured by the same company (just had it happen to my mom's condo) There is no place for them to hide and subrogation is a "gimme".

Also the guy has some some sort of deductable that he will probably have to pay!

Regards
jeff

Even if not, you could recover the amount needed to repair/replace the dish in small claims court!

One other thing Brita, Look around the neighborhood and country side for old dishes that appear to be unused. Stop and ask if they would allow you to remove from their yard, for free of course. Right now I am using one that I got like that when a tornado got too close about five years ago, and I have two others waiting for the next loss. If they are mesh, take them apart in quarters and stack them up for future needs.

Quite frankly, go get some "professionals" (not that you could not deal with it just as well). Call Mark at Vidsat in Odessa (about 30 miles north of Tampa -you say you are 60 miles north) http://www.vidsat.com They do most of the Commercial stuff in the area for banks, grocery stores, drug stores, gas companies etc as well as working with a number of "so called professionals" http://www.vidsat.com/clients.htm

They are very good and that why I use them for all my stuff.

When you get the bill, approach your homeowners insurance as well - and both of you go after the other guy and his insurance. Even if you do not want to get your homeowners insurance involved.

Quite frankly, he has tons of commercial dishes that are used and taken out of commission at his place. He might have a used replacement that would make everyone happy.

No reason to waste your time trying to get back what you had when it was due to negligence of the other guy.

Last edited:
Again, many thanks for the additional suggestions/recommendations. Just what I had hoped for.
I will contact the 'vidsat' outfit in Odessa. If I give them an exact description of the damage and what the symptoms are maybe they don't even need to drive up here but can give a written estimate to me or directly to the insurance co. (that being the "you're in good hands" people).
Thanks to all the hurricanes we had we couldn't renew our home insurance. The driver's insurance lady was very pleasant and she sounded like they just need the estimate(s) to pay for the damage but cautioned me about the litttle matter of "new dish".
you all have given me much encouragement with your responses and I thank you very much, also for the forum which made it possible.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Have a happy Independence Day everyone.

Brita.

I called the only local sat repair person left in this county and asked him to come out and for an estimate to repair the dish. He told me right then that I need a new dish, and that a 7-1/2 footer will do for my location

Don't allow anybody to sell you a 7.5 foot dish. Yes, it may work ok but believe me it is not as good as your 10 foot dish. 8.5 feet is the minimum size that all the professionals recommend for c-band reception.

Florida C Band on 7.5 foot - even a 8.5 foot dish is a non-starter.

Just another reason to pass on someone that will cut corners like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)