A couple of Hopper questions

BradleyD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I have been notified by DISH that one of my receivers needs to be replaced by May 31. I am still on SD and am planning to move to HD anyway, although my dish will have to be relocated.

I only have 2 TV's (1080p) and will be going for a Hooper with sling and a Joey. I figure I'll get a 4K Joey if I can get answers to some questions since they say it will be released in 2Q. I have been unable to find answers to the following questions here or anywhere else perhaps because I am not searching correctly so any help is greatly appreciated.

1. I have read about the Joey being 4k UHD, but is the Hopper 4k or going to be also? I am asking because it would be nice if both tv's can watch 4k programs simultaneously and it seems odd that you could only watch 4k on the tv with the Joey.

2. Do tv's have to be 4k capable or can you get a 4k Joey (and 4k Hopper if it exists) and use it on a 1080p tv until you get a new 4k? I assume you can, but want to make sure.

3. Regarding picture-in-picture, but not worrying about 4k for this question.....With a Hopper, does one hdmi cable take the signal from 2 tuners on the Hopper for pip or do I have to connect hdmi to the tv and then use another connection type for the picture-in-picture?

Thanks

1. Eventually.
2. No need for TV to be 4K.
3. Just one cable, normally HDMI.

Thanks for the reply. I sure wish they would come out with a 4k Hopper soon. I don't really want to have to get another one when it comes out. I guess I'll have to talk to them and see what the deal is. I need to go ahead and call them and let them know I'm aware of the need to change a receiver. Thanks for the other answers.

I have been notified by DISH that one of my receivers needs to be replaced by May 31. I am still on SD and am planning to move to HD anyway, although my dish will have to be relocated.

I only have 2 TV's (1080p) and will be going for a Hooper with sling and a Joey. I figure I'll get a 4K Joey if I can get answers to some questions since they say it will be released in 2Q. I have been unable to find answers to the following questions here or anywhere else perhaps because I am not searching correctly so any help is greatly appreciated.

1. I have read about the Joey being 4k UHD, but is the Hopper 4k or going to be also? I am asking because it would be nice if both tv's can watch 4k programs simultaneously and it seems odd that you could only watch 4k on the tv with the Joey.

2. Do tv's have to be 4k capable or can you get a 4k Joey (and 4k Hopper if it exists) and use it on a 1080p tv until you get a new 4k? I assume you can, but want to make sure.

3. Regarding picture-in-picture, but not worrying about 4k for this question.....With a Hopper, does one hdmi cable take the signal from 2 tuners on the Hopper for pip or do I have to connect hdmi to the tv and then use another connection type for the picture-in-picture?

Thanks
The hopper will not be 4K

Not sure but likely you'll be able to use a non 4k TV. Picture in picture uses two tuners, one cable.

DISH said that 1080 tv's are fine with 4k Joey. She did not know how many tuners it will have and did not know if Hopper could use the 4k tuner on the Joey, but thought it should be able to as the Hopper/Super Joey share tuners now. They do not know when the 4k Joey will be released and do not have much info on it such as monthly fee. I got a 722 lined up to replace the old receivers until I get a HWS/Joey.

All joeys, other than the super joey, have zero tuners. They are clients. The Super Joey is still a client, but it offers two more tuners to the install. There has been zero indication that the 4K Joey will have a tuner like the SJ.

I suspect a 4K Hopper is at least a year away, probably longer.
Absent compelling content and a clearly defined "standard" to shoot for in the MCVP community, it is probably best to see how things shake out.

I'd hate to see them shoot for something super ultimate only to find out that the marketplace only demands today's narrow-bandwidth UHD.

As "far ahead" as the competitors (Comcast, DIRECTV) may appear, they really haven't shown any signs of going all in on UHD receivers and instead are leaning entirely on Samsung to deliver their UHD content to subscriber's eyeballs.

I've always got to laugh when somebody calls 'Dish' to get better info than they can get here. :oldlaugh
This ought to give you a sign. My agents came here to get info, that they would pass onto the team. I would then be unofficially tasked with verifying it. This site is GREAT!!!

Reactions: JSheridan
Interesting comments...

I simply wrote what I learned on the phone which is that there is not much info that they have received on the 4k joey yet and there is no idea when or if a 4k Hopper will arrive. The tech clearly admitted that and I had no problem with that fact. I expected that given what I had already learned here in this forum. I didn't expect that they would necessarily know more. I just asked while I was talking with the tech in my call to deal with the matter regarding my old receivers which I have found out may not work after April 1.

That being said, navychop was quite helpful and DISH's response to the same questions were the same as his first reply. Given the way he has addressed me, I can feel that he is someone to pay attention to in the future and I believe his second response here may be on target.

As for having a 4k Joey that does not have a tuner... that is interesting. I know Joeys don't have tuners while Super Joeys do and they share with Hoppers. To have no tuner but do 4k is interesting to consider. That it would use a tuner from the Hopper and then process it as 4k for itself is not something I had considered. However, that is all speculation. It's wait and see time.

navychop, once again, thanks for your help. It's nice to go to a forum and get answers quickly and be treated as you have treated me.

Reactions: navychop
I can say there are a lot of Dish employees who are really good, especially with the crap information they receive. DIRT are some of those agents. But even now, if I do not know the answer, I come here first, then I go to DIRT, and lastly Dish phone customer service. It is seriously roulette with them, and a pain in the ass, and just not worth the time, as much as I hate to say that. It sucks, because of how many GREAT agents there are, but they are so hard to get to.

I agree that technical support can sometimes be a pain and it is a main reason why I asked my original questions here in the first place. However, I do not feel that it is productive to bash them as a whole on forums such as this as I have seen done numerous times, especially in situations when they are not being provided the information which they need. To me, it is akin to the trolling that we see at times on this a Dish forum by those who dislike Dish and are DTV, etc. fanboys.

When the agent to whom I spoke gave me answers like those navychop had given, I knew that I had a pretty good tech. She was also helpful in answering my questions about equipment changes over a short period of time given that I have to stay with SD for a while until I can be prepared for HD (get what is needed done to have my dish relocated) which I hope to have completed by June. Additionally, when she did not know something, she told me so. I appreciated this greatly because I have found that it is the best way to go when supporting as I learned several years ago when I was in technical support in another industry.

Sounds like she was one of the ones on point.

As far as my answers go, I will try and keep them impersonal, but there are times I will give an opinionated statement. Probably been happening more lately, as I am stressed with all the crap going on right now, but still try to give the most accurate answer I can. I have slowed my role on the forums significantly these last couple weeks, as midterms are approaching and will be completed by Friday..... Still a crapload of work.

Just to let you know, my responses above were to the questions and statements made, for the most part in order, and I believe I quoted each one, but since most of it is done on my Iphone and moving the text around on there is a PITA, I may have missed the quotes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)