a&e hd on dish?

ww2154

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
A&E hd starts today, does anyone know when or if dish will carry this channel.

I bet it won't be for a bit. I don't recall reading that it has been uplinked yet.

If I recall properly, Food HD started in June, it was not uplinked until around the beginning of August, and then another few weeks before it went live to subs.

And it all depends on what contract E* has with A&E.

seems to be a direct simulcast and streched in such a way that makes the TNT-HD stretchovision look good in comparison.

I will check it today when I get home, but I have looked at it the past few days on ExpressVU and have not been impressed, but also understand that the channel is not officially on the air yet.

I don't like the BIG A&E HD logo in the corner.

I really dont understand why these channels insist on stretching, putting gray bars on the sides, or , as with espen, putting a stupid distracting logo on the sides.
My local stations simulcast everything on the HD channels. Material that is 4X3 is left 4X3 with black bars on the side. After a while you get to where you dont even notice the changes when it goes back and forth. By the way, the old SD 4X3 material must be upconverted somehow because it looks much better than it does on the SD feed from the same station.

zman said:
I really dont understand why these channels insist on stretching, putting gray bars on the sides, or , as with espen, putting a stupid distracting logo on the sides.

I agree with the stretching and dumb logos, but gray bars are actually functional as it is must less damaging to displays subject to burn in issues than black. The best solution would be for the display device to be able to allow color selection for side bars. Some already do this and can over-ride what is sent by the programmer.

Home Theater Magazine had an article a few months back on burn in and said that it is not a problem with most HD tv's.

A few of my locals do the stretch / zoom but still leave small black bars on the sides for 4x3 content... I've emailed them each probably 10 times asking for them not to stretch because we have TVs or scalers which can do the same zooming and stretching, properly keep it in aspect ratio and provide a better resulting image... and on top of it they will multicast duplicate versions of the main channel... they just don't get it.

Learn how to broadcast OAR properly then we'll yell at you for low bit rate!

:)

As someone with a TV that is susceptible to screen burn-in, I still think that broadcasting in 4:3 with black bars is the best option. I can hit a button on my remote to turn the bars gray (which I do) or can zoom or stretch the image as I like.

People with DLP or LCD sets should not have to deal with gray bars if they don't want them. And no one should be forced to watch stretched content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts