A&E HD To Launch Wednesday

MHD a big letdown

I have had MHD [MTV-HD] for a month on Comcast. Some good rock/country concerts and VH1 awards show ad infinity. They really don't have much new in January that wasn't there in Dec. So I wouldn't get too worked up about that one. We have Rave, which looks to be -very- similar.

How about Cinemax HD and TMC-HD [think this exists] for the movie lovers, RSN's in HD for the sports lovers. Me both.... :hungry:

I have had MHD [MTV-HD] for a month on Comcast. Some good rock/country concerts and VH1 awards show ad infinity. They really don't have much new in January that wasn't there in Dec. So I wouldn't get too worked up about that one. We have Rave, which looks to be -very- similar.

How about Cinemax HD and TMC-HD [think this exists] for the movie lovers, RSN's in HD for the sports lovers. Me both.... :hungry:

Yeah...HD Movie channels would be the best followed by RSN for the local sport junkies....Hey...cable has both shouldnt we?

If they get NESN-HD on the system, that might be enough to push me over the edge and trade up from my 811 for MPEG4 receiver.

(Actually, will probably keep the 811 since it would pretty much cost the same with the fees to have it as it would to send it back.)

If it has Csi Miami in HD I'll be happy ....

Just curious for anyone that might know, how does a 1080i original show look when its converted to 720p by another channel like A&E HD? I've not really experienced this type of thing, closest I recall is seeing 720p downconverts from BEV, but thats BEV doing it, not the programming provider.

No we are still hearing the buzz that we could see up to 3 new SD channels soon.

Lets hope its true.

(BTW those channels are Current TV, Hallmark Movie Channel and some A&E Crime channel which will permantely replace CourtTV.)

a&E WHO CARES? BIG DAM DEAL! CHARLIE IS A JOKE.

Some people can never be satisfied. The fact is, they're adding yet another HD channel to their lineup. There really isn't that much more that could be added.

RSN's have already been addressed at CES -- don't plan on it anytime soon.
CinemaxHD -- I'm really sure that's gonna get added soon with E*'s lawsuit

That leaves:

TMCHD, Versus/Golf, Outdoor, INHD, MHD

I would personally like to see TMC, Outdoor or INHD added, but this is better than nothing. RSN's do nothing for me, as FSN Cincinnati has no HD feed. :(

What would YOU prefer they add, that actually has a decent chance to be added? Meaning, not already addressed by Charlie saying "not enough content", or not involved in a lawsuit? There is no single channel they could add that would satisfy everyone.

If they added CinemaxHD or TMCHD, those without premium subscriptions might complain. Versus/Golf, people might not like sports content. Outdoor, people might not like the outdoor content. INHD or MHD, people might complain about repeats. RSN's, that would satisfy the most people I'm guessing, but what about those people who don't care about sports, or those like me, who have NO HD RSN?

All I'm saying is, be glad they added SOMETHING, rather than nothing, or betting the farm on satellites that are not up yet to add channels that do not exist yet.

A&E Crime? Sounds interesting... I love their documentary shows.

Court TV blundered... nobody cares that much.

So now it appears we'll have The CSI Channel (A&EHD) to go along with The Law and Order Channel (TNTHD). :D

A few quick questions for those familiar with A&EHD:

Do they still stretch non-HD content?
Do they ever show movies? If so, commercials?
Do they have pop up ads ala TNT?

Thanks

Last edited:
Very good points tsc! I like what you said here ""betting the farm on satellites that are not up yet to add channels that do not exist yet"". Sounds just like Direct Tv to me. :) Yeah like I have said there is just not that many new "'National Channels" with a HD version up and running. Since local channels are up would like to see Dish get some more Locals in HD going. :)

Scott,
Is there *ANY* buzz at all of any other hd channels going up then in the near future?

-B

My guess would maybe more locals in HD due to the fact there are very few new national channels that have a HD version of their channel. There is plenty of local markets left that Dish could add.

In regards to more HD...Scott, what is the "back story" on the once touted roll-out of some of the other Voom channels? Has Rainbow given up or E* just dropped the idea? Curious.:confused: