A&E HD To Launch Wednesday

The VIP211 and VIP411 and the VIP622 are the only MPEG4 receivers available.

BTW here is a copy of the email from dish annouincing A&E HD that I received today.

Attachments

• aandehd.jpg
    aandehd.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 371
What receivers are Mpeg 4 compatable?

Bill

ViP 622 (HD DVR)
ViP 211 (HD Receiver)
411 (the 211 without an ethernet port)

Coming soon
ViP 222 (the 211 with the ability to output signal to a second tv)
Can't remember the number right now but a single TV HDDVR (I think it was the ViP 612?)

As I understand it the other Voom channels are gone for good.

I wish they'd go back to the 10 channels they had before. I miss GuyTV and the Majestic. Even so I watch enough Monsters and Filmfest and Family that I'd miss Voom if it were gone. And my son is a soccer nut so he'd miss that.

Hope A&EHD is better than TNTHD or at least that it gets that way. I think the last thing I watched on A&E was Horatio Hornblower. That would be a good candidate for HD.

Aren't A&E and History and Biography all owned by the same parent company? If nothing else it's a positive sign that A&E is being added for when History/Biography go HD.

Last edited:
I wish they'd go back to the 10 channels they had before. I miss GuyTV and the Majestic. Even so I watch enough Monsters and Filmfest and Family that I'd miss Voom if it were gone. And my son is a soccer nut so he'd miss that.

Hope A&EHD is better than TNTHD or at least that it gets that way. I think the last thing I watched on A&E was Horatio Hornblower. That would be a good candidate for HD.

Aren't A&E and History and Biography all owned by the same parent company? If nothing else it's a positive sign that A&E is being added for when History/Biography go HD.

Yes, A&E, History, History International, History en sponol and Biography are all owned by A&E.

TNT HD is great when they are in HD. But when they are showing SD programs in stretch-o-vision I find it unwatchable. I really really wish they would put the program up in its true askect ratio and let the viewers decide if they want to streth the image themselves because there is not "unstretch" algorythm on my TVs! If A&E does the same stret-o-vision crap, they too would be unwatchable by me and a complete waste of bandwidth.

See ya
Tony

"...Okay but the Directv technology fee is only $10.99 , so what is Dish's going to be $20.00? ..."

Maybe because we get more national HD channels and at higher PQ.

TNT HD is great when they are in HD. But when they are showing SD programs in stretch-o-vision I find it unwatchable. I really really wish they would put the program up in its true askect ratio and let the viewers decide if they want to streth the image themselves because there is not "unstretch" algorythm on my TVs! If A&E does the same stret-o-vision crap, they too would be unwatchable by me and a complete waste of bandwidth.

See ya
Tony

Totally agree.

For those people who could care less for more sports channels, maybe E* should put the RSNHD channels in a separate sports package and charge separately for it. Let all the sports enthusiasts who want the channels pay for it.
Abolutely! We'd love to get a price break for dropping ALL sports channels SD and HD. But while we're at it let's drop ALL those shopping chanels too :)

Talon Dancer

The Shopping Channels pay Dish to be carried. Let's not jack up our bills even more.

For those people who could care less for more sports channels, maybe E* should put the RSNHD channels in a separate sports package and charge separately for it. Let all the sports enthusiasts who want the channels pay for it.

The SNs ARE ina separate package. With your base package you get only the RSN(s) that are local to you. Nit all of them. I would imagine it would be similar with the HD ones.

The Shopping Channels pay Dish to be carried. Let's not jack up our bills even more.
I understand that they pay Dish but they also take up valuable bandwidth on limited transponders in the process.

BTW the end member of this series is cheap TV at very low PQ on only a few channels you would actually watch but hundreds of channels in the guide that paid Dish to be carried. Oh wait a miniute, we are almost there now, except for the cheap part :)

Talon Dancer

Just curious for anyone that might know, how does a 1080i original show look when its converted to 720p by another channel like A&E HD? I've not really experienced this type of thing, closest I recall is seeing 720p downconverts from BEV, but thats BEV doing it, not the programming provider.

Hopefully, they will take the univerlsal 1080 24p master and just do a 720p 60dupe... and hopefully their master control is doing 720p and not alot to worry about... All the ABC Drams start off in 1080psf and go to 720 60. Since 1080i and 720 are divisible by 30 there should not be any major problems, They are probably requiring 720 down converts fom the 1080p source lets hope!

Hopefully, they will take the univerlsal 1080 24p master and just do a 720p 60dupe... and hopefully their master control is doing 720p and not alot to worry about... All the ABC Drams start off in 1080psf and go to 720 60. Since 1080i and 720 are divisible by 30 there should not be any major problems, They are probably requiring 720 down converts fom the 1080p source lets hope!

Oh I forgot about the ABC movies.. Yeah those look good, so lets hope A&E does similar treatment for their 720p stuff.

My mistake 1280x1080, and it's mpeg2 hidden with a mpeg4 skin! It's mpeg2 but only mpeg4 recievers can see it!

Wrong again. It's 1280x720p. That was posted on one of the first few pages.

richiephx said:

Well, then I don't want to pay for cooking shows or the Disney channel or lifetime or oxygen or a bunch of other crap that I never watch, but E* is not going to do this. I wish they would just go a la carte but that will never happen. If I could choose the channels I wanted, I'd probably have about 30-40 and that would be it. The rest of them could go in the garbage for all I care.

I just got this in my inbox...

Effective January 31, 2007 by 5pm ET, DISH Network will launch A&E HD into America’s Top 100+HD & higher (formerly DISH HD Bronze) on channel 9419.

And in MY inbox this am from SWANNI
TV Service Adds A&E HD

A TV service has just added A&E HD. Despite rumors to the contrary, it's not EchoStar.

To find out who it is, text subscribers go to:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/att013007.htm

HTML subs: Click Below!
TV Service Adds A&E HD

I sure HOPE OLD PHIL is wrong on this I guess we will know by 5 PM today

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts