A&E HD To Launch Wednesday

I still think D* is working on their own suit of HD channels, but based on their sd counterparts, like Speed (i've seen some clips on ESPNHD), FX (already available in UK), Fox Soccer Channel (EPL next season, since this season will be exclusive to UK).

In regards to more HD...Scott, what is the "back story" on the once touted roll-out of some of the other Voom channels? Has Rainbow given up or E* just dropped the idea? Curious.:confused:

There are no other Voom channels. They rolled them all into a new lineup of fewer channels but (supposedly) fewer repeats. Less bandwidth requirements, perhaps an easier sell since they want to sell them as a package.

There was some talk that Voom was going to ramp up production and have fewer repeats. Don't know where that went.

In regards to more HD...Scott, what is the "back story" on the once touted roll-out of some of the other Voom channels? Has Rainbow given up or E* just dropped the idea? Curious.:confused:

What is left? The VOOM website discusses 15 channels and it looks like they are all on my guide. What am i missing?

Sorry Navychop answered it before I could ask it. Now that is service!

Last edited:
I will welcome A&EHD, just keep bringing them on. While you are at it Charlie get me some guide info on my local channels.

What is left? The VOOM website discusses 15 channels and it looks like they are all on my guide. What am i missing?

Sorry Navychop answered it before I could ask it. Now that is service!

Actually, lakebum431 answered it, I just wanted to beat it to death. ;)

I will welcome A&EHD, just keep bringing them on. While you are at it Charlie get me some guide info on my local channels.

MrUss,

Isn't it nice to see DirecTV (the self proclaimed leader in HD) has yet to add StarzHD, FoodHD, HGTVHD, A&EHD, or the 15 Voom Channels.

John

TNT HD was like that in the begginging and so was ESPN HD... and they have both improved over time. Far from perfect but much improved.
I agree and understand. It's just, people get soooo worked up over one new HD channel. You can be sure there'll be numerous posts from people announcing "A&E HD is on the air!!" tomorrow.... :D

I'm certainly not against adding HD channels and I know things will improve over time. I don't know when TNT HD came on the air, but I had a few years ago with Time Warner and still have it today. I like the channel too. They do re-run a LOT of stuff, but I certainly watch it often enough. Now, if only it didn't have commercials.... I'm not interested enough in their shows to DVR them either. I'll watch it since it's on, but not record it.

MrUss,

Isn't it nice to see DirecTV (the self proclaimed leader in HD) has yet to add StarzHD, FoodHD, HGTVHD, A&EHD, or the 15 Voom Channels.

John

Yeah really. Direct has fallen behind but at least they will get the new birds up to support more HD. But by the time they get more HD everyone else will already have it. :)

So now it appears we'll have The CSI Channel (A&EHD) to go along with The Law and Order Channel (TNTHD). :D

I agree, this is exactly what it will be! Dish finally threw us a bone just to say they did, but this channel will be way watered down and probally not worth watching in stretch-ovision HD! Maybe in time it will, but 1280x1920 will not get it and I bet the birate will be around 10 to 12, what a joke! :(

Another useless HD Channel. Where the hell are the damn HD RSNs? Does Charlie think customers want to watch this content , instead of their local teams in HD? What a Joke!

I agree, this is exactly what it will be! Dish finally threw us a bone just to say they did, but this channel will be way watered down and probally not worth watching in stretch-ovision HD! Maybe in time it will, but 1280x1920 will not get it and I bet the birate will be around 10 to 12, what a joke! :(

1280x1920?

And with MPEG-4, 10 to 12 Mbps would be great! Overkill, even.

For those people who could care less for more sports channels, maybe E* should put the RSNHD channels in a separate sports package and charge separately for it. Let all the sports enthusiasts who want the channels pay for it.

What will happen to LatinoHD and Great Wall HD package customers? They don't receive the SD versions now.

That is 100% incorrect.

They are doing a tiered system for HD channels.

The only way people will see National Geographic HD is if they also receive the SD version of the National Geographic Channel in their programming package.

From now on all channels added will be done on a teir basis, so if you get the SD version in your package you will also get the HD version.

I understand that in the future Dish may rename the HD Package and call it a "HD Technology Fee".

That is 100% incorrect.

They are doing a tiered system for HD channels.

The only way people will see National Geographic HD is if they also receive the SD version of the National Geographic Channel in their programming package.

From now on all channels added will be done on a teir basis, so if you get the SD version in your package you will also get the HD version.

I understand that in the future Dish may rename the HD Package and call it a "HD Technology Fee".

Just like Directv does? Okay but the Directv technology fee is only $10.99 , so what is Dish's going to be $20.00? If so this will make Dish more expensive in comparison then Directv or Cable or ATT -uverse etc. I like the idea of adding the hd channels if you get the sd ones . I said this should happen, but I don't like the idea of charging the extra money at $20.00 for the hd versions. What happens to the hd enabeling fee? Does it go away and you get charged the tech fee just like Directv is going to do with all hd receivers ? Meaning you don't get any choice any longer with hd receivers and the hd channels. Or is this a new tech fee IN addition to the hd pack at $20.00?

Last edited:
No we are still hearing the buzz that we could see up to 3 new SD channels soon.

Lets hope its true.

(BTW those channels are Current TV, Hallmark Movie Channel and some A&E Crime channel which will permantely replace CourtTV.)

I still want TV One added. Most of the other carriers serving a diverse population have added it.