A&E HD To Launch Wednesday

It's always fun to have something new appear in my HD guide and I'm pleased by this announcement. We enjoy A&E programming and I'll opt for upconverted stretch-o-vision over the overly compressed SD version.

It's always fun to have something new appear in my HD guide and I'm pleased by this announcement. We enjoy A&E programming and I'll opt for upconverted stretch-o-vision over the overly compressed SD version.

thjat sia good point. I have bnoticed taht even when ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are showing SD it tends to look better than it soes on the SD channel. I am not advocating adding second cahannels like this but it may help somewaht.

Bleh, what a joke. Nothing but CSI and other legal procedurals, along with occasion 24. Not even worth watching.

I am not one to complain about more HD, and i know that there are people who will be excited about this, but I doubt I will ever watch it.

For me I want MHD, Comedy Central, and Sci Fi. Give me those and I will be happy!

For those of you who love police procedurals though, you have got to be in heaven! :)

Scott , when you said that Dish was considering the tech fee instead of the hd pack , did you mean next month - february or do you mean next year in February. I am really wondering how this will work and whether they will charge the same fee like Directv does for $10.99 ? If so will they drop the price of the programming or will it be considered a premium pack and they still charge a tech fee? Can you elaborate on this message.

No time frame on that. Its just the wa they are heading, it would be a year or more, but the groundwork is already laid.

The problem is VOOM, they need to pay for it, if they moved to a technology fee now, how many people would pay for voom still, this is why its still part of an HD package.

"The problem is VOOM, they need to pay for it, if they moved to a technology fee now, how many people would pay for voom still, this is why its still part of an HD package."

They are basically forcing us to get VOOM. I get the feeling from new E* HD subscribers that they like VOOM. Old timers are not so thrilled about VOOM. It's all about the repeats.

Lot of repeats. But just last night I found something new I want to watch and DVR'd it.

No time frame on that. Its just the wa they are heading, it would be a year or more, but the groundwork is already laid.

The problem is VOOM, they need to pay for it, if they moved to a technology fee now, how many people would pay for voom still, this is why its still part of an HD package.

So they must have been reading our polls on this forum about whether we would pay for the Voom channels or have them removed from the hd pack. I suggested this tech fee as being a good alternative after I read Directv was doing this. I think it makes sense to add the hd version of the channel if you already paid for the sd eqivalent in your programming pack. I can't see them to continue to charge more and more for hd by itself as they add more hd . People will stop subscribing to the hd pack if it goes up higher than what it already is - even if they keep adding hd channels.

I know that the origional agreement to carry Voom depended on having the Voom channels included in the hd pack. But what happens if Dish does away with the hd pack and just adds the tech fee? Does that negate the agreement? If they had to, they could include the Voom channels as part of the premiums like Hbo /Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/playboy. After all the price of the hd pack went from 9.99 to 14.99 when they first added the first 10 Voom channels. The price of all 15 could be sold for $10.00. I can't see them including the Voom channels as part of the regular programming packs unless they upgrade all their subs to the mpeg 4 hd receivers within the year.

Bleh, what a joke. Nothing but CSI and other legal procedurals, along with occasion 24. Not even worth watching.

I am not one to complain about more HD, and i know that there are people who will be excited about this, but I doubt I will ever watch it.

For me I want MHD, Comedy Central, and Sci Fi. Give me those and I will be happy!

For those of you who love police procedurals though, you have got to be in heaven! :)

If you don't like repeats then you will not like MHD. I have both rave and mhd and rave is better.

thjat sia good point. I have bnoticed taht even when ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are showing SD it tends to look better than it soes on the SD channel. I am not advocating adding second cahannels like this but it may help somewaht.

I'm glad that you agree and went to the trouble of saying so while typing with your toes. ;)

I would like to see MASN added---HD or not.

I saw the following in a sports forum FWIW:

I'm the GM of a satellite company who is an authorized Dish Network dealer. I was at the CES Show in Las Vegas 3 weeks ago and was told by Jim DeFranco, VP of Dish Operations, that they are currently in negotiations with MASN and should have MASN up on Dish before Spring Training begins.

That's been the general consensus about A&E HD.... Nothing to get excited about it seems.

I would imagine that this channel is like TNT-HD only much worse.

I hardly ever watch TNT because of all the 'stretch-o-vision' stuff that they have/had. Are they any better these days than, let's say, two or so years ago?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)