A&E HD To Launch Wednesday

When my wife found out that 24 was in hd, I pretty much knew I was gonna have to install an antenna in the attic to pull in the other station. Today, with a 25 dollar uhf antenna from rat shack, and a 20 dollar amp from walmart, I get a 80% signal from the next closest fox station, 60 some miles away. We live half a mile from an airport in its path too :)

I hope a&e can pull it together.

Last edited:
Well, my next closest FOX is about 120 miles away, plus I'm surrounded by pine trees. So it would take a heck of an antenna to pull that in. I'll just wait. Hopefully within a few weeks. *crosses fingers*

You're not the only one

Well, then I don't want to pay for cooking shows or the Disney channel or lifetime or oxygen or a bunch of other crap that I never watch, but E* is not going to do this. I wish they would just go a la carte but that will never happen. If I could choose the channels I wanted, I'd probably have about 30-40 and that would be it. The rest of them could go in the garbage for all I care.

Ole' Chuck would love this as well, along with D*, cable, and whoever else doesn't own the programming. They have no choice in the matter, they have to carry the whole bundle (ESPN, Disney, etc.). Can't remember why there is little or no choice, but I am positive it is this way.

I was watching C-SPAN a while back when I saw a congressional hearing concerning media decency issues. Everybody was there from Sat/Cable, Networks, Motion Picture Assoc., Internet, Radio, the "everything should just be Jesus shows" guy, the actor who got his head cut off by Tony Soprano a few seasons ago (what's his name?)...a who's who of media.

Anyway, the subject of teirs came up and creating a "family" teir, and boy, if that didn't open the flood gates. All the carriers, including Chuck, were practically on their knees begging Congress to allow 100% a la cart offerings. Again, I don't know what this "must carry" business is about, or if it is something else than the "must carry" law, but Chuck and D* most certainly hate it. They don't want to waste bandwidth on a piece of crap channel that no one watches. But they must, if they want to carry something marketable like ESPN who also owns that crappy channel. All or nothing. For some reason they can't negotiate this or is very limited in negotiating.

Of course, the networks and owners of the programming vehemently oppose because upstart channels would never have a chance to succeed otherwise, so they say.

I don't think it's a matter of Congress "allowing" a la carte, I think it's a matter of Congress mandating that the content providers offer it. I don't see Congress interfering.

Yes. That is the impression I got ...a law that mandates they carry the crap channels with the good channels. They, Chuck & Friends really wanted to be able to offer a la cart....that was crystal clear.

No prestreched programming and some darn good looking hd. Sounds, like A&E has the right idea. And, now that many more people will be demanding quality, it should only be a short time before they get their act together. Oh wait, Universal has been around for how long?

I did catch some SD programming earlier and it did nots eem to be stretched. So there is hope.

sd widescreen? couldnt have been broadcast like that...and if they are re-airing the broadcast episodes that were not in hd, it would make sense that it is still 4:3...

Yes it was broadcast in SD widescreen. At the time; Fox was calling 480p Widescreen that they were broadcasting on the HD channel "Fox Widescreen". This was then letter boxed for the 4:3 SD analog station.

E*, D*, and cable cos. would like to be able to offer 100% a la cart in addition to the packages they have now. If a person wants to pay Chuck for one channel (for example ESPN @ $10/mo and NOTHING ELSE), Chuck and friends are unable to do this. At present they can't, but they would like to. They were asking Congress for help in removing roadblocks.

(one channel subscription is just an extreme hypothetical to get my point across, not a viable business model, lol)

Well 1st it's folks need to remember its a new channel and the network itself will improve over time.

SD wasn't stretched. HD didn't approach CBS OTA (CSI Miami) but it didn't look that bad (the little I actually watched of it). They've done decent things like Horatio Hornblower and Longitude in the past. Now seem mired in reruns of reruns. Hope the investment in HD means they will be doing new programs/mini-series/movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)