a few beginner questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DadGuy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Greetings all...

I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to on Directv's site. Any help appreciated... I recently purchased a pioneer 43" plasma tv and have been a regular directv subscriber for about 12 years. I plan on ordering an hd receiver and dish but I had a few questions:

1. If I order the hd receiver and dish with installation, can I also order a separate dvr receiver for a second room and take advantage of both rebates? That seems alot less expensive than buying the hd/dvr combo

2. Are the local channels available in HD through directv in the seattle market yet? If not is it a good deal to pay the 49 bucks for the on air antenna or is it so imminent that it will be available that I should just be patient and save the money?

3. If I put a dvr/receiver in a second room, is the recorded content of that dvr available to the other system in the main room of the house?

4. If I move my standard dish I own now, to a vacation house, can I take a receiver from my house with me and access programming there without additional cost?

I appreciate any responses at all, and since this is my first post if I've done this poorly flames will guide me...

Thanks

Dadguy

First: Welcome!

1. That is a question best for DirecTV or our board sponsor Robert @ ValueElectronics.com (You get a discount for mentioning you're a member here)

2. No, but coming soon. You are DMA #13.

2b. No, buy you own antenna based on you proximity and distance to the towers. You can get better antennas for the money$. Check www.antennaweb.org

3. Yes, if you use a stand-alone DVR that works with DBS and does ethernet sharing. I do not think the built-in DBS/DVRs do sharing, but I can be corrected.

4. Yes, BUT depending on the distance and the DMA of that vacation home, you might lose your locals access due to spot beaming.

1- I don't know.

2- If you can get them OTA why pay extra for a compressed signal?

3- Only if you run a cable to the other TV or buy a wireless video sender. The HD boxes aren't networkable yet.

4- Yes the SD progrmming.

Welcome to Satguys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)