A few Hopper questions

DanM64

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Mokena, IL
I've had service through Dish for about 12 years. Currently I have 2 HDTV's. One is hooked up via HDMI to a 722k and the other tv is hooked up to a 922 via HDMI. I have a tube tv which is currently not hooked up. I am considering upgrading to the Hopper system using 1 hopper and 2 Joeys.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that I can transfer the DVR recordings from my 922 to the Hopper. How do I do this? I don't really yave anything on the 722k that I need to keep, but I have a lot on the 922 I still need.

Also, how am I able to hook the tv's up? My bedroom tv would have a Joey, am I able to recieve HD programming via HDMI with a Joey? The tube tv needs to be hooked up via coax for now, am I able to do that, and can the coax be easily switched to HDMI in the future?

It seems like the interface is about the same as my 922 which I like a lot. I assume the Sling player works just as well. I have noticed the HD channels look slightly better on the 922 than the 722k, hopefully the Hopper system looks even better!

Thanks for all your help!

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that I can transfer the DVR recordings from my 922 to the Hopper. How do I do this? I don't really yave anything on the 722k that I need to keep, but I have a lot on the 922 I still need.

You would need an external hard drive to do this. Here is a link with the requirements and step by step instructions. http://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd?WT.svl=gsearch_results

Also, how am I able to hook the tv's up? My bedroom tv would have a Joey, am I able to recieve HD programming via HDMI with a Joey? The tube tv needs to be hooked up via coax for now, am I able to do that, and can the coax be easily switched to HDMI in the future?

Correct, the Joey would allow you to connect via HDMI. The Hopper and Joey do not have a coax output. You would need to connect via HDMI, component or composite cables. The Joey does not have component outputs. You could purchase an RF modulator if you needed to connect a TV with coax.

You would transfer your 922 or 722 recordings to an external hard drive

Yes, Joey has HDMI.

Hopper/Joey do not have coaxial output. They do have composite outputs to which you could connect an RF modulator, mirrored.

Awesome, thanks so much! The SDTV does have composite inputs, so I can just hook it up that way for now. I hope to replace that set with an HDTV sometime in the future anyway. Can I use any external HDD to back up my 922 recordings and transfer to the Hopper, or is there a list out there somewhere of compatible drives?

Based on the info from you guys, I think I'll call tomorrow and upgrade to the Hopper system.

Almost any will do. Max is 2 tb. It is recommended have it's own power supply. A lot of people have had good luck with the WD My Book drives.. The Hopper will support 2 ehd's at a time.

Make sure you ask for a Hopper with Sling if you want that capability. I used to have a regular hopper with a Sling Adaptor, and the HWS works better (and it has additional benefits like transfers to iOS and Android (soon!) devices. Faster, too.
Brad

If you have the 922 now you won't have a problem transitioning to the Hopper. The menus and guide are very similar. I had the 922 before the Hopper and it didn't feel like much of a change.

Also, you do not have to transfer EHD recordings back to Hopper. In fact, most people don't.

One last question. If I decided to instead go with a setup of 1 HWS, then another Hopper and 1 Joey, would the DVR from one Hopper be viewable on the other? I haven't decided if I want to go with a 1 HWS/2J, or 1 HWS, 1 H/J setup yet.

Also if a DIRT member could contact me via e-mail that would be appreciated. For some reason I'm not able to receive or send any PMs on the forum. Thanks!

Hopper can view another hopper recordings. I have a two hopper/one Joey set up. It's a great set up. This set up for me eliminates any tuner conflicts for me , I view Prime time anytime shows from another hopper and have it off on the other

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)