a few questions about Enigma2 and TNAP4.1 in particular

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
I just got an OSMIO4K+ and am setting it up to be the main receiver, in the living room, and want to make it as functional as I can. Among the features I want to use is the timeshift capability. I also will want to record shows. I was wondering how Enigma2 manages disk space. My worry is that someone will pause live TV, and forget about it, and the timeshift buffer file will keep growing, maybe to the point that the next schedule recording will fail because of lack of disk space. Idealy I would have liked to setup the scheduled recordings and the timeshifts on separate partitions of the hard drive, but that was not an option when I initialized the drive.

So is there a way to have partitions? Or is there a way to specify the max size of the timeshift file? Any suggestions?

Another question... one feature I have seen on some cable box DVRs is that when you fast-forward and then find what you were looking for, and then press "play" it will actually start playing a few seconds prior to the timestamp where you pressed "play", in order to account for human reaction delay. It is a really nice feature, makes the whole playback experience much easier. I was wondering if there was any setting in Enigma2 that would mimick that feature. (I might have asked that same question in the past but could not find the old post if there was one - sorry if that's the case)

All of my storage is on a 1tb external USB drive. Easy. Plug it in, prep it in the receiver menus. Good to go.
As for recording. Yes. You can start X minutes and stop X minutes.
There is a setting to check for disk space. The recording settings menu is feature rich.
Since the received signal is live. I'm not too sure you can start recording prior to the command.
Cable TV and streaming services are another animal. They buffer and store before sending out to your box.
Not so sure on partitions either. I haven't seen the option 'in my face'. Guys?
But house keeping over FTP is a breeze. Just slap a big drive in your PC or an external one for a laptop and move files around.

Reactions: Brct203
Setup>System>Expert Settings>Recording paths: Timeshift location.
You could insert a USB memory stick in the second USB slot (on side of receiver) and configure timeshift info to be recorded to it. I have a 100+ GB stick that can hold hours of recordings.

Though I use that second USB slot to connect my Hauppauge USB receiver as Tuner C.

I recently discovered when using the PVR that there are preconfigured keys for time jumps as follows:
1: Back 15 seconds
3: Forward 15 seconds
4: Back 1 minute
6: Forward 1 minute
7: Back 5 minutes
9: Forward 5 minutes

Using these keys, I don't even see most ads. You get used to how much commercial time is inserted in a given show and play the keyboard as necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brct203
Setup>System>Expert Settings>Recording paths: Timeshift location.
You could insert a USB memory stick in the second USB slot (on side of receiver) and configure timeshift info to be recorded to it. I have a 100+ GB stick that can hold hours of recordings.

Though I use that second USB slot to connect my Hauppauge USB receiver as Receiver C.

I recently discovered when using the PVR that there are preconfigured keys for time jumps as follows:
1: Back 15 seconds
3: Forward 15 seconds
4: Back 1 minute
6: Forward 1 minute
7: Back 5 minutes
9: Forward 5 minutes

Using these keys, I don't even see most ads. You get used to how much commercial time is inserted in a given show and play the keyboard as necessary.
good point about the preconfigured key! I think that those values are even configurable, so that could be very useful.

I also use the second USB for a 950Q ATSC tuner, that's why I was hoping to partition the one hard drive, or use quotas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)