A few questions about HD and Dish 500

trooper7648

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
1) Can a single Dish 500 with dual LNB receive both HD channels and all regular satellite channels? I have heard that HD channels are on a different satellite.

2) What is the difference between a regular Dish and Dish 500? I have heard many different explanations. Does Dish 500 receive signal from 2 different satellites?

Yes a Dish 500 receives the HD channels. A dish 500 picks up the 119 and 110 sats. By a regular dish I guess you mean a Dish 300 and that only gets 1 sat location. Hd comes off the 110 for the most part.

trooper7648 said:
1) Can a single Dish 500 with dual LNB receive both HD channels and all regular satellite channels? I have heard that HD channels are on a different satellite.

2) What is the difference between a regular Dish and Dish 500? I have heard many different explanations. Does Dish 500 receive signal from 2 different satellites?

A DISH500 is normally used to receive the main programming from satellites 110 and 119. A DISH500 can also be repointed to pick up some HD programming from the wing satellites 61.5 or 148. You can also use a DISH300 which is designed to pick up a single orbital location for 61.5 or 148. There is no single dish that can be used to pick up "regular" channels and all HD channels since some HD channels are on 110 and others on the wings (such as the HD feeds of CBS).

Thanks for the quick replies... One last question, does 1 LNB receive signal from 1 satellite and 2nd from the other? Does it matter which LNB cable you plug into you HD receiver?

Thanks!

trooper7648 said:
Thanks for the quick replies... One last question, does 1 LNB receive signal from 1 satellite and 2nd from the other? Does it matter which LNB cable you plug into you HD receiver?

Thanks!

Oh boy. That gets complicated. I'm sure SimpleSimon will be along shortly to explain that one.

trooper7648 said:
One last question, does 1 LNB receive signal from 1 satellite and 2nd from the other? Does it matter which LNB cable you plug into you HD receiver?
Each LNB points at a different satellite. Dish 500 typically comes with 2 dual LNBs or a Twin (legacy versions) or a DishPro Twin. Since earlier you said "Dish 500 with dual LNB" and now you're asking which cable, I'll assume you have a Twin. You can use either output - all forms of the Twin and Quad have 2 LNBs and a built-in switch allowing a connected receiver to see either LNB.

Check the EKB HDTV Page for the channel and satellite line-up and links to receiver information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)